Suspension Pkg (Best Bang 4 Buck) 2011+

tack514

New Idiot
Reaction score
I have spoken 2 a few of u guys recently at a meet. I would like to get some other opinions as well. Here is what I am after...but I am open to suggestions.

1. 2013 base GT suspension + Whipple = greasy/slushy feel off the line...almost scary. And I do not say that easily.

I am looking for a best bang 4 the buck pkg.

So far I have been recommended..

1. Springs
2. Lower controllers
3. Panhard
4. Upper Control????
5. Anything else??

I am trying to stay in the $700-800 range not to exceed $1K.

is this even reasonable?

I truly appreciate and respect the feedback from the contributing peeps on this forum.

Lastly..excude my lack of knowledge on this subject. There are just sooo many options. My basic issue is that I have 540 rwhp and cannot connect enough of it to the ground (275's on 10" rims all around) to whoop a ricer/import off the line. I also understand it could be driver as well. I am working on that excuse if you guys can help with the hardware recommendations.....deal?

06underme

forum member
Reaction score
I would buy some 305 for the back and sell your rear 275 to recoupe some money for starters.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
With the PD blower ur always gonna have issues on the street with traction. I have lca's with relocation brackets, UCA, pan hard bar, and some springs but I also have 315 drag radials. I know u get much worse tread life but drag radials IMO are almost a must if ur looking for traction.

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I would highly recommend struts and shocks since you're going to get a higher rated lowering spring. The stock shocks and struts (I feel) don't handle very well with lowering and higher rates. What kind of springs have you been looking to get? A set of springs with a moderate drop (i.e. Steeda sports, Hotchkis, Pro-kit) may not require you to purchase an adjustable PHB if so, Freedom Racing's on car Adj. PHB is a good choice.
Also tires are going to be an issue as well, traction on the street is usually poor with a PD blower. I'll shoot you a PM and hopefully work up a pretty nice package for ya.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
I have spoken 2 a few of u guys recently at a meet. I would like to get some other opinions as well. Here is what I am after...but I am open to suggestions.

1. 2013 base GT suspension + Whipple = greasy/slushy feel off the line...almost scary. And I do not say that easily.

I am looking for a best bang 4 the buck pkg.

So far I have been recommended..

1. Springs
2. Lower controllers
3. Panhard
4. Upper Control????
5. Anything else??

I am trying to stay in the $700-800 range not to exceed $1K.

is this even reasonable?

I truly appreciate and respect the feedback from the contributing peeps on this forum.

Lastly..excude my lack of knowledge on this subject. There are just sooo many options. My basic issue is that I have 540 rwhp and cannot connect enough of it to the ground (275's on 10" rims all around) to whoop a ricer/import off the line. I also understand it could be driver as well. I am working on that excuse if you guys can help with the hardware recommendations.....deal?

what i found is alot of people suggesting steeda springs, koni yello shocks/struts, and since your going boost..invest in really good tires that will be your biggest factor i think.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
what i found is alot of people suggesting steeda springs, koni yello shocks/struts, and since your going boost..invest in really good tires that will be your biggest factor i think.

Are Koni yellows actually going to help traction with a PD blower? They do not allow for the proper weight transfer to the rear axle.

This is just what I have read on here, by no means am I posting this as fact, please someone tell me if I'm wrong

06underme

forum member
Reaction score
Koni yellows and steeda ultra lights are perfect, rear lower control arms with relocation brackets and tires are what I would go for, probably around $1,500.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
Koni yellows and steeda ultra lights are perfect, rear lower control arms with relocation brackets and tires are what I would go for, probably around $1,500.

So the Koni yellows do not hinder weight transfer enough to not use them? Is this correct? Not being argumentative, just trying to learn

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I switched to tokico d.specs from koni yellows because of weight transfer issues. Koni the rebound.and.compression adjust together.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I switched to tokico d.specs from koni yellows because of weight transfer issues. Koni the rebound.and.compression adjust together.

The d specs have rebound and compression separately adjustable? Is it because you're predominately a drag racer? Or did you also do this because of the way the allow for weight transfer on the street?

Sorry to jack your thread tack, but I think this is going in the direction you want it to... Or I hope at least lol

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
The d specs have rebound and compression separately adjustable? Is it because you're predominately a drag racer? Or did you also do this because of the way the allow for weight transfer on the street?

Sorry to jack your thread tack, but I think this is going in the direction you want it to... Or I hope at least lol

No. The D specs adjust rebound and compression, whereas the Konis run a fixed compression but an adjustable rebound. My car would basically lay flat on launches then wheel hop some.

I feel the konis were great handling shocks/struts though. With the D specs, I noticed my 60's go down and no noticeable difference in handling.

The Boss 302 runs the Tokico D spec from the factory.

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Stange adjustable shocks and struts, an adjustable panhard bar, Steeda springs and lower control arms would put you right around 1,100. Depending on the lower control arms you prefer. But all that horsepower on the street is going to be hard to put down without proper tires. Not sure tires alone will hold that much power without some help either.

Another option cold be rear adjustable shocks, lower control arms and wide sticky rear tires.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Strange is another good option. They don't have the handling characteristics as a tokico or a koni sport though. So essentially if you're looking for more drag oriented and only drag oriented, strange, qa1 etc.

If you're looking for a good handling setup that does well on the strip, tokico d spec. If you're looking for road course only, koni. This isn't to say the koni doesnt do well on the strip, but there are better options.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
Strange is another good option. They don't have the handling characteristics as a tokico or a koni sport though. So essentially if you're looking for more drag oriented and only drag oriented, strange, qa1 etc.

If you're looking for a good handling setup that does well on the strip, tokico d spec. If you're looking for road course only, koni. This isn't to say the koni doesnt do well on the strip, but there are better options.

Ya after using search i found a few good threads qa1 and d specs are popular for the strip

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Koni's are great but I'll have to agree and say they're not the best drag combo. The Boss 302S comes with the D-specs, the basic 302 comes with Tokico's but not the D-spec. Anyways, if you're trying to stay within your budget you'll be hard pressed to meet it picking up a set of these struts and shocks.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
You can find a set of d specs for about $600. They are the best overall for mixed driving imo

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I went with D Specs , BMR springs , BMR lower control arms ... Seemed to be the best overall set up for street/strip

bullitt2086

forum member
Reaction score
I'd skip the d specs and go coilovers I did, and am happy as a pig in shit with them... I would never go back to traditional shocks and springs after experiencing coilovers!

Back