The numbers are in! (Brenspeed B326 + Whipple)

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks man! Honestly, I have no idea what these things make N/A. That would be a question for Brenspeed. I am maxing out the blower, you can tell it's gasping for air in the upper RPM range, where the boost drops off from the peak.

I will say a few things from my experience--since I seem to be one of the guinea pigs here for this block.

1) Brenspeed customer service has been really great. They've helped me get this block out ASAP and I cannot thank them enough for it!

2) With that said, I do have some complaints about the customer service after I paid them. Overall, they were great--do not get my wrong, I would NOT hesitate to do business with them again. However, maybe it is who I am talking to, but they don't seem to know much about what they're made and are selling... Namely:

a) I can't get a straight answer on why the hell they recommend 10w40 NON-Synthetic. They claim it's for the VCT but that makes NO sense whatsoever to me. Synthetic and Conventional shouldn't be the defining line between VCT working and not working. On top of that, I have my VCT locked out. In the end, I am running the 10w40 conventional Valvoline oil that they specifically recommend. I am going to run it for the entire life of the engine just because they built it and recommend it. I'm hoping someone in the design/engineering part of Brenspeed has the real reason but hasn't passed it on to the customer service guys.

b) They forgot to send me the dowel kit, which is part of the engine you buy. They had the stuff overnight to me but it still set me back a week or so. I know my build was quicker than most but it could've been much quicker had this little hiccup not occurred.

c) They still haven't sent me a build sheet. They also don't seem to know much about the specs and inner workings of this motor. I have a wicked oil pan weep and have suspicions that it takes a different pan or gasket. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

d) The block uses the FRPP Boss motor mounts. They told me that there is no way to lower the motor and that they do not plan on trying this in the future.

e) Knock sensors don't fit back on the B326. They don't tell you this ANYWHERE and I wish I had known. It's not a huge deal but it could have been enough to go with a different block.

3) As far as the block is concerned, it is really well put together. My motor is very quiet, the loudest noise you can hear at idle is the injectors ticking away. The thing is beautiful and very well built. Definitely a super professional motor build.

4) This thing is heavy!

^ some good info.... Thanks

well enjoy man and keep us up to date with how it works for you.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
What else you have in mind to finish it up, mods wise?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
BruceH said:
I doubt it's your oil pan gasket. A mismatch exists between the block and front cover. Oil will come out of a hole on the front cover, seep down to the oil pan and run along the gasket. The hole is located under the wp pulley.

Brenspeed just got back to me, gasket and pan are the same. The thing is, it's leaking from the entire rail around the pan, not even one spot. It's a small weep more than a leak. Maybe I got a bum gasket.

^ some good info.... Thanks

well enjoy man and keep us up to date with how it works for you.

Will do! I will probably make this a B326 info thread so if anyone has questions, just fire away!

What else you have in mind to finish it up, mods wise?

Well I kinda hate myself for not upgrading the input shaft while the car was in pieces.

I'd like to upgrade the driveshaft at the very least. After that, I think I'm done. There's nothing I can really think of--not looking to make more power but would like to bulletproof the car as much as possible. The stock LSD should hold for me. I'm gonna throw on the CHE brace to prevent axles from bending. I may also get a girdle cover. Short of this, I'd have to change transmissions since I think the input shaft would be the weakest point.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Bulletproofing is the way to go on the drivetrain now.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
What if you just weld the axle tubes instead of the girdle? Wouldn't that be almost the same but cheaper? What tranny do you want to go with?

I'm am very jealous of the power you are putting down.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
What if you just weld the axle tubes instead of the girdle? Wouldn't that be almost the same but cheaper? What tranny do you want to go with?

yeah, me too..doubled me up..lol

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score

I have no plans on getting a different tranny--running out of cash to be honest!

The labor to weld the axles would be pretty high. To do it properly, I'd have to drop the rear end, etc etc. I figured the girdle and brace is an easy bolt on and does the same thing.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Brenspeed just got back to me, gasket and pan are the same. The thing is, it's leaking from the entire rail around the pan, not even one spot. It's a small weep more than a leak. Maybe I got a bum gasket.

Block and front cover. I've been through this and have even posted a thread about it.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84097&highlight=oil

The thing is Brenspeed should of known about the issue since they are selling the blocks assembled as short blocks for use with 3v heads. Maybe they already do, I'm assuming here.

I tried alot of things to get this sealed up. After pulling the front cover for the 4th time I noticed it. Not only does the hole need to be plugged but metal needs to be added to the block and milled off or a very stout rtv needs to go where the front cover gasket doesn't cover the block.

Maybe this isn't your problem but it's fairly easy to check out. Just pull the water pump pulley and look for an oil path. It will be faint because air movement caused by the belt and pulleys clears most of it off.

Hopefully they used a Ford rear main seal. The National ones that come with gasket kits are known to leak. Mine did.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Block and front cover. I've been through this and have even posted a thread about it.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84097&highlight=oil

The thing is Brenspeed should of known about the issue since they are selling the blocks assembled as short blocks for use with 3v heads. Maybe they already do, I'm assuming here.

I tried alot of things to get this sealed up. After pulling the front cover for the 4th time I noticed it. Not only does the hole need to be plugged but metal needs to be added to the block and milled off or a very stout rtv needs to go where the front cover gasket doesn't cover the block.

Maybe this isn't your problem but it's fairly easy to check out. Just pull the water pump pulley and look for an oil path. It will be faint because air movement caused by the belt and pulleys clears most of it off.

Hopefully they used a Ford rear main seal. The National ones that come with gasket kits are known to leak. Mine did.

That's super helpful, as always. Thanks Bruce!

topbliss

Reaction score
freaking awesome numbers.. It sounds sick too. Seems to sound a lot different then the small cube 3v motors do. You are the man. Power to the 3v's!:boobies:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
freaking awesome numbers.. It sounds sick too. Seems to sound a lot different then the small cube 3v motors do. You are the man. Power to the 3v's!:boobies:

Thanks man! I feel the car sounds pretty similar to before actually but it is a slight difference, more so in the cams than the motor in my opinion.

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
Lean spike on tip in

Does the meth system controller sense manifold pressure? If so, where are you tapping in for the pressure?

I'm thinking that if the tubing to the meth controller is fairly long, and it's tapped into the manifold pressure tube going to the fuel rail pressure sensor, that sensor could be seeing a Lag in pressure-changes.

Possible?

Ron.

YoungPony

forum member
Reaction score
Ask and you shall receive!
DSC_7398.jpg

Are you still using the factory throttle body? At those boost levels a larger inlet to the supercharger would be helpful.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Does the meth system controller sense manifold pressure? If so, where are you tapping in for the pressure?

I'm thinking that if the tubing to the meth controller is fairly long, and it's tapped into the manifold pressure tube going to the fuel rail pressure sensor, that sensor could be seeing a Lag in pressure-changes.

Possible?

Ron.

I highly highly doubt that. Otherwise we'd see all kinds of issues with running a boost line to the dyno etc. It's definitely in the tune.

Ask and you shall receive!
DSC_7398.jpg

Are you still using the factory throttle body? At those boost levels a larger inlet to the supercharger would be helpful.

I know, that might be in the future but it's making great power right now! If I had to upgrade, I'd do the JPC Inlet with a bigger TB.

numbers are awesome man!

Thanks!! :boobies:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back