strange squeak

gimpy

forum member
Reaction score
So my car seems to have developed a strange squeak that for the life of me I cant figure out. When the car is in gear and you load or unload the drivetrain (tap the gas) there is a distinct squeak from the trans tunnel area. I have ruled out the exhaust (replaced all the clamps and made sure everything was tight), ruled out the suspension (it only happens in gear and not over bumps), and ruled out any loose bolts on/around the trans. Anyone have any ideas where this thing is coming from?

gimpy

forum member
Reaction score
Long shot, but there is a TSB for loose flywheel bolts...

I have a mcleod RXT w/steel flywheel and arp bolts so the tsb doesn't apply for my car anymore.

get it on video and post it for us

I will try to get a video but its going to be hard to capture the noise since my exhaust/engine is so damn loud. It sounds like I have an NBA game going on under my car!

filtercharger

forum member
Reaction score
"It sounds like I have an NBA game going on under my car!"... lol! that was hilarious but a good description brotha!
It sounds to me that perharps your driveshaft is hitting something? I bet you have an aftermarket aluminum one right?
Check it for scoring or marks, and that's where you can start looking at for the NBA sneaker sound!

gimpy

forum member
Reaction score
"It sounds like I have an NBA game going on under my car!"... lol! that was hilarious but a good description brotha!
It sounds to me that perharps your driveshaft is hitting something? I bet you have an aftermarket aluminum one right?
Check it for scoring or marks, and that's where you can start looking at for the NBA sneaker sound!

I still have the stock shaft in there so I dont think thats whats causing it. Here is a video taken with the camera in the cup holder.

2011 Mustang Squeak

gimpy

forum member
Reaction score
finally found the culprit! That would be the sound of a loose driveshaft bolt...

gimpy

forum member
Reaction score
That's great! What kind of thread locker did you use this time around and did you re-torque the rest of the bolts?

I used blue this time around and re-torqued every single bolt that was removed during the motor swap... it was a long night.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back