tr3650 squeak

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
I narrowed down my squeaking noise on the shifter and its coming from the part circled in red. When I grab the block, I can move it side to side and it would squeak. Is it normal for that block to have movement? I tried taking the bolt off but that bolt is pretty tight! scared of breaking it so I figured I'd ask and see if anyone here had dealt with it before.

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
I would try removing the side bolt and see if you're squeaking noise is still there, my guess would be that is where it's coming from, maybe just a little lube needed in the bushing. Yes that block needs to move.

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
I took my shifter assembly out and also disconnected the shift linkage from the trans. Its definitely coming from the block with the bolt on top. I smeared some lube around the shaft where it hooks into and wiggled the block side to side hoping to get some grease in there, still squeaks. I wish it was just the bushings making the squeak but its all quiet on that side.

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
I took my shifter assembly out and also disconnected the shift linkage from the trans. Its definitely coming from the block with the bolt on top. I smeared some lube around the shaft where it hooks into and wiggled the block side to side hoping to get some grease in there, still squeaks. I wish it was just the bushings making the squeak but its all quiet on that side.

So do you think it coming from the block or the shaft that goes into the transmission?

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely from the block, I'm thinking maybe there's some rust inside the block where the bolt goes through the shaft making it squeak when it moves. You think it will be alright if I put some flame on the block to loosen the top bolt? that bolt is pretty tight when I tried loosening it.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
edit-
I just took the one off a spare 3650 out in the shop. That bolt is a pivot pin and it's only threaded for about 1/2" at the top of the bolt. There's a plastic bushing inside so NO HEAT!

Photo will be uploaded momentarily

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Here's the critter-

IMG_2399.jpg

Once you get it off you can slather it with grease and reassemble.

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Nice pic skwerl!! and thanks for the advice on no heat! soaking it with some pb now and give it another go at it.

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
Just an FYI; according to the service manual you need to torque to 30ft-lbs when reinstalling.

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. 30ft-lbs torque noted. Now I see why that bolt is freaking tight, probably has locktite too.

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Squeak fixed and gone! that bolt is a pita, soaked it with pb blaster for a couple of days and it would only turn a hair and then stop. Ordered some kano kroil which I got today and put 5 drops around the bolt then waited 10 mins and the bolt came right out! :beerchug2:

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
Squeak fixed and gone! that bolt is a pita, soaked it with pb blaster for a couple of days and it would only turn a hair and then stop. Ordered some kano kroil which I got today and put 5 drops around the bolt then waited 10 mins and the bolt came right out! :beerchug2:

Love that stuff!

Donato

Reaction score
Hey guys. I wanted to know what the name of the piece circled in red is called I’m looking for one for my transmission. Hopefully you guys can help.

Back