truetrac install FYI

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
well learned today that if you purchase the detroit truetrac, the instructions are kinda vague for the spacer, it says to use the spacer with the grove( well they both have a grove, WTF?). I called eaton. they said you want to use the axle spacer that is 21.3x mm and has the deeper groove. while the other spacer which is 22.3x mm. on 05 and up mustang rearends, the larger space should not fit, and if it does fit, it doesn't leave the correct spacing on the axles (they actually both fit in mine). you want a total of .020-.025 per side of axle play. the spacer with the deeper groove is the correct one.

took it for a spin after I got it all installed. feels much better from going from 3.73's to the 3.31's, I now have a 1'st gear that is halfway useful.

the one on the right is correct:
2013-12-13142356_zpsd4d5b857.jpg

zero'ed out:
2013-12-13143951_zpsc66b5bc9.jpg

axle play spacing, this is both axles moved .0455, right in spec:
df862f3b-9efb-49fb-85a6-39800c657f93_zps1da54e3d.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I still have the second spacer in the kitchen junk drawer. I can't seem to throw it away but have absolutely no use for it.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Mr Anderson u still have the mt82? I'm actually going back n forth with what I want to do with my car. My original plans were to go with the magnum but I have the d/s, clutch, flywheel etc for the mt82 plus its still working flawlessly. I have 3.73s n they r worthless. The only reason I've been keeping them is because the thoughts of going with the magnum. U like the difference going from the 3.73 to the 3:31 with this trans?

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
yup, still, running the getrag. I will eventually change over to a tko600 package one day, but for now I plan on keeping it the way it is(I have upgraded everything else other than the transmission(rxt clutch, billet steel flywheel,MGW shifter, & 1 piece ds), with the 3.31's it is a really nice upgrade and actually start in first gear and not second. unless I break the transmission I don't plan on changing it out anytime soon. I even contemplated going with 3.08's or 3.15's, maybe in the future when I up t the boost and push 8-900hp.

Last edited:

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm gonna do the same. I have all the trans upgrades possible for this trans I might as well stay with it. I'm upgrading the motor now n upping the boost. U know all too well with the 3.73s first is just retarded. Its like over in .3 seconds n traction is zip. Thanks for the input.

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
yes, it definately is worth doing, now that I have it, I wish I would have done it sooner. It's nice not having to push the clutch in right after letting it out when I use first, heck it's nice not starting out in second gear.

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I have a truetrac planed for my car.

Last edited:

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
Strongest positrac that rides nice! Bare none!!

Yep i agree! I'm building my 8.8 with all Strange parts other than the posi/ls chunk going true trac it served me well on the 22 psi 900 rwhp paxton 3 valve i had..
This time I'm going to take it one step further with Stange C clip eliminators but im doing the street / strip version so it keeps the ABS.. Basically as strong as i can make it and keep ABS / tone rings.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back