Swapped BMR UCAs, something seems wrong

mikek2111987

Reaction score
2007 GT, while my car was on jack stands over winter I pulled the axle to have it rebuilt and painted, during the process I upgraded to BMR new style upper control arm and mount. Axle is back up in the car, and something seems wrong. It seems like it's tilted backwards, I don't have my pinion angle gauge yet as Amazon is moving slow due to world issues, but I don't think I need one to see that something is wrong. I followed the instructions and matched it with the factory length, you'll see below that I shortened it even more.
The Steeda solid lowers are back in the same spot they were previously, only thing changed is the upper.

PICS
http://imgur.com/a/DXJGMDQ

Last edited:

Double0fox

Reaction score
Found a pic. 2011-2014 on the left, and 05-10 on the right.
Mz8ynik.jpg

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Yes, it's the newer style, lengthened to match my old style stock one.
Not following this. The newer style would have to be shortened to match the older one.

The newer UCA with the older UCA bracket will push the top of your axle backward. I doubt that there's enough adjustment in it to avoid that happening, else BMR wouldn't have a separate UCA part number for the early cars.

Norm

Double0fox

Reaction score
It is for sure a 2011+ mount? I can tell in the pics. Does the mount have 2, or 3 optional hole locations for the through bolt?

mikek2111987

Reaction score
Not following this. The newer style would have to be shortened to match the older one.

The newer UCA with the older UCA bracket will push the top of your axle backward. I doubt that there's enough adjustment in it to avoid that happening, else BMR wouldn't have a separate UCA part number for the early cars.

Norm
Ah, I misspoke then. Whichever way it goes, I put them on the bench next to each other and matched it.

It is for sure a 2011+ mount? I can tell in the pics. Does the mount have 2, or 3 optional hole locations for the through bolt?
Yeah, it's 11+ mount with 2 holes

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
BMR's page shows both brackets to have 3 possible settings. The real telltale is where the UCA bolt holes are in relation to the front end of the bracket.

Look at the area between where the UCA connects and where the single threaded hole for the bracket to chassis bolt that goes down from inside the car goes.

2005-2010

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=160&superpro=0

2011-2014
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=964&superpro=0

Sorry about only links showing up. XenForo is not a very user-friendly software for what I was trying to make it do.

Norm

Last edited:

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 2011 uca is one inch longer than the stock original uca. So if you made it the same length, the front of the rear able of pointing way too far down.

mikek2111987

Reaction score
BMR's page shows both brackets to have 3 possible settings. The real telltale is where the UCA bolt holes are in relation to the front end of the bracket.

Look at the area between where the UCA connects and where the single threaded hole for the bracket to chassis bolt that goes down from inside the car goes.

2005-2010

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=160&superpro=0

2011-2014
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=964&superpro=0

Sorry about only links showing up. XenForo is not a very user-friendly software for what I was trying to make it do.

Norm
My upper mount definitely only has 2 holes. Maybe I got an older model or something?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Both of the CAB's carry the note "2005 - 2010 Mustang" and the DRP's both carry the note "2007 - 2010 Shelby GT500".

A call or at least an email to BMR is probably in order at this point.

Norm

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try using the stock mount. It looks like you have the newer s197 mount and older s197 uca.

mikek2111987

Reaction score
Try using the stock mount. It looks like you have the newer s197 mount and older s197 uca.
A splendid idea I also had, but the big bolt under the seat cross threaded on the way out

Emailed BMR, hopefully I hear back soon.

Double0fox

Reaction score
Early (short) UCA combined with late (LCA holes more forward) bracket . . . wouldn't that pull the top of the diff housing forward instead of rolling it backward???

Norm

I think he has a old stlye (hence the two holes instead of three) mount that has the arm mounting further rearward. With a 2011+ arm that are longer than the 05-10 would tilt the top of the axel rearward.

How do you cross thread a bolt on the way out??????

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back