Tire recommendations?

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running 275/40/18 NT555's all the way around right now. I realize now they are completely useless at the track, the other day I was getting 2.0 60's, which I thought was decent, but the shift into 2nd spun so hard the ass end was getting loose. The wife came home today complaining of the car fish tailing around corners unintentionally. That's stupid for a < 400 rwhp car. Time to tire shop.

The car is NOT daily driven, but I need a tire that isn't going to kill us if we get caught in a surprise rain shower. That said, I'm open to a drag radial if it does OK on the street. I'm open to others too...at least they'll be cheap, and I would get some Race Stars later on.

Recommendations? The wheels are 9.5 inches wide.

I'm somewhat leaning toward a NT05R 305/45/18...it's 28 inches tall which is ideal for my gear ratio. It'd be good for the track, but it might be so much sidewall that it'd look goofy.

Last edited:

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score

2011/5.0

Reaction score
I run the tire kris mentioned on my street rims they do ok in the rain as i have found out as long as they have got tread. I dont do any burnouts on them. Thats what the mt et streets and the drag strip are for. I run the 555 front and 555r out back

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
305mm is 12 inches wide... I would stick with 275's unless you plan to change to a wider rim.

There are lots of good summer tires out there. Michelin Pilots are probably the best if you can afford them. If you are looking for something stickier and don't mind if they wear out in 12k miles, look at BFG Rivals, Hankook RS3, or Dunlop Star Spec/Direzza DII. I am on a budget and run Goodyear F1 Supercar in 285/40/18 on a 10 inch wide rim. They were around $600 and much grippier than the NT555's I ran last summer. The tires I mentioned above will run roughly double the cost.

Last edited:

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe NT555R's are the way to go (just gotta slide that $600 by the wife) The cheap Goodyear F1 Supercars are tempting and would make it easier to talk my way into some Race Stars later on. The mismatched tread would probably bug me though.

Thanks guys.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
I would go with the 555r's also. Plus they match your fronts.

Other choice would be a nice max performance summer. I was never impressed with the normal 555's traction, they are an older outdated tire to be honest. They have been around since like the 90's. The Goodyear F1 Supercars havent got the best reviews, i havent used them personally but I have seen alot of negative comments about treadwear, uneven wear, poor wet traction, etc.
If you like Nittos the invo is suppose to have alot more traction.

Last edited:

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Not daily driven makes a big difference... I was going to recommend Conti DW's for a street driven car. Mine hook up much better than my old tires and do just fine in the rain.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not daily driven makes a big difference... I was going to recommend Conti DW's for a street driven car. Mine hook up much better than my old tires and do just fine in the rain.

My DW's where great! Great dry traction and great wet traction. I have a set of 555r on my car now for the summer. Haven't really had a chance to drive the 555r in the rain, and no matter what, that will make me nervous just because its a drag radial.

on a side note, 2.0 60ft isn't terrible for a street tire. Are the 555 that bad or are they worn out?

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I love my NT05's. Cut 1.8 60's on them last year, only because I was increasing launch RPM, and hadn't hit the sweet spot yet.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
on a side note, 2.0 60ft isn't terrible for a street tire. Are the 555 that bad or are they worn out?

My tires have excellent tread, they probably don't have 2k miles on them. The 2.00 60 the other day was the best I've done, but the spinning going into 2nd was so bad I let off every single run. Part of the blame could be on the track, and it was pretty cool out.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
My '08 GT (stock motor) would slide in the rain on stock wheels and 235's

I swapped on x9.5 GT500 wheels and 285/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar and never slipped around a corner or by "goosing" it. Eagle F1 Supercar has my vote.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My tires have excellent tread, they probably don't have 2k miles on them. The 2.00 60 the other day was the best I've done, but the spinning going into 2nd was so bad I let off every single run. Part of the blame could be on the track, and it was pretty cool out.

Oh, I see. I lit up my 1st gear at the track last week with my 555r- I blame mostly myself and the crappy track prep. I'm surprise a summer tire can't handle 400rwhp, although I never tried the nt555. I would also recommend checking out tire rack and their reviews- It has been very helpful for me when shopping for tires.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I run the nitto 555r as a daily driver tire. In the rain they are fine but I don't encourage it at high speeds. They will last up to 15k miles too. I raced all last season on them too. They are ok at the track but not as consistant as my MT drag radials.

blacksunshine01

Reaction score
285/35r19 potenza s04pp here on all 4 with 9.5 wheels. I am all stock other than suspension and have yet to break them loose. Snd they have been doing great in the wet also.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Definitely look into the Bridgestone Potenza's for something to run track and wet conditions. I have Hankook Noble2's now, since my car is a DD, but will be switching back to the Potenza PP All Season's when the time comes. Michelin's will wear out quick, and of course the Pirelli's suck. The Continental DWs maybe something to look at as well.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
I shoulda checked the thread yesterday, didn't see the other recommendationd in time. I just ordered a pair of "used" (200 miles) 285/40 555r's off EBay for $500. I thought that was a decent deal.

Back