So i got a Steeda Oil Separator

G.T

Reaction score
and now i'm wondering whether i should install it on the Driver side or Passenger side PCV..
do they both spew out as much oil into the intake manifold and throttle body?

should i just buy another one and put one on each side?

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Must go on drivers side. Passenger side is in negative pressure.
That's what I tought and what everybody says. The PH turbo has a hose going from the passenger side to a T fitting connected to the driver side. So when I installed my oil separator in the driver's side and because what everyone says, I thought it wouldn't be necessary to have that hose from the passenger side I went ahead and eliminated it and just placed a small filter in the passenger side.

Today I noticed the small filter was balck (originaly it was red) and there was oil in the cam cover. I removed the filter and there was a lot of oil impregnated to it. My oil separator had maybe 1oz in it if that much aftermaybe 600 miles since installation.

Now I don't know if what everybody says is correct. I installed the hose back from the passenger side to a t fitting into the oil separator, so now I have both going to it.

G.T

Reaction score
i was intending to do it on the driver side only, then i noticed a few stangers who had also put one on the passenger side PCV and it seems to be collecting oil!

also worth asking, if it isn't from the passenger side PCV.. where's the Throttle Body getting all the gunk from?

i basically wanna put on these separators to keep my intercooler happy, and hopefully avoid fouling up the TB with build ups on and behind the butterflies (which happens almost every couple months)

the first intention was to put on a breather.. looks kinda cool, and much simpler than the separator.. then was told off as that'd let unmetered air in.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if i were you id return the steeda one (way overpriced anyway) the same one can be found at local hardware stores for as little as 10 bucks. but the problem with them is they fill too fast. the seperator doesnt even need to have 1/4 of the way oil in it and the egine produces enough vacuum to pull the oil back through making the seperator useless.

stlwagon

forum member
Reaction score
Better off getting a Stefs oil can so you don't need to empty every other day.

A&B 06GT

forum member
Reaction score
With the procharger kit it caps off the drivers side and leads it to the intake tube. So i have my oil catch tank between those two

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oil Seperator

Call Sean Hyland @ 1-519-421-2291 tell him Randy sent ya, he has a custom built design one.It is self draining,baffled & sealed unit with no filter.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
with no filter how do you expect to separate the air from the oil mist?

G.T

Reaction score
so i'm back to square one not knowing which way to go :)
being all the way in Dubai means no returns, as it's not worth shipping back across the globe.

can the Procharger setup work on any car?
Oh and Randy: any idea how much the SHM setup costs?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i cant vouch for the SHM one but the stefs can cost me 90 bucks

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oil Seperator

GT i will find the cost for ya,i think it was around 100.00.This seperator was designed out of a need at SHM & has been used on alot of race cars.It looks simple,made of alumimum,fits in the palm of your hand & is about 3"x4" in size.He told me along time ago that one is not needed on the driver side of our cars.I listen to him for all advice,i am lucky,he is only 90 mins from me & he tracks my progress,as most of his customers are from the USA,he is eager to get feedback from me.Not many guys here have hopped up these 05-07s in Ontario & if they have they don't drag race them @ the track,they showem & talk numbers.

G.T

Reaction score
i think i'm just gonna install this anyway since i already have it here, then look for better options later on.

so what's the verdict.. driver or passenger side?

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oil Seperator

Mine is on the passenger side with a Kenne Bell Blower.Should it matter what blower you have as to where the location of the oil seperator goes???

G.T

Reaction score
not really.. what really maters is which side PCV spits out more oil than the other to make it worthwhile to install the separator on :)

Back