To buy or not to buy a supercharger?

Bryce A

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got an 07 GT with 80k miles. Runs good and drives even better. Looking at purchasing a supercharger in the near future and want to get peoples opinions on if I should even think to put one on a car with this many miles. If I shouldn't - why not. If I should - what to check before making a serious purchase like this. (compression, change all the fluids, check for leaks and abnormal noises, etc...)

I'm also looking for info/reviews/experiences with the Roush, Kenne Bell, and Edelbrock E-Force S/C kits. The problem with the tuner kits/DOB builds for me is getting the tune for the car. I know it might sound dumb but i read everywhere the tune is everything and it can make/break your car. There are no tuner shops near me so thats why im looking for a complete kit with everything included so i can put it on and go down the street. Another concern of mine is product support - just how long will these companies continue to make/sell and service blowers for these older mustangs? How hard is it to find parts for some that are discontinued now? Will some stay around longer than others?

If I do buy a supercharger, I obviously want to stay in the safe hp/tq zone and i understand the risks with doing a performance modification like this. I do not plan on building the motor unless i blow it up and would replace it. I dont drag race the car, its just a daily driver in the summer months.

Thanks,
Bryce

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
It's easy. That is low miles. I took my engine apart to install con rods at that mileage and everything except the rings looked new. If it runs well you are ready to go.

Go dob. I prefer the M122 head unit. Get the best cooling system.

Get lito to do your tune.

I'd buy the GT500 fuel system.

Bryce A

Reaction score
It's easy. That is low miles. I took my engine apart to install con rods at that mileage and everything except the rings looked new. If it runs well you are ready to go.

Go dob. I prefer the M122 head unit. Get the best cooling system.

Get lito to do your tune.

I'd buy the GT500 fuel system.

I was pricing the DOB setups and its nearly the same price as the prebuilt kits from KB, Edelbrock and Roush. Doesnt seem to be worth it to go through the hassle of gathering all the parts and still having to talk to Lito to get a tune done. The kits seem to be much easier and theres no guessing. You pay the extra money in knowing you have EVERYTHING you need, including the tune.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The tuner kits are base info that they send with. It's not a one size fits all kind of thing. Doing a remote is the way to go. Lito will walk you through it as what to do. A/F gauge, boost all things you will need. The preloaded tunes just suck. Why spend all that money for the car to not make power that you added or very little of it?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Bryce A

Reaction score
The tuner kits are base info that they send with. It's not a one size fits all kind of thing. Doing a remote is the way to go. Lito will walk you through it as what to do. A/F gauge, boost all things you will need. The preloaded tunes just suck. Why spend all that money for the car to not make power that you added or very little of it?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Like i said, I'm not going to piece together a kit. I'm looking for a one and done deal from a reputable source with parts that aren't used. If i buy a kit and its rated at 450hp and i get 430hp, i wont care and probably wouldn't even notice honestly.

Laga

Reaction score
I did the Edelbrock kit on my 05 about 4 years ago when the car had 48K miles. It was my wife’s daily driver and her commute was only 3 miles round trip. The install was easy. My previous mechanical experience was brakes, alternator, water pump level stuff.
The base tune will get the car rolling. As soon as possible have Lito do the tune. The difference between the original Brenspeed tune and Lito’s is night and day. You will need to install a A/F and boost gauge. Do this at the same time as the SC install. Get the analog input for the SCT for the A/F readings. Much easier.
I love the instant torque if the Edelbrock. I have also converted to E85. Not only does this increase performance, it adds another layer of safety against detonation. Lito tuned mine rather conservatively, so not to blow things up. Which can happen if you get stupid.

Bryce A

Reaction score
I did the Edelbrock kit on my 05 about 4 years ago when the car had 48K miles. It was my wife’s daily driver and her commute was only 3 miles round trip. The install was easy. My previous mechanical experience was brakes, alternator, water pump level stuff.
The base tune will get the car rolling. As soon as possible have Lito do the tune. The difference between the original Brenspeed tune and Lito’s is night and day. You will need to install a A/F and boost gauge. Do this at the same time as the SC install. Get the analog input for the SCT for the A/F readings. Much easier.
I love the instant torque if the Edelbrock. I have also converted to E85. Not only does this increase performance, it adds another layer of safety against detonation. Lito tuned mine rather conservatively, so not to blow things up. Which can happen if you get stupid.

This is what i was looking for, someone with one of the kits I have mentioned. Any reason you went with the Edelbrock and not other brands?

byblazed

Reaction score
This is what i was looking for, someone with one of the kits I have mentioned. Any reason you went with the Edelbrock and not other brands?

Is there a reason you aren't considering any centrifugal blowers? Just curious.

Laga

Reaction score
I wanted a positive displacement SC and not a centrifugal. Edelbrock was the simplest to install and all the kits produce the same amount of results. Like you, I didn’t want to put together pieces, I wanted a one and done kit. I purchased the kit from Brenspeed, which at the time, had a good reputation. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought it someplace else.
It took me 1 1/2 days to install. The younger me without the spinal problems could have done it in a day. Started first try.

Performance has been great. No regrets.

The main problem with any PD blower is that they run hot. You have 60-70 pounds of metal sitting on top of the engine, creating a huge heat sink. The heat exchangers that come with most kits are too small. You will be looking for a larger one soon. I went with a VMP with fans.
I cannot emphasize enough the importance of the tune. When you start adding big power to these engines, you have to be careful. Lito is the best.
Feel free to ask any questions if you do the install.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
How hot are we talking. My IAT's are often about 150F when sitting in traffic.

Laga

Reaction score
How hot are we talking. My IAT's are often about 150F when sitting in traffic.
Mine used to be that high before the upgraded heat exchanger. I don’t do a lot of driving in heavy traffic, but here’s an example of my results from the upgrade.
https://www.s197forum.com/threads/new-heat-exchanger.137765/
I recently did a track day where I lost power to both the fans and water pump for the heat exchanger. Intercooler water temperature hit 200°F.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
If your engine is in good condition you don’t really have much to worry about. Looking to play on the street and enjoy the low end instant torque a positive displacement blower is what you want. A “all inclusive kit” is certainly a great idea, the problem is several venders no longer support the 3 valve engine. This leaves a few companies that will assemble a kit for you and may or may not include a tune. Not to mention waiting for them to locate or manufacture the components for the kit. I would probably throw an Edelbrock E force at it and I would likely purchase it from Brenspeed and begin with their tune. Knowing Brenspeed will not adjust the tune to your liking (typically) you should plan on doing custom tune adjustments and datalogs with a professional tuner like Lito.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Mine used to be that high before the upgraded heat exchanger. I don’t do a lot of driving in heavy traffic, but here’s an example of my results from the upgrade.
https://www.s197forum.com/threads/new-heat-exchanger.137765/
I recently did a track day where I lost power to both the fans and water pump for the heat exchanger. Intercooler water temperature hit 200°F.
I'm running a 2013 gt five dingus hot side rad. It's the small intercooler exchanger and the tvs 1.9 bypass properties for me I think. Under load when not idling, Ie: immediately when fresh air starts moving, my temps are under control.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Don't forget VMP. Their head units are custom built by Roush for VMP (or used to be, anyway). And unless there are unexplained issues with your engine, VMP's 'canned tune' will be very close to perfect. My opinion is slightly biased as I've known Justin for a while and he's probably the smartest man I've ever met. He reminds me of Lt. Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Hi Bryce,

I have a DOB system (full kit w/M122) and other than having to do some custom wiring it was actually a "fun" installation. Instructions are straightforward and progressive by system. As far as keeping IAT's down it's one of the major reasons I chose DOB over everyone else. You get to choose whether you opt for an insulated manifold which due to its design and materials significantly lowers the amount of heat transfer from the heads and water intake to the manifold. You also get to choose which heat exchanger you want. I choose one from a 2013 GT500. It's larger and proven to cool much better compared to a stock HE from Edelbrock or any of the other kits available out there. In my book the manifold; HE, what supercharger and tune are some of the most important choices you have. With the other kits you have no choices. And, like most will end up upgrading later.

I did a lot of research before I upgraded (I looked at/compared all of them) and given the options/results feel I made the right choice as I have exactly what I wanted. My car runs excellent and you wouldn't know it's supercharged until you step on it which is what I was shooting for. Yeah, you're going to have to delve a bit deeper to understand what it takes to tune your car properly and work with a remote tuner or get it dyno tuned but it'll be worth it and you might learn a few things you didn't know before. I did and I've been working on cars for +40 years. I'm not a mechanic however but I like to think I understand at least the basics of most systems. If you do decide to go the custom route there are several of us who have experience installing/troubleshooting systems and happy to help with advice/pics.

Just for SA my IAT's run around 100 deg or less at cruise (70-80) and I may see 130 - 135 sitting in traffic in summer but temps come down immediately you start start moving.

Tman

forum member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if they still make it but I have the Whipple supercharger kit I think it was marketed by Ford racing. Whipple still had it up on their website last I checked. Comes complete with the upgraded fuel pump and oversize intercooler. Also has a very safe tune included with the kit. “According to them“. Might want to check it out if it’s still available. I’ve been really happy with it drives like a stock car until you step on it. Instant power. I know they were still supporting parts and service for them a couple years ago they completely rebuilt my Supercharger at around 100,000 miles.
f8adf3b6d39d53a7054cab3baddc992a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Alibi 2

If not today, when ??????
Reaction score
The tunes that come with kits are on the conservative side, a good starting point, but that's all. The kit from FRPP ran rich.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back