To change timing chain or not change it, that is the question

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my car is approaching 150k (2008 bullitt) miles and i have a question on the longevity of the timing chains and timing components. I like to keep on top of the wear and tare items but it seems like people replace the timing components only when they fail and not as a preventative maintenance. Should I replace these items? Or should I just put that money towards some Ford racing camshafts? I got some long tube headers and x pipe... I have been meaning to buy camshafts for a long time

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
My car has 130K and i'll be changing mine just for good measure. Rather be safe than sorry, and there no way to see if they are worn without taking the front cover off, so I figure while the case is off i'll change them.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
stock stuff should do 300k - rest of engine will fall apart first. Possibly change during rebuild/valve and seat resurfacing.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I've got 220k on my 06gt. Stock timing chain/phasers and everything else holding up just fine.

Turbotungsten

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any timing chain failures? I have never heard of one on our cars. I have heard of a couple tensioner failures, and of course phaser issues, but no chain breakage. I know you should probably change them, but I think you will be just fine.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any timing chain failures? I have never heard of one on our cars. I have heard of a couple tensioner failures, and of course phaser issues, but no chain breakage. I know you should probably change them, but I think you will be just fine.
They won't break, they will stretch though

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I've always been partial to "while I'm in there..." method. If I'm swapping cams on something with a fistful of miles (50k/mi at least or more) I just don't see it being a waste of money for a couple hundo to replace timing equipment. I'm already there, and the motor has to be timed anyway. Also, stuff like phasers/solenoids have been revised several times over the years (in most cases, revisions are improvements). So it doesn't hurt to have the latest and greatest. Waiting until timing equipment fails, is failed logic. Most timing failures are costly and catastrophic. As others have stated, the chain itself may never break, but it does stretch, which can leave you hunting for gremlins in a poor timing condition but not a failure. Other stuff like sensors (cam sensors, crank sensor, O2 sensor, ect.,) I'll let those go til failure. Most are fairly cheap to replace and easier to diagnose in a failed condition.

Do the timing kit while you're in there, and you won't have to worry about it unless it actually fails. At 150k/mi, I'd entertain valve springs as well since you're already in there.

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
I've always been partial to "while I'm in there..." method. If I'm swapping cams on something with a fistful of miles (50k/mi at least or more) I just don't see it being a waste of money for a couple hundo to replace timing equipment. I'm already there, and the motor has to be timed anyway. Also, stuff like phasers/solenoids have been revised several times over the years (in most cases, revisions are improvements). So it doesn't hurt to have the latest and greatest. Waiting until timing equipment fails, is failed logic. Most timing failures are costly and catastrophic. As others have stated, the chain itself may never break, but it does stretch, which can leave you hunting for gremlins in a poor timing condition but not a failure. Other stuff like sensors (cam sensors, crank sensor, O2 sensor, ect.,) I'll let those go til failure. Most are fairly cheap to replace and easier to diagnose in a failed condition.

Do the timing kit while you're in there, and you won't have to worry about it unless it actually fails. At 150k/mi, I'd entertain valve springs as well since you're already in there.

This is exactly my thought. I plan to keep the car for a very long time and i'll take care of the little things before they become a big issue.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
This is exactly my thought. I plan to keep the car for a very long time and i'll take care of the little things before they become a big issue.

That's how I rolled with my '08 til I sold it. No smoke, no leaks, no knocks, and no ticks from that engine, just blower whoosh and 747 turbine howl. Everybody said that motor wouldn't make it a year with a blower. Has been procharged for 4 years now, that I know of, and still running stock. All about how you drive and take care of your shit (and live sacrifices to the car gods who keep boosted engines alive who are worthy).

Engines rely on 2 things to keep them running forever. Lubrication (oil, blood, foul language) and fuel (gasoline, ethanol, cash).

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Good money after bad throwing extraneous stuff into a 3V. Entire low mileage engines are available for less than the cost of a timing drive.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Good money after bad throwing extraneous stuff into a 3V. Entire low mileage engines are available for less than the cost of a timing drive.

Define...'low mileage'. And how much $$ for said low mileage eng ?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Hey guys, my car is approaching 150k (2008 bullitt) miles and i have a question on the longevity of the timing chains and timing components. I like to keep on top of the wear and tare items but it seems like people replace the timing components only when they fail and not as a preventative maintenance. Should I replace these items? Or should I just put that money towards some Ford racing camshafts? I got some long tube headers and x pipe... I have been meaning to buy camshafts for a long time

At that mileage it's cheap insurance to replace the front timing components (chains/guides/phasers) plus the cam followers/lash adjusters if you're going to replace cams. It's also an opportunity to replace the oil pump with an upgraded version that has billet gears. Then you'll have the peace of mind knowing that you won't need to pull the valve covers for another 150k miles.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Freedom Racing sells the chains, tensioners, and guides for under $150. I'd say it is worth it.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Let's make this simple, don't fix what ain't broke. If it has less than 150K don't do anything but change the cams, especially if there are no known issues.
There is a lot more to changing the timing set compared to the cam swap.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back