The difference between cat deletes and o/r h pipe?

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
Im curious as to the difference between the 2. I was thinking about getting the cat deletes cause I thought it would be easier to swap out when I get the car inspected. Is the factory h pipe a lot more restrictive?

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
Im curious as to the difference between the 2. I was thinking about getting the cat deletes cause I thought it would be easier to swap out when I get the car inspected. Is the factory h pipe a lot more restrictive?

I don't think it is a noticeable difference if at all... Not the H-pipe design difference between a replacement mid pipe and cat deletes.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
5.0 or 4.6?
On a Coyote, there is some gains to be made with mid-pipe, but a lot comes from removing the cats.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
On the 4.6 it would seem to be more of a sound difference rather than performance. Today I installed the FlowMaster cats that replace from the factory headers to and including the H-pipe. Sound is noticeably deeper and louder.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I think the biggest difference is that you will have to cut the pipes if you do the cat deletes (like I did). If you plan on putting the cats back on at some point then your best bet is to buy the off road H and keep your stock H intact and uncut. That way you can swap them out as needed.

If you never need to see your cats again and you're a cheap bastard like me then cut the cats out of your stock H pipe and use cat deletes. Then take your cats to the scrap yard and get some money for them.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The oem H pipe on the 3V is 2.5"..... but also contains a disc dead center inside the H. The disc has a 3/8" hole in it, dead center..on the bullitt cars ( to get the bullitt sound). The GT's got a slightly bigger hole in the same disc. Any aftermarket catted or uncatted H will have no disc inside the H. Then you get the full 2.5" H section. Then it scavenges properly between both sides.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
The oem H pipe on the 3V is 2.5"..... but also contains a disc dead center inside the H. The disc has a 3/8" hole in it, dead center..on the bullitt cars ( to get the bullitt sound). The GT's got a slightly bigger hole in the same disc. Any aftermarket catted or uncatted H will have no disc inside the H. Then you get the full 2.5" H section. Then it scavenges properly between both sides.

Interesting, learned something new!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
So basically what you're saying is that in either OE form, GT or Bullitt, you've got an "H" that doesn't really function a whole lot different from straight duals in terms of flow/flow sharing.

Norm

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
The regular GT has no disc with hole it's completely opened.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

That may be year dependent. I have seen GT's with aprx 1.25" hole in the disc..and some with a 1.5" hole. I ordered a pair of identical jba ceramic coated LT's (with catted H) for myself and a local buddy. His is a 2008 manual, mine is a 2010 auto. His had a hole. Dunno what mine had in it, since I had the LT's installed..and told em to toss the oem stuff into the dumpster. But a 3/8" hole is fubar.

86Gt suggested eliminating the H altogether. The consensus was the 3v has an uneven firing order, and that if the H was totally eliminated, the TQ would drop through the floor. Some have bored the hole to a much bigger diameter. Now we hear some came with no disc / hole at all. I did notice after the LT / high flow catted H install, that the TQ went way up. That was the one mod that actually did something. Prior to that, it had a 94 tune. Then a very slight tweak to the 94 tune after the LT install.

I had previously installed a pair of FRPP FRS-500 SS mufflers..and they sounded good. After the LT install, it was way too loud..and had bad drone right at 1900 rpm. So in went the pair of SS M80 resonators, welded into place...aft of the JBA H section... and just b4 the rear axle. Level went down a bunch, drone almost gone, and the sound went to a lot lower pitch. I didn't stagger the M80's. But this is just an aside.. and OT.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
That's interesting. As far as I knew regular GTs had no restricter plates in the H. Mine is an 07 and I actually swapped mine to a Bullitt H-Pipe to get the distinct sound they produce.

Maybe you're right, maybe Ford learned something after developing the Bullitt H-pipe and started to put a disc in all GTs starting from 08+.

As far as 3v loosing torque that's certainly not the case as I felt no notable difference going from X-pipe to the Bullitt H-pipe.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

So much for the scavenging effect..at least with an H. The H is supposed to provide more TQ..while the X usually provides more top end HP. I wanted cats... so opted for the catted H. The X sounded just a bit too raspy for my liking.

Last edited:

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 13 GT. I didnt know the cat deletes needed to be welded. I'm gonna need to throw the cats on once a year for emissions so maybe I should go o/r pipe.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I have a 13 GT. I didnt know the cat deletes needed to be welded. I'm gonna need to throw the cats on once a year for emissions so maybe I should go o/r pipe.

Cat deletes do not need to be welded.

Jegs and BBK cat deletes are only about $100 and bolt right in.

That's why I asked what engine. That information needs to be known otherwise you'll get wrong information for your application.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Cat deletes do not need to be welded.

Jegs and BBK cat deletes are only about $100 and bolt right in.

They may bolt right in, but only after you cut your stock H pipe. Yes, you can figure out how to clamp the cats back in for inspections but it will be a pain and they will most likely leak until you fiddle with them 2-3 times. If you need to have cats for your annual inspections then buying a complete off road H pipe will be your best bet.

Florida doesn't have car inspections so I went with the cat deletes, because I'm a cheap bastard. I was never really happy with the setup until I finally went with long tubes.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
They may bolt right in, but only after you cut your stock H pipe. Yes, you can figure out how to clamp the cats back in for inspections but it will be a pain and they will most likely leak until you fiddle with them 2-3 times. If you need to have cats for your annual inspections then buying a complete off road H pipe will be your best bet.

Florida doesn't have car inspections so I went with the cat deletes, because I'm a cheap bastard. I was never really happy with the setup until I finally went with long tubes.

Brian, have you even installed a set? The 2013-2014 cats are not integrated into the mid-pipe. I would know. I've installed them on the 13GT I had. Stop talking out of your ass. They work great and don't leak.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
No, I haven't touched them on my '14. On my '09 they were welded into/ part of the H pipe.

Thanks for clearing that up.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
It isn't a whole lot more work to do the o/r h-pipe vs the cat deletes.

I did both on my '12 GT. The exhaust note was SO much better with a 3" o/r h(x)-pipe vs stock h-pipe and cat deletes. The stock h-pipe is mostly 2 1/4" with a tiny crossover inside the H section. It's worth it imo to do the whole thing.

A tune it isn't necessary for running catless (spark plug "anti-foulers"). Does it make more sense to have a tune? Of course!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back