The forum is back up

MSgt46270

Reaction score
It's still having some problems, and I'm getting withdraws. Hint hint.:thud:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I hear ya....I just had to upgrade my account big time. Apparently you guys have become addicted to the site and the server couldn't handle it, so now I get to pay out the pooper to be on our own server.:clap:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to pony up a few $$ to the board. I got no problems with that. At least I know it will be going to a good cause. Not like some other donation I have made that the receiving party never sent the money to where it was supposed to go and pay the guy for the product I was donating toward him getting...

I would suggest sending an email out to the subscription base but no need to email the spammers too ( which reminds me, take a look at my thread in the mod section )

Last edited:

G.T

Reaction score
i offered you free hosting a couple months back when the site first went down.. my offer still stands :)

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's the circumstances behind the hosting? How much bandwidth? What platform base on the servers? What level of redundancy? How frequent are the backups? What kind of firewalls? How much storage capacity on the account? Any file type restrictions?..... stuff like that.

G.T

Reaction score
the server is at DataPoint inc facility in Baltimore, MD.
Platform is Debian Sarge.
Redundancy is on the network and power supply..
DB backups are daily, File backups are weekly.
the Datacenter has their own firewall, the server runs IPTables to limit SSH/FTP connections and connections to any other port but Apache, as well as rate limit connections to block of hammering and leechers.

i have 150GB free storage on the machine in mind, and no restrictions otherwise.

come on it's just a forum man.. not the ministry of defence database :D

so to put it simply.. my server has enough bandwidth and storage to carry the site.. but shit can still happen :)

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have 150GB free storage on the machine in mind, and no restrictions otherwise.

come on it's just a forum man.. not the ministry of defence database :D

You're right... it's just a forum. Just a forum that has gone down because of hardware issues, gone down because of a server hack and lost it's data base, gone down because of taking up too much space because of all the attachments.... and done all of that while being hosted on a server owned by a company that actually does hosting for a living and charges people money to be on their server. So yea, when someone says free hosting you tend to ask a question. Didn't mean to insult you. Those are just types of questions I ask since I am a carieer man in telephony implementation and engineering.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
I hear ya....I just had to upgrade my account big time. Apparently you guys have become addicted to the site and the server couldn't handle it, so now I get to pay out the pooper to be on our own server.:clap:

I just Donated $$.$$ to help you out. You have done a lot for this forum and I thank you. Okay, everyone step up and help out, give what you can, the money is being used to help Kimmer run this site. Who's next?

Kimmer
:allhail:

Last edited:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just Donated $25 to help you out. You have done a lot for this forum and I thank you. Okay, everyone step up and help out, give what you can, the money is being used to help Kimmer run this site. Who's next?
Just "donated" again - oh and I sent some money to Kimmer too!:samuri:

Keep up the good work (and more importantly the forum - that sucked).

G.T

Reaction score
You're right... it's just a forum. Just a forum that has gone down because of hardware issues, gone down because of a server hack and lost it's data base, gone down because of taking up too much space because of all the attachments.... and done all of that while being hosted on a server owned by a company that actually does hosting for a living and charges people money to be on their server. So yea, when someone says free hosting you tend to ask a question. Didn't mean to insult you. Those are just types of questions I ask since I am a carieer man in telephony implementation and engineering.

not saying they're not valid questions to be asked..
my business sites are hosted on mirrored servers with redundant attached storage that gets backed up daily.

on the other hand i've had other sites running for 6 years now without a single outage, except once for 10 minutes while changing IPs and waiting for DNS to propagate.

i guess i've just been lucky so far.. *knocks on wood*

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I donated, please keep this server, I can get on from work again!!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that was there... thanks for pointing it out! :clap:
It only seems to show up on some of the form pages - like the "main" page...

Wouldn't be a terrible idea to have that little "donate" icon on other pages as well...

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
WOW, once again the people of this forum is what makes this forum so great! GT, i'll have to talk to you more about hosting. One reason i've stuck with this new hosting company is the fact they have been really taking care of me and do the work for me when it comes to switching stuff over because I have no damn clue what i'm doing....lol. I know a good amount about this stuff, but not enough for switching to new places. Sounds like you have good knowledge of this, so i'm definitely interested. For now, we are on our own server to do whatever the hell we want! LOL

BTW, A HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THIS SITE AND FOR THE DONATIONS!

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
KIMMER I made it here!!! Never knew this site exhisted till now!! Great site by the way! New poeple to meet and more knowledge to soak up! we should tell the boys at GO.net

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back