Sloppy Steering After Longtubes, Bad Steering Shaft?

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
So I just installed long tube headers and now I have quite a bit of play in my steering wheel that wasn't there before. It is VERY annoying driving down the road! Of course I had to remove my steering shaft. Any ideas? Bad steering shaft? Did I eff something up in the firewall? Car was up on jack stands with the suspension hanging for a few days. Didn't remove the rack, all bolts are tight.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
If it only happened after you reinstalled it, my guess will be something didn't go back together right. Is the bolt at the plastic sleeve tight? Mine seemed sloppy and was loose there. Tightened it and it was fine.

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
Double check the bolts holding the shaft to the rack and firewall. I thought mine were tight enough but then I could move the wheel a 1/2" each way with no response. Tightened the hell out of them and now they're good.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Did you put the steering shaft clamp bolt in backwards? that is very easy to do and it will tighten up like it's in fine but not clamp down.

Mustang Mark

forum member
Reaction score
Weird my steering has been really stiff since I installed my long tubes.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
I think fdjizm explained it better than I did. It's the clamp bolt where the shaft slides into the teflon sleeve at the end of the universal joint. I can't photoshop an arrow into this picture, but it's the bolt facing towards you right in the middle of the picture.

guide-23108-51050-56102-24086-56016-20034-cust-06.jpg

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
The top bolt in the photo right, not the one that secures the shaft to the rack correct?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
Figured out why my steering was sloppy!!! I installed the top bolt next to the firewall backwards. Then like a dumbass I overtightened it and stripped the threads out! :donkey: easy fix though for a clever mechanic. Smaller grade 8 bolt and nut.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
I seem to have the same issue.
I checked that bolt and it was pretty darn tight.

I'm guessing my problem is in the sleeve part... See the video for a better description.
Does that look normal?? Its giving me about 1/2 inch of play in the streering wheel,

TIA,
link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae749-HFlWo&list=UUPA-YSQtK-jqvDlDn3lCYTw

You need to turn that bolt the other way. Put it in from the other side. The clamp only has threads on the one side so it needs to go through the side with no threads and then into the side with threads. That way when you tighten it down it actually pulls the clamp together.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Are you positive the slop is between the inner and outer shaft sections? Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you place your hand on the transition to verify that is where the slop is.

deebo05

forum member
Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid, but did you check the plastic sleeve on the shaft inside the car and make sure it is seated? that will def. cause slop in the wheel. usually you have to push the column shaft back to get the steering shaft out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back