Tools for Paxton Blower Install

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'm going to start installing a Paxton blower this weekend. In looking over the needed tools, I'm missing a few. I need the below tools and have never even heard of them. Where is a good place to buy them?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3/8" NPT Tap and Handle[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Springlock 3/8" and 5/8”Fuel Fitting Disconnect Tool[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Stepless Clamp Pliers[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Yes, I'm going to have knowledgeable help. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks![/FONT]

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
3/8 tap and handle will be at any hardware store with a decent plumbing section

the fuel disconnect tool will be at any auto parts store, you can usually get them in the bargain bin, but if not, they really arent that expensive ($5-$10)

the pliers may be a bit tougher to find but not impossible. theyre not a specialty tool, but your best bet may be amazon if you have prime

07 Boss

Reaction score
3/8" npt tap and handle refers to the size tap and die you need
Fuel fitting disconnect tool is a little thingy that slides over the fuel line and into the connection. You need this for fuel fittings
Stepless clamp pliers are exactly that, pliers for stepless clamps.

All of these should be available at your local auto parts store or a Harbor Freight if you have on near you.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm scared as hell to do this. It's been sitting for a month.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's an easy install. Really, it won't be bad. IMO the hardest part is the piggyback fuel pump.

It will take some time but all of the steps are doable and have been done with success by plenty of people on this board.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure what you would need stepless clamp pliers for. My kit came with regular band clamps. I replaced them with beefier band clamps though, the ones that came with the kit are the crappy ones that break if you tighten them too much. GL!

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I actually like the step-less clamps, but if you really didn't want to buy the pliers, you could easily just buy and use regular worm gear clamps in their place, but they're kind of bulky looking in comparison. Just take your time, take breaks when you need to, and you'll be done and installed before you know it. I just finished with my paxton along with oil pump gears and timing gear upgrade, and it was a walk in the park.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
It comes with a Deatschwerks 340lph pump.

Again this is going to be your biggest speed bump along with routing the intercooler pipes if you have an air to air setup.

If it came with a pump by itself you'll need to dismount the stock pump from the hat and connect the DW pump into the stock hat. If it came as an assembly, like the Walbro TU281hp, it would make the install easier for you.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score

It's an easy install. Really, it won't be bad. IMO the hardest part is the piggyback fuel pump.

It will take some time but all of the steps are doable and have been done with success by plenty of people on this board.

I've never replaced a fuel pump in my entire life. I have the complete service manual. My kid who is a diesel mechanic was supposed to help but he backed out for some reason. My other son, who is an electrician will be helping me.

Not sure what you would need stepless clamp pliers for. My kit came with regular band clamps. I replaced them with beefier band clamps though, the ones that came with the kit are the crappy ones that break if you tighten them too much. GL!

Maybe it comes with better clamps now? I haven't looked in the box except to see the head unit, lol.

I actually like the step-less clamps, but if you really didn't want to buy the pliers, you could easily just buy and use regular worm gear clamps in their place, but they're kind of bulky looking in comparison. Just take your time, take breaks when you need to, and you'll be done and installed before you know it. I just finished with my paxton along with oil pump gears and timing gear upgrade, and it was a walk in the park.

I'm gonna go with what's in the box. Probably TMI but I'm not working due to an illness and don't have any spare cash to buy anything different. The tools are gonna have to be purchased, though.

Again this is going to be your biggest speed bump along with routing the intercooler pipes if you have an air to air setup.

If it came with a pump by itself you'll need to dismount the stock pump from the hat and connect the DW pump into the stock hat. If it came as an assembly, like the Walbro TU281hp, it would make the install easier for you.

No intercooler. I bought the non-intercooled kit due to budget. I wanted a Roush kit but couldn't afford it. I can add a smaller pulley and intercooler when I'm working again.

I haven't opened the box containing the fuel pump so I don't know.

I'm off to to tool hunt this afternoon.

Thanks again guys. You're good people on here. I'm grateful for you guys sharing your expertise.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bill,

I've never replaced a fuel pump in my entire life. I have the complete service manual. My kid who is a diesel mechanic was supposed to help but he backed out for some reason. My other son, who is an electrician will be helping me.
I usually don't give (Advise) on this INTERNET Site but in this situation I will since I know you from another Mustang INTERNET Site.

Stop !!!

Take the Mustang to either a Performance Shop or a Shop that knows how to install a S/C and has experience in doing so and can

Prove They Have Done It Before.

Terry

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Bill,

I usually don't give (Advise) on this INTERNET Site but in this situation I will since I know you from another Mustang INTERNET Site.

Stop !!!

Take the Mustang to either a Performance Shop or a Shop that knows how to install a S/C and has experience in doing so and can

Prove They Have Done It Before.

Terry

I don't have the financial means to do that, Terry. It's either install it, sell it, or let it sit in the box.
My financial future will not be changing in the foreseeable future, either. I'm off work due to an illness and will most likely be on permanent disability. Off topic but I don't want that but it's the reality I have to deal with and accept.
This is a long, unfulfilled dream and I'll be damned if it's not gonna happen. I have the blower and it's going in, period. I saved for it for 3 years.
I have basic mechanical skills and my other son is very mechanical, intelligent and patient. We can we read directions. I have the the blower install CD, the instructions from Brenspeed and Chase said I could call him anytime if I get stuck. It's nuts, bolts, and a little cutting. It's not the H.O. blower with the intercooler so I don't have to do deal with that.
I appreciate your advice but this blower is going in. When I'm determined to do something, it gets done.
I'll post up a vid or pics of me wasting a set of tires when it's done.
And now I have every tool on the list except for one and that one is on its way from Summit.

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have the financial means to do that, Terry. It's either install it, sell it, or let it sit in the box.
My financial future will not be changing in the foreseeable future, either. I'm off work due to an illness and will most likely be on permanent disability. Off topic but I don't want that but it's the reality I have to deal with and accept.
This is a long, unfulfilled dream and I'll be damned if it's not gonna happen. I have the blower and it's going in, period. I saved for it for 3 years.
I have basic mechanical skills and my other son is very mechanical, intelligent and patient. We can we read directions. I have the the blower install CD, the instructions from Brenspeed and Chase said I could call him anytime if I get stuck. It's nuts, bolts, and a little cutting. It's not the H.O. blower with the intercooler so I don't have to do deal with that.
I appreciate your advice but this blower is going in. When I'm determined to do something, it gets done.
I'll post up a vid or pics of me wasting a set of tires when it's done.
And now I have every tool on the list except for one and that one is on its way from Summit.
Bill,

I read you buddy one has to do what (One has to do).

Good-Luck with the install .............

Terry

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Go slow, come back for help here as often as you need to, this is not complicated. If you can dodge a ball, you can dodge a wrench.

46addict

Reaction score
If this is not an intercooled kit, the install becomes much simpler. I installed my intercooled Procharger kit in my driveway with no previous experience doing such a thing and I finished it in a weekend. The money you save on labor can go towards supporting mods.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The non-intercooled kit is real easy. Did you buy it new or used? The fuel pump shouldn't be necessary with a non-intercooled and I'm just not aware of a fuel pump being supplied with the non-intercooled kit but I haven't put one on since 2011 or so.

I think the stepless clamp pliers are for the stock radiator hose clamps. If so then Channel locks will work.

This is a very easy install. You are bolting some stuff to the front of the car, that's about it.

Take your time, follow the directions and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Did it come with a tune or are you having someone tune it?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back