Strong Gas Smell inside car.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A week ago I started to notice a strong Gas oder in the car while driving. I do not notice until I start moving. I have looked all over for a fuel leak and nothing. Has anyone had this issue or am I nuts...

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no chili for lunch tomorrow? may help...

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
seriously...weird and dangerous. get to a dealer.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
happened to me cuz i didnt close my hat all the way but you didnt change your pumps or anything did you?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. I bottomed out the car and now I have an exhaust leak where the H clamps to the cats on the drivers side. It smells exactly like gas fumes, but it is exhaust. I haven't fixed it yet since the LT's are going on in a few weeks...

You just did some headers. You may need to go back and tighten something up.

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It happened to me about a year ago. The smell was there when I filled up and lasted for a while, then it was gone when the tank was about 1/4 full. I filled up again and the smell was back. It turns out there was a very small leak at the seam in the gas tank. The leak was so small that it wasn't leaving a stain in the garage floor. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the gas tank.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A week ago I started to notice a strong Gas oder in the car while driving. I do not notice until I start moving. I have looked all over for a fuel leak and nothing. Has anyone had this issue or am I nuts...

You're not nuts. My car is doing this too, except I notice it when I am stopped at a red light. It appears to be coming from the gas tank emission controls on the drivers side that are just in front of the power brake booster.

Several others have noticed this as well.......get ready for an emissions related recall!

See if you smell it around those hoses in front of the brake booster.

Hope this helps.

Mike

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're not nuts. My car is doing this too, except I notice it when I am stopped at a red light. It appears to be coming from the gas tank emission controls on the drivers side that are just in front of the power brake booster.

Several others have noticed this as well.......get ready for an emissions related recall!

See if you smell it around those hoses in front of the brake booster.

Hope this helps.

Mike
It seems to be coming from the front drivers side, underneath the car is more noticable as soon as I open the hood so this could be it.
I don't think it's exhaust at Marc stated it's smells just like I have a open gas can inside the car.

I do not have a Warrenty on the car, 1) because I modded the hell out of it and 2) I have 48,956 miles. so the dealer would be of no help

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It seems to be coming from the front drivers side, underneath the car is more noticable as soon as I open the hood so this could be it.
I don't think it's exhaust at Marc stated it's smells just like I have a open gas can inside the car.

I do not have a Warrenty on the car, 1) because I modded the hell out of it and 2) I have 48,956 miles. so the dealer would be of no help

If they do an emissions recall it won't matter. They'll have to fix it for free, regardless of the mods (I am in the same situation). Emissions warranty is good for at least 8 years/80k miles.

I think something is wrong with the vapor purge system. It is supposed to suck this vapor into the intake and burn it. It appears it is venting it to atmosphere and the EPA will rip Ford a new one for that! I notice it more after I fill up as well.

It might be the ethanol they've put in the gas causing this critter to malfunction. Mine did not do it after I bought it, nor did it do it after the SC install. It just started doing it a few months back. I suspect a faulty part.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this gas smell?

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back