Shelby 8.8 needs special pinion bearing

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
A search showed no results, so I'm posting this for future reference and new owners:

Note that the 8.8 in our rearends require a special inner pinion bearing and race. You can only get it from FRPP in a complete install kit that's going to cost you around $150. Part #M-4210-B-1.

This shouldn't be a problem if you're installing new gears and it's a low mileage car. But if the shop accidentally destroys your old inner pinion bearing pressing it onto the new pinion gear, the standard 8.8 inner pinion bearing/race will not fit without substantial reworking of the setup procedures.

I found this out the hard way, and my car has been on a lift for two days waiting for the proper part to come in from FRPP.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
A search showed no results, so I'm posting this for future reference and new owners:

Note that the 8.8 in our rearends require a special inner pinion bearing and race. You can only get it from FRPP in a complete install kit that's going to cost you around $150. Part #M-4210-B-1.

This shouldn't be a problem if you're installing new gears and it's a low mileage car. But if the shop accidentally destroys your old inner pinion bearing pressing it onto the new pinion gear, the standard 8.8 inner pinion bearing/race will not fit without substantial reworking of the setup procedures.

I found this out the hard way, and my car has been on a lift for two days waiting for the proper part to come in from FRPP.

Two things, behind the new style bearing race, is a thick shim. Upon initial inspection that shim appears to simply be part of the axle housing casting. However, you can remove that shim, and run a standard style pinion bearing and race. The other thing is, the new style bearing is available by itself from Ford, it's part number 9L3Z-4630-A and it's about $45 and includes the race.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Yes, I know about the shim. But every Shelby shop I've talked to (Revan Racing, VMP, etc.) stated that you should not use a standard bearing/race for the Shelby- only the "high torque" one.

Regarding your part number, it is wrong. That is the standard bearing/race as newly "updated" by Ford in 2010, and I am holding it in my hand as we speak. It is the part that Ford dealers will sell you, but if you compare it to the factory Shelby piece, you will see that it is not the correct one. It is a standard GT bearing. I've since confirmed from several sources that the only way to get the Shelby bearing/race is buying the part number in my original post.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I know, Jarrod. I was in a pinch and needed something ASAP because my car was stuck on lift at a buddy's shop.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Yes, I know about the shim. But every Shelby shop I've talked to (Revan Racing, VMP, etc.) stated that you should not use a standard bearing/race for the Shelby- only the "high torque" one.

Regarding your part number, it is wrong. That is the standard bearing/race as newly "updated" by Ford in 2010, and I am holding it in my hand as we speak. It is the part that Ford dealers will sell you, but if you compare it to the factory Shelby piece, you will see that it is not the correct one. It is a standard GT bearing. I've since confirmed from several sources that the only way to get the Shelby bearing/race is buying the part number in my original post.

You're right about the part number I gave as being the same as the old style bearing. I pulled one and checked it compared with the prior number. It's not the new style bearing. However, you can without a doubt remove the shim and use the old style bearing. The housing itself is exactly the same. There is no reason it wouldn't work. We have done a few of them without a problem.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
10-4. Not trying to be a dick or anything. But when the Shelby guys tell me not to use the standard bearing/race for various reasons, I guess I tend to listen. But there's no doubt your part number will physically fit in the 8.8.

By the way, Cobra, if you can find just the Shelby bearing/race and give us a part number, please post it. I even had two local suppliers tell me that they could not identify the Timken number on the original bearing. Very odd.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
^ both bearings can hold the exact same amount of power. it was the HD bearing for noise reasons. ill dig up the techtimes notice i got back when it came out in the FRPP catalog. the shim is to reduce the high frequency noise given off by the rear. it was an attempt to remedy the gear whine problems with the 05-06 GT cars.

why do you think the bullit has the same one. you pay a premium on a car and they want you to feel like it is a tier above the standard and GT model. its all about the noise, nothing more. the bearing rollers are fatter in the GT bearing anyways. if the truth be told it would be the larger rollers that could take more horizontal push and reduce the bearing cage from deflecting. the shelby shops sell them because they are $150 versus the $45 bucks for the standard. nothing more than a marketing ploy for more money.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
You're right about the part number I gave as being the same as the old style bearing. I pulled one and checked it compared with the prior number. It's not the new style bearing. However, you can without a doubt remove the shim and use the old style bearing. The housing itself is exactly the same. There is no reason it wouldn't work. We have done a few of them without a problem.

10-4. Not trying to be a dick or anything. But when the Shelby guys tell me not to use the standard bearing/race for various reasons, I guess I tend to listen. But there's no doubt your part number will physically fit in the 8.8.

The standard bearing will work fine in your Shelby application. Don't drink the KoolAid some of those folks desire you to. Remember, the new 5.0 uses the same inner pinion bearing as the GT500. I have swapped 2 gear sets in 2 different housings using the standard size inner pinion bearing and have had 0 issues launching at the track with slicks with that part. Don't believe everything you hear and only half of what you see. ;)

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
The shim is to reduce the high frequency noise given off by the rear. it was an attempt to remedy the gear whine problems with the 05-06 GT cars. nothing more than a marketing ploy for more money.

The shim is there because there is a physical size difference between the two bearings/races. Without the shim, the "HD" bearing/race would force the pinion into the front of the case.

As far as marketing ploy, however, you may be right. All I can go on is what the Shelby installers have told me.

The standard bearing will work fine in your Shelby application. Don't drink the KoolAid some of those folks desire you to. Remember, the new 5.0 uses the same inner pinion bearing as the GT500. I have swapped 2 gear sets in 2 different housings using the standard size inner pinion bearing and have had 0 issues launching at the track with slicks with that part. Don't believe everything you hear and only half of what you see. ;)

What's done is done. I paid for the damn kit and installed it. Again, I can only go on what Van at Revan Racing and Justin at VMP told me.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
The shim is there because there is a physical size difference between the two bearings/races. Without the shim, the "HD" bearing/race would force the pinion into the front of the case.

As far as marketing ploy, however, you may be right. All I can go on is what the Shelby installers have told me.

What's done is done. I paid for the damn kit and installed it. Again, I can only go on what Van at Revan Racing and Justin at VMP told me.

Sometimes vendors don't know everything and especially the one's who don't turn any wrenches. ;)

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
You may want to do a little research into who Van and Justin are before making comments like that.

Regardless, this has now become an argument, which is not what this thread was intended to be. So unless there's anything substantive you can add, let's just let it be.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
You may want to do a little research into who Van and Justin are before making comments like that.

Regardless, this has now become an argument, which is not what this thread was intended to be. So unless there's anything substantive you can add, let's just let it be.

I know Van. I haven't met Justin personally. I have recommended his tunes.

Be it as it may, the work is finished. Next time when the community provides recommendations/suggestions, I would recommend following them more closely.

BTW - are you planning to attend the Texas Mile in March? I plan to be there. Van has been there the past 3 times I have attended. Also, I speak from experience. ;)

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

I could've sworn this bearing comes included in the master install kits.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
It comes in the M-4210-B1 kits. The M-4210-B kits have the standard bearing.

I think that kit is only like $80-90 though isnt it?

I remember when I switched gears out in my 5.0 I bought the ring and pinion then I bought that kit.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Next time when the community provides recommendations/suggestions, I would recommend following them more closely.

To what recommendations/suggestions do you refer? As stated in my original post, I swapped gears and rebuilt the rear end prior to posting this.

Truth be told, I will follow the advice of someone like Van or Justin (who, by the way, have nothing to gain as neither sells this part) before unknown members on an internet forum. Make sense?

I'd like to make the Texas Mile. Never been to it and it sounds like fun. You going as a spectator or a competitor?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I think that kit is only like $80-90 though isnt it?

I remember when I switched gears out in my 5.0 I bought the ring and pinion then I bought that kit.

M-4210-B, about $80.
M-4210-B1, about $130.

By the way, Cobra, if you can find just the Shelby bearing/race and give us a part number, please post it. I even had two local suppliers tell me that they could not identify the Timken number on the original bearing. Very odd.

FWIW, the numbers on the bearing are P900 NP159221 492.

I do know the the "P900" is Timken's new "fuel efficient" line of bearings. The "NP159221" should be the specific bearing part number through Timken.

Last edited:

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Appreciate it, Cobra. We read that exact number to two different Timken suppliers and they said it doesn't exist. I can' say why.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
M-4210-B, about $80.
M-4210-B1, about $130.

FWIW, the numbers on the bearing are P900 NP159221 492.

I do know the the "P900" is Timken's new "fuel efficient" line of bearings. The "NP159221" should be the specific bearing part number through Timken.

You're 100% correct, fluids, ring/pinion, and install kit, my total came to about $290.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back