TR6060 install, reverse solenoid solutions

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I'm finally doing the mega install of all my stuff.

For those that have upgraded to an 6060 what did you do to wire the reverse solenoid? what other options are available that you know of? in the GT500 does it uses a special pin out of the PCM?

thanks beforehand.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
If your talking about the reverse lockout? I just didn't bother to wire it...It isn't that hard to push through the lockout anyways.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I'll try it before getting crazy with it but already found a way that I may make it work with the PCM using the IMRC control output.

If I choose to go this route will post results.

travelers

Reaction score
Ron, 94tbird had it wired to his clutch and brake so you had to have them both engaged to release it.

nycmikie1

forum member
Reaction score
I have a lighted factory looking on/off rocker switch mounted on top of my console put the switch in cause it don't make sense to force a $2500 dollar trans in rev and there is no way you can hit rev. going into 5th with your lock out hooked up...

Last edited:

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I've also heard of people removing the solenoid and putting a plug in the hole. I've thought about doing that as well.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a lighted factory looking on/off rocker switch mounted on top of my console put the switch in cause it don't make sense to force a $2500 dollar trans in rev and there is no way you can hit rev. going into 5th with your lock out hooked up...
The "crash through" feature that allows it to work without the solenoid hooked up is intentional and mentioned by tremec in their docs somewhere...

They designed it to work without the button, but required it to take more force so that it would not be done accidentally...

Powershifting the overdrive gears doesn't make sense anyway, so you should be slamming the shifter lever into 5th anyway...

It's not as "crazy" or "reckless" as it sounds to just leave it undone...

nycmikie1

forum member
Reaction score
First Live or Die from what I was told by Don over at D&D is Power Shifting and First to Second gear blowing the tires away why do it if the guy that builds and repairs them tells you that this is what Breaks these TR-6060 Transmissions.He also said as long as you keep the tires hooked up on launch and shift as fast as you can without POWER SHIFTING the Tremec will live just fine.So again why force the trans into REV. just not to add a rocker switch?????? It can be wired to the brake pedal when depressed or wired to clutch pedal but I don't like the clutch pedal idea as the REV gate is unlocked when your going to 5th. This transmission has this safety option built into it why not use it!
See when I spend 4Gs on a transmission conversion I do my home work and ask many questions and a man like Don knows what he is saying again they sell and build these units.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mine is, as stated above, wiredi nto clutch and brake. both must be used to shift to reverse

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First Live or Die from what I was told by Don over at D&D is Power Shifting and First to Second
hooked up on launch and shift as fast as you can without POWER SHIFTING the Tremec will live just fine.So again why force the trans into REV. just not to add a rocker switch??????
What does powershifting 1-2 have to do with reverse?:idea:

Powershifting without modifications to the synchros (i.e. having them cut for "proshifting" which removes many of the teeth) is indeed going to kill these things (or pretty much any street manual for that matter)...

nycmikie1

forum member
Reaction score
What does powershifting 1-2 have to do with reverse?:idea:

Powershifting without modifications to the synchros (i.e. having them cut for "proshifting" which removes many of the teeth) is indeed going to kill these things (or pretty much any street manual for that matter)...
Well simple it is called free information for the people that don't know any better you started saying something about power shifiting 5th (OVERDRIVE gears)
But the long of the short here is hook the REV. wire up on a street car SIMPLE :wow: If you think you know better don't bother with it. I am done with this post LATER

Last edited:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well simple it is called free information for the people that don't know any better you started saying something about power shifiting 5th (OVERDRIVE gears)
Which you evidently couldn't be bothered to read correctly - I said you WOULD NOT power shift overdrive gears (even if you did powershift the lower gears) and as such you shouldn't be mashing the gear shift lever into 5th which means you won't overcome the force required to prevent an accidentally shift into R instead of 5th... (and you wouldn't apply the required "side-force" either...

nycmikei1 said:
But the long of the short here is hook the REV. wire up on a street car SIMPLE :wow: If you think you know better don't bother with it. I am done with this post LATER
Wow, zero to asshole in less than a second - relax dude - its ok... Was not trying to insult you or your approach - if you want to wire it up - feel free... Just pointing out that it is designed to allow you to operate without it (per Tremec). You just have to push sideways a bit harder, so no butter-like shifting into R...

I am quoting tremec literature here (well most recently someone else quoting tremec -carcraft as I recall - sorry don't have a good link - you can search for it if you like):

"If it is not desired to enable the solenoid, the Neutral to Reverse shift can still be completed at the vehicle speeds less than 5 mph by overriding the lockout assembly with the emergency "crash-through" feature. The lockout assembly plunger is spring-loaded and a high side effort on the shift lever compress the spring, overcoming the lockout"

Last edited:

Bigjht

Reaction score
I know it's not the same but when I installed a T56 in my 99 GT I wired the reverse lockout to a stock convertible switch I got out of a wrecked car and installed it in the empty slot where it would go if the car was a convertible. It went very well with the interior and didn't look out of place. When I think about it though on the S197 I don't know where the convertible top switch is so I'm not sure if it would work the same or not, just another option though.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know it's not the same but when I installed a T56 in my 99 GT I wired the reverse lockout to a stock convertible switch I got out of a wrecked car and installed it in the empty slot where it would go if the car was a convertible. It went very well with the interior and didn't look out of place. When I think about it though on the S197 I don't know where the convertible top switch is so I'm not sure if it would work the same or not, just another option though.
switch is on the dome-light plate over the mirror - not so good...

nycmikie1

forum member
Reaction score
Which you evidently couldn't be bothered to read correctly - I said you WOULD NOT power shift overdrive gears (even if you did powershift the lower gears) and as such you shouldn't be mashing the gear shift lever into 5th which means you won't overcome the force required to prevent an accidentally shift into R instead of 5th... (and you wouldn't apply the required "side-force" either...

Wow, zero to asshole in less than a second - relax dude - its ok... Was not trying to insult you or your approach - if you want to wire it up - feel free... Just pointing out that it is designed to allow you to operate without it (per Tremec). You just have to push sideways a bit harder, so no butter-like shifting into R...

I am quoting tremec literature here (well most recently someone else quoting tremec -carcraft as I recall - sorry don't have a good link - you can search for it if you like):

"If it is not desired to enable the solenoid, the Neutral to Reverse shift can still be completed at the vehicle speeds less than 5 mph by overriding the lockout assembly with the emergency "crash-through" feature. The lockout assembly plunger is spring-loaded and a high side effort on the shift lever compress the spring, overcoming the lockout"
SEE ASSWIPE THATS THE PROBLEM CARCRAFT MAGS
that is why you think you know shit and you don't!!!!!!
ZEROOOOOOOOOOO HANDS ON OTHER THEN YOURSELF
AHHHHHHHHH NO PROBLEM HERE RIGHT GUY WE ARE STILL FRIENDS RIGHT ???????? We Are Ford Brothers

Last edited:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SEE ASSWIPE THATS THE PROBLEM CARCRAFT MAGS
that is why you think you know shit and you don't!!!!!!
ZEROOOOOOOOOOO HANDS ON OTHER THEN YOURSELF
AHHHHHHHHH NO PROBLEM HERE RIGHT GUY WE ARE STILL FRIENDS RIGHT ???????? We Are Ford Brothers
Mike, calm down, it's ok... There's no need to break your keyboard or spit at your screen:beerdrink:

I've got plenty of hands on - I've been tearing apart cars (and putting them back together:thumb: most of the time) for 20 years...

I've rebuilt older tremecs (not this one - yet), but I know my way around a transmission, engine, etc... I've installed the 6060 in my 05 (though now I've replaced it with a T56 and the 6060 is going into the Vert eventually (been side-lined by a back injury, but that's another story).

I've seen that in tremec's docs directly - that was just the most recent place I had seen it in case you wanted to search it for yourself rather than taking my word for it...

The wording in the carcraft article is taken almost/if not verbatim from the tremec docs, I just couldn't find a linkable reference for you.

There's nothing wrong with wiring it up, but frankly if you don't might pushing sideways a little harder, there's nothing wrong with not wiring it up - that's why they put the spring there...

I put the trans in, fired the car up and drove it (and raced it), had no issues with reverse, had read the tremec description I quoted before hand and decided to spend my wiring time elsewhere...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back