Serious Weight

silverjay

Get Out of the Cold
Reaction score
BTW the entire back seat only weighs 45 lbs. so you won't lose as much as you think when you remove it.
Since he is keeping his as a DD.

matt texass

Reaction score
does that include seat belts and harnesses? no fits back there any way and all the little things sure do add up

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I had my cage put in I got a first hand shocker at the mass of the stock seats.

I didn't actually weigh them, but my guess is about 120 lbs for the driver seat and about 70 lbs for the passenger seat. New seats are on my mod list.

The back seat to me weighed about 5 lbs...:tdown:

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Put a remote control in your car and you can easily win 160lbs !
:laughlots:
Does any rules of the nhra actualy say that you'll have to be in your car ?

:makeadeal:

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Oh yea and move the batt to the back for weight transfer

Actually moving the battery will ADD weight. The weight of the 2 gauge cables running all they way to the back increases the weight, plus you add tie downs and a battery box.

travelers

Reaction score
Well the batt is put there of weight where you need it, behind the rear. and you already have a batt box and the relocation is a large benifit.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
The battery being behind the front wheels stock is already a huge improvement over the 79-04 stangs where it was hung out on the very front of the car behind the headlights. A lightweight battery in the stock location will be just as effective as a relocated battery in these cars for 99.99% of the people drving them. If you "need" the weight back there then you need more money in your suspension, better tires, more time tuning the suspension or a combination of the 3. The only reason I can see to do a battery relocation is if you need the room for something else i.e. fuel cell for nitrous, intercooler reservoir, or turbo kit that relocates the PCM there.

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've looked into replacing the glass with lexan, but the weight savings wasn't worth having Lexan to me. I've been told the back window is about 30#'s. The glass is pretty thin. I don't care for that look anyways.
K-member
A-arms
radiator support
struts
brakes
manual rack
manual brakes
fuel cell in the spare tire location
cross member behind the front bumper 22lbs.
exhaust is a big one too
seats is a big one
the rear seat delete wasn't worth loosing the full trim interior, not that anyone can sit there with the 10pt cage
wheels and tires shave a lot of rotating weight
radio/speakers
there's nothing in the doors to remove besides speakers

ShawnyB

Street Veteran
Reaction score
There is also a "ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL" to replace the factory steel one for the clutch.About 13lb savings
In addition, I had my MOTOR MOUNTs changed. The stock ones were 2 very heavy big Rubber/Steel hydraulic units probably 15 lbs each - the replacements were stiffer Prothane Urathane Aluminum BULLET (not "billet") mounts that couldn't way more than 4lbs each.
Also I replaced my exhaust manifolds with some BBK shorty headers - weight savings there as well.
I gut the car whenever I go to the track - the Back seats+passenger front seat+rear mat+sparetire/jack= 105lbs I weighed it all on a scale.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
manual rack
manual brakes
fuel cell in the spare tire location
Those get into mods that start excluding you from various classes - headed into the catagory of too fast for a street car and too slow for a race car...

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
The battery being behind the front wheels stock is already a huge improvement over the 79-04 stangs where it was hung out on the very front of the car behind the headlights. A lightweight battery in the stock location will be just as effective as a relocated battery in these cars for 99.99% of the people drving them. If you "need" the weight back there then you need more money in your suspension, better tires, more time tuning the suspension or a combination of the 3. The only reason I can see to do a battery relocation is if you need the room for something else i.e. fuel cell for nitrous, intercooler reservoir, or turbo kit that relocates the PCM there.

Kevin is right about the battery. I was originally going to put a light weight drycell in the rear but didn't take into account the extra weight from the heavy gauge wire to run from the front to the back. So I just decided to leave it in the factory location. It's a whole lot more simple that way too.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
My battery is still in the stock location as well... I haven't found a compelling reason to move it. On a well prepped track, traction is no issue for me. And I already have plenty of room under the hood for a nice big intercooler chiller box (to be installed in the very near future).

spyder7724

Reaction score
Maybe that's just old school
yeah it is old school but i wanted a bigger battery so i can have the extra reserve when i need to cool the car down in the lanes quickly. this way i can run a big series battery and not add weight to the nose at least. for everyone thats not running brackets weekly just get an optima and leave it alone. you can adjust the suspension to compensate for the weight.
that stock fan sucks the life out of a battery really quick! that's another thing that can go and save a few lbs. a flexalite replacement fan would be about 10-15 lbs. lighter and draw way less amps.
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/2005mustang.htm

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those get into mods that start excluding you from various classes - headed into the catagory of too fast for a street car and too slow for a race car...

He asked for ways to drop weight. What classes would that exclude any car from and is he building this car for any particular class? haha, how fast is too fast for a street car?

Last edited:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He asked for ways to drop weight. What classes would that exclude any car from and is he building this car for any particular class? haha, how fast is too fast for a street car?
Ultrastang for one says you need squishy steering and no fuel cells...

Did not say anything about brakes that I saw...

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ultrastang is one of many classes out there. Last year, they wouldn't even allow LCA brackets. This year, you have people working the rules and running totally different trannies and a claimed 5.4L block. That class will either get out of control or they'll reel it all back in to keep it what the class was intended for.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back