Ticking in Fuel rail.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
I've searched and searched for a few nights now. I have this damn constant ticking going on at the top end. It's not in the valve covers, it's not on a header, I have used a stethoscope and pinpointed it down to the fuel rails. Both sides. At first I was thinking a cracked header because of this horrible popping I get when decelerating. It sounds like a machine gun at some points. The ticking I can't tell if it goes away or not because my exhaust is so loud. And sometimes it seems the ticking is under the car when I pull up beside a building.

Things that have happened before the ticking started.

Went from 93 race oct tune to 87 street tune ( car is now my DD)
I was about a 1/2 qrt low on oil and added some to the car.

Things I have done to correct the problem...
This is before I figured out fuel rail I changed the oil to 5w30 instead of 5w20

Today I took off the fuel rails and flipped them upside down to see if anything was loose, or broken. ( not sure why but I did)

I am to the point that I am going to take it to the stealership and let them diagnose it but I really hate to.

Only mods up in this area are delete plates.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Can they get louder like really pronounced louder it sounds just like a lifter ticking but I don't hear anything but normal noise coming from the valve covers

I'm uploading a video to photobucket so I will post that in a few

Last edited by a moderator:

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
It runs fine no misses or anything just that popping on deceleration.

Ive looked into the cam phasers and adjusters and i cant even find a solid price on them.

Ok im.confused. normally i start the car up and instant tick. This morning it ran like a dream up until i got.to work. No tick no nothing until i pulled into the parking lot at work.

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
just a heads up adam, justin's 06 started that and his is the phasers ticking.
send me the video to my phone.

Stang613

forum member
Reaction score
Alright - I've been having the same problem for a year now. I finally brought it to Ford and they also drove it, and used the stethoscope.

They said it was the injectors, and they usually make that sound.. I didn't think it was, but apparently. I will bring it to another dealer and see what they say.

That being said though - if it actually is the injectors, would changing them to a higher output injector/changing the injectors stop the noise??

They also checked the phasers, and they seemed to be running per normal.

Rene06GT

low 12s for now....
Reaction score
Do this, isolate the injectors one at a time and do a injector balance test see if they are the cause of the noise or not....

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Did still ticks. Also unplugged the vct and started the car. Still ticking. I'm guessing its going to be a valve train issue. Although when I went to work today no tick for a 20 minute drive. Then tick once I got to work.then at lunch I put 93 Oct back in it and the tick got quieter and still quieter after the 20 minute drive. But still tick. Also changed to stock tune. Which leads me to another question could it mess up anything running the cmpd plates with no tune. Only problem I have seen is speedometer is off for 10 MPH due to wheels and gears.

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
SOUNDS LIKE A follower/lash adjuster issue.......they get louder with age, then they fail and bust your head apart from all the little peices that go every where......my friends 05 did it, it go worse and worse......then it got perfectly quite, few minutes later it busted his head......

my nieghbors 04 f-150 did it too....i could here it ticking from about 75 feet away..........i told him he shouldnt drive it and to get it fixed, a week later i asked him where his truck was..........."its at the shop getting a new motor".....he didnt listen to me

Last edited:

Rene06GT

low 12s for now....
Reaction score
Do u have access to another set of injectors? Id try swapping them out and see if it helps. If so u know the problem, if not u know its not the injectors. Then as already stated look into the valve train.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Have you pulled the valve covers yet ? If it's intermittent like you say, then it sounds like a phaser. If it was lash adjuster/followers it wouldn't come and go.

Pull the covers and if everything looks good with the valve train, I'd replace the VCT solenoid and phaser.

Last edited:

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Update for today. Just started the car.for the first time since last night.. the tick is almost gone today.
Could it be possible that bad gas caused the injectors to get louder since this is the first time in 3 years i had put 87 oct in it? And now that 93 oct is back in it is getting better? Just trying to diagnose before it goes to the shop tuesday to have the valve covers pulled.

Also it might have gotten missed. Will it hurt anything to run the stock tune like i am with the cmpds installed as long as im not beating on it?

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Update for today. Just started the car.for the first time since last night.. the tick is almost gone today.
Could it be possible that bad gas caused the injectors to get louder since this is the first time in 3 years i had put 87 oct in it? And now that 93 oct is back in it is getting better? Just trying to diagnose before it goes to the shop tuesday to have the valve covers pulled.

Also it might have gotten missed. Will it hurt anything to run the stock tune like i am with the cmpds installed as long as im not beating on it?

That loud ass ticking does not sound like injectors. Only other thing it sounds like it could be a a serious exhaust leak. If you don't have headers, I would rule that out though.

It won't hurt to run the cmdp's without a tune. You'll just get a code.

Last edited:

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd replace the VCT solenoid and phaser.

I have an extra set of these solenoids if you want to try them out. IF they fix your problem you can buy them from me. I have them listed in the forums for $40 shipped...if it doesn't fix the problem just send them back.

I'll also look for that spare set of OEM injectors. Same deal..if they dont' fix the problem just send them back to me.

RH

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
That loud ass ticking does not sound like injectors. Only other thing it sounds like it could be a a serious exhaust leak. If you don't have headers, I would rule that out though.

It won't hurt to run the cmdp's without a tune. You'll just get a code.

I do have long tubes. And ive been told a leak would also cause the popping

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You might do a once over on all the header and collector bolts.

RH

How easy/hard is it to change the VCT Solenoids/Phaser?

The solenoids are pretty easy. Remove valve covers..remove solenoids..replace valve covers. The phaser is a different story. Click the link in one of my posts further up in this thread for a YouTube video on changing the phasers.

RH

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Shop called. Said they can't pinpoint where its coming from. Said they pulled the valve cover on ds and everything is where its supposed to be and nothing seems off.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back