Shifting.

gray1622

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone have problem when your stopped and you go grab 1st and you get 3rd instead? I have two s197 this one has been kinda of a lemon compared to the last. I never had a problem with shifting in the first one. I have torque limiters on both. Could my shifter be bent on this one? I been thinking about grabbing an Hurst Shifter off the classifieds from here see if it fixes the problem. I been driving a stick for 8 yrs so its not drive error. It sucks ass though to try and jump out in traffic and be surprised to find that i am in 3rd instead of 1st.

I did have to change the clutch due to letting my friend drive me home from a rugby match because I hurt my shoulder and took some pain pills. It was like 400 mile trip home. He went to pass a bunch of people and then was caught off guard by a stop light in middle of no where and down shifted managed to get into 1st some and burn there went the clutch and I had to limp the car 200 more miles home.

What could be causing this problem?

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have problem when your stopped and you go grab 1st and you get 3rd instead? I have two s197 this one has been kinda of a lemon compared to the last. I never had a problem with shifting in the first one. I have torque limiters on both. Could my shifter be bent on this one? I been thinking about grabbing an Hurst Shifter off the classifieds from here see if it fixes the problem. I been driving a stick for 8 yrs so its not drive error. It sucks ass though to try and jump out in traffic and be surprised to find that i am in 3rd instead of 1st.

I did have to change the clutch due to letting my friend drive me home from a rugby match because I hurt my shoulder and took some pain pills. It was like 400 mile trip home. He went to pass a bunch of people and then was caught off guard by a stop light in middle of no where and down shifted managed to get into 1st some and burn there went the clutch and I had to limp the car 200 more miles home.

What could be causing this problem?
If you want one of the best shifters on the market go with the MGW.
You can adjust the Shift Throw and the Height of the Shift Lever.

It works but is not cheap.

tigerhonaker

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has been doing this lately as well. Never had any truoble until the last few weeks it does it.

gray1622

forum member
Reaction score
Its weird. I mean the other one I power shift the hell out of it and it never had this problem.

gray1622

forum member
Reaction score
MGW is a nice piece but its a lot cash for a shifter. I am just wondering if my shifter could of gotten bent, bushing wore out or something similar. You guys think that could caused it. Maybe when my clutch was installed.

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
Hell, I use the stock shifter, always have but I shift with my forearm anyways, I put my hand at the bottom of the shifter shaft and pull back with my forearm and forward with my elbow, pretty simple shit, I'll spend my shifter money on something usefull.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back