Throttle hesitation at idle - 13 GT

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
I have noticed recently that after I turn off my car then turn it back on shortly after (such as getting gas, running in to the store, etc), it seems to have very poor throttle response from idle. I have almost stalled it a few times lately because of this and it is rather annoying. Anyone else have a similar issue or has this been previously discussed (I searched but did not find anything). After the initial take off everything seems fine and there are never any warning lights. I can also bump the throttle a few times at idle and it usually snaps back to normal. I am thinking this may need to be handled by the dealer since the car is stock still.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
I have noticed mine do it to. Seems like you have to let it idle down for a few seconds before you can take off with it.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
It is not idling high at all after the restart but I will wait a little longer on the restart and see how it reacts.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
My 2012 GT does the same thing. It's subsconscious now - I just wait for the engine revs to rise before releasing the clutch instead of just pushing the pedal and assuming the revs will be there. It's a momentary hesitation, but it's very real and it's part of the stock tune.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
^Thanks for the info. Hopefully a new tune will be in my near future, but in the mean time, I will just be a little more patient.

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
Mine does it also with a SC and tune. I've noticed the A/F go crazy rich when it does it. The fix I have found is to start it and don't touch the throttle for about no less than one min.

Hardcore

Reaction score
Mine does it. Mine is an auto though.

I noticed it the same as you, after getting gas.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
I've gotten into such a routine with this car that I totally forgot about this issue. It usually goes something like this:

• Turn key to on/run - wait for fuel pump to prime
  • Start car
  • Shift to neutral (I always park in gear)
  • Clear TMPS message from the dash
  • Fully disable Advancetrac
  • Plug in iPhone
  • Swtich to USB audio
  • Un-plug iPhone since the first connection always fails
  • Wait for audio to start playing via bluetooth
  • Plug in iPhone again
  • Wait for audio to stop playing on bluetooth
  • Switch to USB again
  • Drive
By the time I complete this ritual everything has always settled down. Some have speculated that waiting for the gauges to sweep and the fuel pump to prime before starting the car helps this issue - but I haven't found any scientific proof either way.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I usually just wait for it to come off high idle... But mine idles around 950 rpms (BBR tuned... Don't hate me lol, I will be getting a dyno tune soon, I hope) but let the fuel circulate a little and wait for it to come off high idle and I think that should help

Hani

forum member
Reaction score
This happened with me yesterday as well when I had to move quickly from a parking lot after starting the car (car was already warm). I guess it's normal.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Did it stock and with a tune. A cammed tune will make it a little more trickier too. lol

My brenspeed m90 cam tune does it. I just let it idle for a minute before I take off.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Guys... this happens due to the variable cam timing. It occurs because the timing is out of whack for a few seconds due to the changes in oil pressure. Once the pressure stabilizes and the computer catches up, its fine. It will happen with any tune you have. The more aggressive the tune is, the more noticeable it will get too.

If you lock out your phasers for an aggressive cam, it will be really noticeable.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Guys... this happens due to the variable cam timing. It occurs because the timing is out of whack for a few seconds due to the changes in oil pressure. Once the pressure stabilizes and the computer catches up, its fine. It will happen with any tune you have. The more aggressive the tune is, the more noticeable it will get too.

If you lock out your phasers for an aggressive cam, it will be really noticeable.
Yessir. I have notcied it works a lot like a carb choke. You can bump the throttle and the idle will come down and the cams will calm down. After it seems to be fine. If you don't take off soon after that the cams will go back their their spot they were supposed to be in before you interupted them. If you wait mentioned for them to do their thing first, no problems.

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
My lund cammed tune does it. My car has been tuned since 500 miles, so I can't comment if it does it stock. lol.

Blakstang

Reaction score
Mine is fully stock and does it. It sits at 800 rpm for a min then for a couple seconds, it will dump down to 500 to 550. This didn't happen till I did a muffler delete Could I have a leak or something?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back