Shelby 8.8 needs special pinion bearing

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
To what recommendations/suggestions do you refer? As stated in my original post, I swapped gears and rebuilt the rear end prior to posting this.

Truth be told, I will follow the advice of someone like Van or Justin (who, by the way, have nothing to gain as neither sells this part) before unknown members on an internet forum. Make sense?

I'd like to make the Texas Mile. Never been to it and it sounds like fun. You going as a spectator or a competitor?

Pit crew for a friend. We usually park by Van. Jon Lund will have his twin turbo 2011 out there with Ken B. so should be a blast. :)

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Shoot over a PM with your name and/or team. If I make it I'll come by to say howdy.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
the reason the shim is included in the rear with the updated bearing was for noise reasons. it was a combined piece to reduce gear noise. im not saying the shim was the only piece but the thinner bearing assembly will transmit less high frequency noise than a bearing of equal or greater surface area. it was almost like a retrofit to reduce gear whine without a major overhaul. in the end they kept it as there was a definitive loss in noise over the standard bearing.

i would also listen to the guys who work on them all day everyday, im not detracting that from anyone. if they want to sell it over a standard i say go for it. maybe they have seen a difference...i dont know. i do know that when i went through my FMC training we did plenty of driveline testing with no ill effects from bearing size or load. our stupid 3 link design was the hamper of the entire s197 chassis and plagued test cars.

anyways, ill see if i can contact an old buddy who is still in the game to grab you a part number to update this. could it be that timken does not make the bearing?

Last edited:

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. I think everyone would benefit if we could identify the individual part number.

And by the way, the bearing/race assembly had "Timken" stamped on it and a part number. Nobody seems to be able to find it. So if you come up with something, let us know. I just looked in the FRPP catalog last night, and it does not list this item separately, only with the B1 kit.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i completely forgot about this thread, i will check today and get back on it.

limpyjoe

Reaction score
I can confirm the newer deluxe ford rear end rebuild kits do contain the "High Torque" bearing and it will work in a standard 8.8 rear the only problem is that due to the lack of the proper bearing race spacer that some or all of the 2007+ SVT mustangs come with, its a real pain to get the gears set up. Without the spacer, you have to shim the inner bearing substantially more to get a perfect contact pattern, avoid gear whine AND set proper preload. I had to overload the bearings to keep from loose pinion decel howl and will have to replace the bearings with the proper set before too long or my rear end will no doubt fail. Old post but after all the headaches I've been through, thought I'd share. lol.

Snake Bit

Reaction score
You're right about the part number I gave as being the same as the old style bearing. I pulled one and checked it compared with the prior number. It's not the new style bearing. However, you can without a doubt remove the shim and use the old style bearing. The housing itself is exactly the same. There is no reason it wouldn't work. We have done a few of them without a problem.
You're right about the part number I gave as being the same as the old style bearing. I pulled one and checked it compared with the prior number. It's not the new style bearing. However, you can without a doubt remove the shim and use the old style bearing. The housing itself is exactly the same. There is no reason it wouldn't work. We have done a few of them without a problem.

Snake Bit

Reaction score
I have installed the GT pinion bearing and race in my Shelby GT500 and have had no issues what so ever.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back