Tokico Adj Bad?

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I'm swapping out my LCAs and noticed this. The right side shock looks like it's leaking. Left side is dry. Is it done for? If so, any advise of where to get a replacement? Thx...

ra4yhy3y.jpg
by8ube7e.jpg

Last edited:

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Spray it down with brake cleaner, although I doubt it is from anywhere else.

If it's passing through the seals and getting out, it is not going to react at the same rate as the other side.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Which could be the cause for my rear end being loose when under load. That's the reason I'm replacing the LCAs (which needed it anyway), but that shock could be the cause of my problems. I'll clean it up and check it in week to see what's up. Thanks!

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
Scramblr;
I'm pretty sure these are limited lifetime warranty (part of the reason I bought mine). You might want to look into a warranty claim,
http://www.stangsuspension.com does sell them individually, and I think Summit does as well.

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Scramblr;
I'm pretty sure these are limited lifetime warranty (part of the reason I bought mine). You might want to look into a warranty claim,
http://www.stangsuspension.com does sell them individually, and I think Summit does as well.

Thanks for the input. I've had these shocks for 7 years, so I've gotten some good use out of them. I tried to find info on the warranty but there's not much out there and their website doesn't help much. I did find a replacement for $147 on Amazon, so that's not too bad.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alex from my understanding you would need to go through whatever vendor you purchased them from for the warranty. Also these were only used on the street right? Say yes lol.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alex from my understanding you would need to go through whatever vendor you purchased them from for the warranty. Also these were only used on the street right? Say yes lol.

HaHa...YES! And shit, 7 years ago...I would need to dig through some stuff to find where the hell I bought them. $150 replacement isn't bad and worth avoiding the hassle. :crazy:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Could it be that when the shock travels the shock boot is contacting the body and rubbing that spot clean?

If you remove the shock you can compress it with your hands and play with the adjuster. If it is a tiny bit bad you probably won’t be able to tell. But if it smoked you will be able too.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could it be that when the shock travels the shock boot is contacting the body and rubbing that spot clean?

If you remove the shock you can compress it with your hands and play with the adjuster. If it is a tiny bit bad you probably won’t be able to tell. But if it smoked you will be able too.

Can't tell from the picture, but the entire shock is covered in oil. It even looks wet, but it just comes out dark in the picture. I cleaned it up real good and will keep an eye on it the next few weeks to see if it leaks.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
I had something similar on my qa1's on my old cobra, I cleaned it off and never saw it again, and I always wondered what it came from, although they seemed to work just fine before and after that happened.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I have an issue somewhere. I swapped out the LCAs and my rear end is still all over the place. 40mph in 3rd, I step on it and the rear end breaks loose to the left every time...kinda scary. I have to baby the car the whole time and it's pissing me off.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
His signature details say he has a Truetrac. There are no clutches, it utilizes a worm gear setup with fluid restriction. With mine I can break the rear end loose and it stays straight as an arrow. It works amazingly well.

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
ahh, nevermind then, he should unbolt the bottom of the shock and press it up, see if it is leaking. it will move slowly, then as it hits air suddenly collapse. or compare it to the other side. shouldn't take long.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
His signature details say he has a Truetrac. There are no clutches, it utilizes a worm gear setup with fluid restriction. With mine I can break the rear end loose and it stays straight as an arrow. It works amazingly well.

Yep, the rear end used to stay straight under any acceleration. Now I'm driving like a grandma and it sucks. :chainsaw:

ahh, nevermind then, he should unbolt the bottom of the shock and press it up, see if it is leaking. it will move slowly, then as it hits air suddenly collapse. or compare it to the other side. shouldn't take long.

I should have done that when I was swapping out the LCAs. I'll see if I have time this week, and if not definitely next weekend. Thanks for the input. :thumb2:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
When you spin the tires, do both rear tires pull evenly? You might test it in an empty parking lot and see if both tire marks are equal length. Maybe the TrueTrac isn't working correctly any more? If it isn't, I'd try new fluid first. I've had great luck with Lucas.

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
if the tru trac isn't working correctly I think he'd know it. there would be many crunching sounds and probably wouldn't move well. I have one in my car too. the way it's designed, it either works or is broke. not much in between like the factory diff

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you spin the tires, do both rear tires pull evenly? You might test it in an empty parking lot and see if both tire marks are equal length. Maybe the TrueTrac isn't working correctly any more? If it isn't, I'd try new fluid first. I've had great luck with Lucas.

One of the good things about not getting traction is that I can see the tire marks behind me...LOL. There's always two patches and they're even...not straight mind you, but even.

if the tru trac isn't working correctly I think he'd know it. there would be many crunching sounds and probably wouldn't move well. I have one in my car too. the way it's designed, it either works or is broke. not much in between like the factory diff

True statement...I already killed one. :dunce:

Needs to let me drive it............

HAHA...we can do that. I'll put it towards my "Lift" credit in your new garage!!! :thumb2:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The same shock was covered in oil again, so I purchased a replacement and installed it today. I could hear a big leak on the old one when I compressed it by hand.

No test drive yet as I also wanted to replace my leaking radiator with a new Mishimoto I have sitting here and the silicone hoses too. Simple job, right? Fucking stock radiator wouldn't come out. Then I noticed the hose from the H/E is sitting right on top of the bottom bracket. DAMN...now I have to take that hose off so I can replace the radiator. I said fuck it and closed the garage. LOL... I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back