Thoughts and opinions on Ground Control Kit.

08AlloyGT

forum member
Reaction score
This is for my daily driver commuter Mustang. Not really auto-cross, but I just thought you guys would be the ones to ask. Basically its a starting point to eliminate body roll in corners and improve the overall ride vs. stock. Anyone heard of these guys or maybe has this setup? http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=666/CA=96 I was looking at the "street ride" setup. Maybe "track/school". I'm still running the stock tires on 18" wheels. Down the road mods include upper/lower control arms, strut tower brace and possibly a twin screw.

Just getting tired of sliding out of the seat when taking a corner at speed. I'd appreciate any inputs.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Ah, grasshopper.... You have come to the right place!

For a daily-driver, I would stay away from anything labeled "track," "competition," "race," or any other synonym of that ilk. You won't be happy with the results... There's essentially two schools of thought for the suspension design, either heavy springs and light swaybars, or light springs and heavy swaybars. The first will corner flat, have little brake dive, and ride like a truck; the second will corner flat, have some brake dive, but not knock the fillings out of your molars on a pothole. The stuff designed for the street anticipates the usual gamut of road conditions, like potholes, speed bumps, railroad crossings, etc, and is set up to allow for enough compliance to keep the tires planted under those conditions. The competition/track stuff is geared more towards the open track, which is ruler flat in comparison to the average street.

Now to the heart of the matter... If your main complaint is that you're sliding around in the seat, it's not body roll that's the culprit, it's centrifigul force. Whether you're getting 15* of roll in the body or 3* of roll, your butt will want to move towards the door in a hurry on a hard right-hander, and here is the only solution:

001.jpg

It's only a half-joke. I wouldn't put a competition seat into a daily-driver, but you may want to look at upgrading your seat to something with some serious side bolsters, like Sparco, Cobra, or Bride's street pieces. Still plenty cushy for the long rides, but with real lateral support to help keep you planted. Before I put the Ultrashield seats in mine, every time I went to the track I had two huge bruises on my legs: Left outer calf (bracing against the speaker grille) and right outer knee (center stack) and my forearms were exhausted from bracing against the wheel. After the seat install, I drive with my fingertips, and my legs are unbruised. QED.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I'd also change my seats, but I like having the side impact airbags since my Mustang is my daily driver.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
See my pseudo-writeup here:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15661

The street ride is plenty firm for a DD (my car also does DD/commuting duty). It's a far cry from stock...IMO, night and day difference...but still livable on average roads. If you go with some performance street tires with a stiff sidewall, you definitely won't want to go any stiffer unless your roads are made of glass. The shocks/struts can be re-valved and spring rates easily changed down the road if the car starts to transition from DD to track toy.

As for the seat situation..do you have leather upholstry? That really aggravates butt-slide! My cloth seats aren't too horrible, that could be a quick & cheap upgrade..but of course some nice aftermarket seats like Dave said would be the ultimate!

Last edited:

08AlloyGT

forum member
Reaction score
Nice Duster! I should have searched thread titles I guess. You just sold me on the kit.

Yeah their leather seats.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Ah, grasshopper.... You have come to the right place!

Really? How many people race their cars around turns here?

Based on the OPs description I don't think he needs to spend tons of money, springs and and better shocks/struts would fit the bill ($700 vs. $1500). The $800 saved will easily pay for all the other suspension bits you may want (UCA,LCA,panhard bar,relocation brackets,etc).

But...the economy is failing, so I say buy the most expensive and unnecessary setup you can get, and put it on your VISA. Griggs SLA for DD, why not?

/sarcasm

Last edited:

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've done my share...time for everyone else! :thumb2:

Now why didnt I think of that (hold on Im calling Jay right now at G/C ) Shit just charge it up and let Obama pay for it (lol)

ONE BIG ASS MISTAKE AMERICA :thumb2:
o b a m a

06FMGT

forum member
Reaction score
I got the Ground Control Kit aswell and love it, 650lb front, 450 rear, drift/road course setup FTW!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back