So I found out why my trans is puking...

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Vids are always a plus. I very much enjoyed the 30 secs. With the punching bag you made:)

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
I just want to fix reverse LOL I think I need a fuckin puller now.
I took the snap ring off thinking that shit was going to just come off.
WRONG.

You'll be alright. Better a manual than an auto. So many fuckin parts in an auto

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yea I'm good and I've got plenty of time to mess around with it.
So I got it all apart! used two pry bars to get 5th gear off the shaft...
And I think I found the reason reverse grinds when trying to go to it directly, or an issue anyway...
Pictured below is the 5th gear assembly, notice the 4 little puck things each have a spring behind them in pic 2...

the assembly at the end of the shaft with all the gears, has all 3 little pucks but only one of them had a spring! I found a mangled spring on the donut magnet in the trans.. and the other spring is nowhere to be found, so they were just sitting there just loose, could that be it? now to find where I can get these little springs from.
2qtwh7t.jpg

11hgle1.jpg

33aciys.jpg

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
So I had to buy some big ass bearing puller/separator thing and I made my own puller doohickey out of some threaded rod and got the reverse gear off.
And this is why my reverse was grinding, material GONE off the syncro!
34f1yrs.jpg

I am ordering a new ring tomorrow then I am going to zip everything back up, the snap/lock rings in this tranny ARE THE DEVIL, I broke a pair of snap ring pliers fucking with them they are so strong. I may just replace them because I kind of beat on them a bit.

dpzs09.jpg

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Dear lord at all the parts everywhere. Watcha gonna do with all the spare parts that dont go back in:)

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Lol they actually all go into ziplock bags and took tons of pics how everything comes apart.
Very confident I can get it back together just fine. Little head scratch on if I should rebuild it completely which would be close to $ 600 for just a spare trans. I think I will just fix reverse and call it good, didn't have any issues shifting all the other gears anyway.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey cheap ass, you have it all apart. Fucking do it right and build this bitch.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
If you cant figure out how to put it back together, we can use some of the parts for a game of horseshoes

bullitt boy

Reaction score
they are going for 800 on flea bay. if you can keep the cost under that you have a winner. Plus the ones on flea bay are unknowns could be good , could be great , could be crap.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Hey cheap ass, you have it all apart. Fucking do it right and build this bitch.
I don't wanna :yuck:

they are going for 800 on flea bay. if you can keep the cost under that you have a winner. Plus the ones on flea bay are unknowns could be good , could be great , could be crap.

I just want to fix reverse everything was shifting fine lol I will dub it "the loaner".

I came within a whisker of buying one of his built trannies. Everything I found, he has a good rep.

He is really good I was on the phone for 30 min talking about trans stuff.
He literally knows every crevice of the trannies, I hardly could describe what I mean "it's this ball and this little blah blah blah" he's like oh yea what you gotta do with that... dude is a vault of info and he loves to help.
I've been sending him pics of what I am doing and close up's and stuff.
He's my little tranny guardian angel now :)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Frankie, I'm confused. Are you putting a new transmission in and rebuilding your previous one as both a learning experience and to have a spare?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Frankie, I'm confused. Are you putting a new transmission in and rebuilding your previous one as both a learning experience and to have a spare?

I am working on the tranny I had taken out of the car with the cracked tailshaft housing. (new housing on it's way to my house at the moment)
The tranny also couldn't go directly into reverse so I just want to fix that along with my little learning experience.
Besides the cracked housing and reverse issue it shifted fine on the street and at the track so I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it.

But yes I am messing with this (now spare) trans to learn and have a good spare sitting around just like I had ricks good spare sitting around.

A perfectly working tr3650 is in the car now, this is just my little project.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am working on the tranny I had taken out of the car with the cracked tailshaft housing. (new housing on it's way to my house at the moment)
The tranny also couldn't go directly into reverse so I just want to fix that along with my little learning experience.
Besides the cracked housing and reverse issue it shifted fine on the street and at the track so I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it.

But yes I am messing with this (now spare) trans to learn and have a good spare sitting around just like I had ricks good spare sitting around.

A perfectly working tr3650 is in the car now, this is just my little project.

Now that is cool. You get to learn how the voodoo black box of a transmission works and you have a spare. :thumb:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back