transmission fluid mt6

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Go to the BG website - there's a "finder" there that will give you a list of local dealers. Just phone around until you find one that has it. I got mine from a VW dealer.

Five Ohh

Reaction score
Go to the BG website - there's a "finder" there that will give you a list of local dealers. Just phone around until you find one that has it. I got mine from a VW dealer.
Thanks! Found a Chevy dealer 5 min down the road that uses BG Syncromesh II

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
Not exactly a lack of confidence...

It's Amsoil's legal team not wanting any part in the MT-82 higher failure rate. The transmissions are experiencing internal failuires no matter what fluid is used in them. Amsoil wants no part in that. The recommendation lists were just recently updated.
So what about the guys who started running it when it was still recommended? That puts us in sh1t creek.

Lewis26

Reaction score
So what about the guys who started running it when it was still recommended? That puts us in sh1t creek.

Do you really think a tech is going to drain the fluid, take a sample, send the sample out to Blackstone, wait for results, etc?

No, he's gonna drain it into his bulk oil container at the dealership and call it a day.

People are freaking out wayyyyy too much about warranty problems with trans oil.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score

I believe it's all about Amsoil not wanting to get into a long legal battle with Ford. From what I've experienced MTG is a superior oil compared to either of the 2 Ford oils.

Last edited:

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
I'm still having the grinding issue in 5th when it's cold even after the tsb lube change. Not sure if I should switch to a different lube myself at this time or take it back to ford. I was leaning towards the BG synchro shift II if I do change it. If that doesn't fix it though I think taking it back should probably be the next step.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
I believe it's all about Amsoil not wanting to get into a long legal battle with Ford. From what I've experienced MTG is a superior oil compared to either of the 2 Ford oils.

Correct

After the fiasco with the NHTSA report. It appears Amsoil removed their "legal binding" recommendation to avoid the impending failures and battles with Ford and the NHTSA.

No matter, I would use MTG or MTF in my MT-82, if I owned one. No sleep would be lost, as it's far superior to the factory OEM and TSB fills.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
Do you really think a tech is going to drain the fluid, take a sample, send the sample out to Blackstone, wait for results, etc?

No, he's gonna drain it into his bulk oil container at the dealership and call it a day.

People are freaking out wayyyyy too much about warranty problems with trans oil.

After having the transmission replaced once already there's nothing saying that they won't take more in depth measures to try and figure out exactly what's going on if I ever have to take it in again.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Correct

After the fiasco with the NHTSA report. It appears Amsoil removed their "legal binding" recommendation to avoid the impending failures and battles with Ford and the NHTSA.

No matter, I would use MTG or MTF in my MT-82, if I owned one. No sleep would be lost, as it's far superior to the factory OEM and TSB fills.

I can't help but wonder if the Ford legal team sent AMSOIL a nasty-gram telling them to take the recommendation down or face a lawsuit. I'm really in a pickle now that AMSOIL isn't standing behind their fluid in the event of a failure. I have every reason to suspect that Ford would do their best to pin this on me if there were a failure, and I wonder how long I would be prolonging the life of an already grinding transmission by putting better fluid in it. I'd say my powertrain warranty is probably toast due to my mods, so I guess I'll start saving up for a T-56 Magnum swap.

I'm not debating that AMSOIL MTG is a quality fluid, but it is disconcerting to me that they have removed it as a recommended product. This was a huge part in my decision making process and now I'm back to re-evaluate my options. I suppose I could take it in for the TSB fluid but I'm not sure they would even do it after seeing my mods and I don't really have the ability to pull them all off, return to stock and reinstall them.

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if the Ford legal team sent AMSOIL a nasty-gram telling them to take the recommendation down or face a lawsuit. I'm really in a pickle now that AMSOIL isn't standing behind their fluid in the event of a failure. I have every reason to suspect that Ford would do their best to pin this on me if there were a failure, and I wonder how long I would be prolonging the life of an already grinding transmission by putting better fluid in it. I'd say my powertrain warranty is probably toast due to my mods, so I guess I'll start saving up for a T-56 Magnum swap.

I'm not debating that AMSOIL MTG is a quality fluid, but it is disconcerting to me that they have removed it as a recommended product. This was a huge part in my decision making process and now I'm back to re-evaluate my options. I suppose I could take it in for the TSB fluid but I'm not sure they would even do it after seeing my mods and I don't really have the ability to pull them all off, return to stock and reinstall them.

I'm the type of guy who would provide evidence of purchasing and installing the fluid during the time of their recommendation and tell AMSOIL tough shit they are still warranting my transmission.

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score

Yeah guys really...learning how to beat the system requires knowing how other people think. Stop living in fear!

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
I'm the type of guy who would provide evidence of purchasing and installing the fluid during the time of their recommendation and tell AMSOIL tough shit they are still warranting my transmission.

Unfortunately, I haven't bought it yet so I have no such proof. It just really makes you wonder when you see someone backpedal on standing behind their products. Maybe it was Ford being a giant about it, maybe AMSOIL found something bad in internal testing. It's tough to guess WHY they pulled their endorsement of the MTG for the MT82, and if it was Ford, that went to the trouble of giving them a hard time about it, who's to say they wouldn't be analyzing the fluid in the event of a transmission failure. Not that long ago, most of us found it hard to believe that they would sent the ECU off for analysis to determine if it was tuned, but that's accepted as fact now.

I'm not trying to spread a bunch of FUD, but it does seem that Ford is investing some very real time and effort into denying warranty claims for modified vehicles. If AMSOIL states that they carry no product suitable for use in the MT82 and you are running MTG at the time of a transmission failure then it seems reasonable to believe that Ford could use this as evidence to (attempt to) deny your warranty claim.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
I'm not worried about Amsoil pulling their recommendation.

Guys made fun of me for using less than 5W-50 in my GT500 a year ago, I'm currently using 10W-30. Now, I have most of them using Amsoil 10W-40 and some using 10W-30 like I am.

Amsoil has no recommendation for the GT500 either, but so far....has been returning the best UOAs to date.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about Amsoil pulling their recommendation.

Guys made fun of me for using less than 5W-50 in my GT500 a year ago, I'm currently using 10W-30. Now, I have most of them using Amsoil 10W-40 and some using 10W-30 like I am.

Amsoil has no recommendation for the GT500 either, but so far....has been returning the best UOAs to date.

Are you not worried about it because you're still confident that it's a superior fluid than stock or because you have the cash to pay for a new transmission if yours goes out? I agree with you 100% on the former, but recent moves by Ford has made me very leery of the latter, especially combines with the less than stellar record of the MT82. I do not have the cash on hand to replace my transmission immediately if it goes out ... back to my original point ... time to start saving for a Tremec.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Are you not worried about it because you're still confident that it's a superior fluid than stock or because you have the cash to pay for a new transmission if yours goes out? I agree with you 100% on the former, but recent moves by Ford has made me very leery of the latter, especially combines with the less than stellar record of the MT82. I do not have the cash on hand to replace my transmission immediately if it goes out ... back to my original point ... time to start saving for a Tremec.

No sir, I guarantee you that I do not have the cash to replace a transmission or the engine in my car. That's why I perform testing with oil analysis to tell me what's going on inside.

You can do one on your MT-82 as well.

UOA test kit

I've done so many UOAs, I know two things to be true about Amsoil.

1. Despite what Mobil 1 users want you to believe, Amsoil destroys it in performance.

2. I have so much confidence in their product, I refuse to use ANYTHING else in everything that requires lubrication. Even my lawn mowers receive annual winter storage oil changes with Amsoil.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
No sir, I guarantee you that I do not have the cash to replace a transmission or the engine in my car. That's why I perform testing with oil analysis to tell me what's going on inside.

You can do one on your MT-82 as well.

UOA test kit

I've done so many UOAs, I know two things to be true about Amsoil.

1. Despite what Mobil 1 users want you to believe, Amsoil destroys it in performance.

2. I have so much confidence in their product, I refuse to use ANYTHING else in everything that requires lubrication. Even my lawn mowers receive annual winter storage oil changes with Amsoil.

Agreed on all counts. I think I should have been more clear, I am concerned about the MT82 failing for other reasons (namely poor design and being under-rated for the application) and Ford refusing to cover it due to an out-of-spec fluid. I am not concerned whatsoever about the MTG actually causing the failure ... I just massively distrust Ford (or any large corporation for that matter).

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Agreed on all counts. I think I should have been more clear, I am concerned about the MT82 failing for other reasons (namely poor design and being under-rated for the application) and Ford refusing to cover it due to an out-of-spec fluid. I am not concerned whatsoever about the MTG actually causing the failure ... I just massively distrust Ford (or any large corporation for that matter).

T56 Magnum....FTW!!! :thumb:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back