To buy or not to buy a supercharger?

BAD3VLV

Reaction score
I installed the Roush tvs2300 phase 2 kit on my 2005 with 156,000 miles on it. As long as the car was maintained with scheduled oil changes you should be fine.

tabstang

Reaction score
I'm on my 5th S197 supercharger setup:
08 V6 with a Vortec base kit (SUPER easy install, loved it, shoulda kept it),
05 GT with a Procharger (what a frikkin beast, 595 rwhp - had hard miles on it when I got it, too much boost for the 4.6, blower had significant wear after about 40K when I pulled it out),
08 GT with a 2.9 Whipple (it had 110 lb/hr injectors, WAY too big, didn't want to run below 2000 rpm),
07 GT with a Roush 0.9l (closest to OE feel, seamless operation, blower was like new when I pulled it out with 39k miles on it),
07 GT with same 2.9 Whipple kit - gotta downsize those injectors!).

After all this, my advice is to make sure you REALLY love that car cuz you're gonna be way upside down in it.

I'd look for a used kit - not an easy find but they are out there, I've sold 3 of them - buyers got a great deal on complete setups. (Try searchtempest.com, racingjunk.com etc.).

Other than cost I gotta say the extra power will totally transform the car into something visceral and exciting - BUT you gotta upgrade suspension and brakes. The 07GT / Roush 0.9l had stock suspension and brakes when I got it and I was shocked at the bouncy, wallowing ride after 3 cars with upgraded suspension. (Good thing I already had the parts to upgrade it!)

I'd look very hard for another car that someone else has built up, you'd be surprised how cheap you can get one.

Bryce A

Reaction score
I found an 07 Shelby GT, not a GT500. Original owner with 48k miles, never seen rain or salt. He's asking 20k for it. Good candidate for a Kenne Bell blower or would it be best kept stock and original?

Deezil

Reaction score
Im 100% putting a twin screw blower on mine, I want the low end torque, '09 with 103K miles, just saving up for one. Not positive what kit to go with yet, the DOB kits are not very clear to me what you get and what you need, but Im a ways out as the setups are expensive. Hopefully next year.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I didn't see Whipple on your initial list of possibles but you ought to consider one. Developed in conjunction with Ford Racing and probably the easiest install. I mean the hardest part was installing the fuel pump. I changed up some things from the original kit with my own fuel rails and reversed the flow into the intercooler. I do believe it comes with the largest intercooler out of all the kits but I could be wrong. There is no relocating alternators or anything like that. Took me a day from start to finish.

Aerofinz

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Bryce A,]"I found an 07 Shelby GT, not a GT500. Original owner with 48k miles, never seen rain or salt. He's asking 20k for it. Good candidate for a Kenne Bell blower or would it be best kept stock and original?[/QUOTE]

Nice find! I'd mod it and enjoy it. Serious collectors will be paying a premium for lower mileage examples.

Last edited:

Roscoe

Reaction score
Just ordered a novi kit from Beefcake racing one of the vendors here. So pumped! Saved some dough on the black Friday sale they're having. Now I can start buying all the useless bolt ons and they'll actually benefit me

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back