Suspension Mods - 06 Mustang GT

06GT-Red

Reaction score
I am confident that there are many threads, especially older threads, addressing this general topic. I started this new thread in hopes of providing fresh impressions from the perspective of a 66 y/o S197 owner.

My GT with 116,000 miles had all of its original suspension parts. It still drove OK, but there were suspension noises and I thought it could drive better. I did a bunch of research and decided to lower it around an inch, which I figured would not upset the suspension geometry too much and would not be so low as to cause issues for an older couple in getting in and out of the vehicle.

The mods I settled upon included Ford Performance P springs, GT500 strut mounts, and an adjustable Panhard bar. I shopped these parts a lot and ended up buying some from CJ PonyParts and others through Amazon and ebay - it pays to shop around.

I thought about hiring out the install, but ended up doing it myself using a floor jack, jack stands, and hand tools I already owned. I did not have an impact wrench and managed to do without one. I did rent a spring compressor, though, and got a full refund when I returned it. I started on the rear end midweek and worked on it off and on as I could through this morning. A local alignment shop worked me in around midday and the job is done - very little alignment correction was needed.

First driving impressions suggest that the expense and effort was certainly worth it. Suspension noises are gone. The car feels more solid and roadworthy. It is simply more fun to drive.

nfrizell

Reaction score
Do you remember how much you spent in total? Mine has 87000 on it and have been contemplating the same project. Did you do any bushings?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

06GT-Red

Reaction score
For the Ford Performance GT500 strut mounts, P lowering springs, and adjustable Panhard bar, I spent $450.08. The only bushings I did were the new ones that came with the Panhard bar.

06GT-Red

Reaction score
You are still running the stock struts and shocks in the back?
Yes. The stock dampeners had been working just fine. I inspected them and there were no visible issues - even the boots on the struts were still in good shape! I decided to see how they would do with merely an inch of lowering. So far, so good. I applied a similar thought process to decision making concerning caster/camber plates or bolts. I didn’t think I would need them and apparently did not. The alignment scarcely needed any adjustment at all, just a little toe adjustment on the left side. Interestingly, I do not yet have 1” of drop in the front; right now I am at 3/4”. I have 1 1/4” of drop in the rear. I understand that I may get a little more drop as the springs settle in, but I like the look of the car now with a little less slant from the rear down to the front compared to stock height.

406guy

Reaction score
Yes. The stock dampeners had been working just fine. I inspected them and there were no visible issues - even the boots on the struts were still in good shape! I decided to see how they would do with merely an inch of lowering. So far, so good. I applied a similar thought process to decision making concerning caster/camber plates or bolts. I didn’t think I would need them and apparently did not. The alignment scarcely needed any adjustment at all, just a little toe adjustment on the left side. Interestingly, I do not yet have 1” of drop in the front; right now I am at 3/4”. I have 1 1/4” of drop in the rear. I understand that I may get a little more drop as the springs settle in, but I like the look of the car now with a little less slant from the rear down to the front compared to stock height.
Glad to hear they have held up well after 116k. I still have my stockers and I have no intentions of putting aftermarket on. I like a smooth ride.

06GT-Red

Reaction score
Glad to hear they have held up well after 116k. I still have my stockers and I have no intentions of putting aftermarket on. I like a smooth ride.
I like a smooth ride too, which is what I seem to have obtained with these mods. I drove my car about 100 miles this morning, in preparation for a longer trip commencing in a couple days. Quite frankly, I am pleased as can be with my recent suspension mods, especially in conjunction with my previous modest mods. The ride is firm but not harsh, with minimal suspension noise and no significant vibration. The drop I obtained seems to have settled on 3/4” in front and 1 1/4” in back, which on my car means remaining gaps between tops of tires and fenders of 1 1/4” in front and 1 3/4” in back. The slight 1/2” forward rake looks just right to me.

The overall driving experience is pretty exhilarating for an old non-racer. When I stick my foot in it to pass a truck, I am going 100 mph in an instant if I am not careful. And the exhaust really opens up under such acceleration, which provides its own rewards, of course! You know, I obtained mileage of 25 mpg on my little romp - per the car’s computer.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ran the P springs for awhile but personally did not like them- just rode too stiff. Went with the BMR linear rate springs and like the ride on them much better.

Also I do still like the highway mileage on this car, even with all the mods I have it will still do 24-25 mpg on long highway runs.

GriffX

Reaction score
I own a 07GT and the best suspension mod I did was to install the front/rear sway bars from the 14th. The front bar bracket hast to be grinded a little bit, but no big deal.
2nd best was the J&M Extreme LCAs, but noisy.
Tokico shocks, not so good.
And, not suspension, the MGW shifter.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back