Those of you with rollbars......

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Where do your rear bars go through? Speaker deck? Rear seat? Rear seat removed? If any of you have pictures of your roll bar work I would appreciate seeing them. Also, if you have swing out side bars are they the pinned type or the spring loaded connection?

I just have this feeling that once "they" are installed this thing will be quicker than 11.50 and I will have to install a bar.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mine go between the seats and the side of the car, through the plastic, similar to dons

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
Here are some pics of where we put my rear braces.
The seat had to be trimmed in the rear corners. The side panels fit fine.

Attachments

• bar1.jpg
    bar1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 22
  • bar4.jpg
    bar4.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 29
  • roll-brace.jpg
    roll-brace.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 24

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here's mine. It's between the speaker and pillar. The only time you can see my cage is if you put your head in the door.

Attachments

• back seat pic of cage.jpg
    back seat pic of cage.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Roll bar

My side bars are completely removable...I only put them in for shows or at the track. The rear bars go down along side of the rear seat..it still folds down..

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
My understanding is that you're not allowed to have any bends in the rear or front support bars at all... Has your bar been inspected at all?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine is set up like Don's, rear bar goes in between the rear seat and the plastic trim.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Mine is NHRA certified and I've had no issue with any tech inspection.

how do your front and rear strut-bars connect to the chassis? I am NOT an expert on roll bars or cages, but I believe that the diagonal down-tubes are supposed to triangulate the main hoop, no? If there are bends, then the rigidity of the triangulation is lost...

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have subframe connectors which is welded to the chassis and the cage is connected to the subframes...as far as I recall.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
how do your front and rear strut-bars connect to the chassis? I am NOT an expert on roll bars or cages, but I believe that the diagonal down-tubes are supposed to triangulate the main hoop, no? If there are bends, then the rigidity of the triangulation is lost...
There are no regulations on the bends in these bars. The bars & cages I have done in the past were built with bars like this and others with straight bars. Side bars can have bends in them. There is no loss of rigidity or support. Depends on whether the car is a street/strip car or a full time race car.....solid side bars or swing out.

We normally use "kicker bars" that run from the subframe connectors out to the rocker panel. Typically, 2"x3" square tubing on stock chassis cars. These are done in the rear for the main hoop and in the footwell for the side bars. This ties the car and anchors the roll bar better than the typical 6"x6" plates welded to the floorpan that most people use.

Thanks everyone for the pictures. Especially Don....that setup is well designed and executed. I was not sure that keeping the rear seat was going to be easy. Not sure I want to keep it either but at least now I know I can get the bars where they are needed.

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I kept mine for a couple reasons: 1. not a major weight savings 2. weights behind the driver 3. looks much better than a delete. Tin would probably weigh nearly as much as the seats.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Very true. Plus, the sponsor wants to really push the whole "real street car" thing with the product.

Thanks again!!!

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Ok....now I remember why I started building my own bars and cages. Shit....cheapest price I have found is $1200. One shop would only quote chrome moly and wants right at $2000. Another actually quoted me $2450 for a mild steel bar with pin-style swing out side bars. :shock:

I wouldn't bother calling if my shop had not been robbed last August. Screw it....I'm going shopping for another bender, notcher and MIG welder this weekend. At least I know it will be done my way.

Anybody besides S&W make a kit for these cars?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back