Spark Plug Removal

2011BOSS

Reaction score
Hey all, this is a dumb question but I can't find much anywhere I look. I want to put in some NGK performance plugs and was wondering how to go about it. AM has a install guide for them and I will probably go by that. Has anyone here removed their plugs?

J

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not a dumb question...but one that you can find the answer too by searching.... and one you seem to have the answer to if AM has a guide

1)
search_it_noob.gif

2) read:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/announcement.php?f=19

3) review:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30272

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
One thing to make ABSOLUTELY sure you do when doing the plugs is disconnect the battery. This is a non negotiable step.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chuck is that a Coyote specific mandate?

2011BOSS

Reaction score
thx

not a dumb question...but one that you can find the answer too by searching.... and one you seem to have the answer to if AM has a guide

The guide is for a 2010 GT.

J

Last edited by a moderator:

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Chuck is that a Coyote specific mandate?

It's a GT 5.0 mandate. There is a risk that you'll touch the battery (+) terminal with the wrench while you're removing the #4 plug. Some people have lost their ECU from the resulting electrical storm and others had a hole burned in the aluminum tube that surrounds the plug, causing an oil leak that can't (apparently) be fixed without replacing the head.

So, you don't have to disconnect the battery, but you'll feel awful if you blow something up.

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Actually it is a 2010+ specific mandate, whether it be V6, GT 5.0, or GT500 with the battery reversed from previous years and the positive near the number 4 hole. If you happen to touch the extension to the positive post and haven't disconnected the negative terminal, you will short the battery through the engine block, which, though an excellent conductor and having several excellent grounds, also has various sensors which ground back through the PCM (o2's being one example). Running a high amperage current back through these paths unintentionally will usually result in many headaches and adversely affect the modification budget.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
I sit (would be standing, but couldn't type) corrected. It's a bad thing to leave it hooked up, and it gives you an excellent chance to do the relearn cycle for the idle program in the ECU. It's a win-win, really.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck - on my 5.4 I never have.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back