Rear ABS sensor

Windstang

Reaction score
The other day I tried to replace my rear axle bearing (a story in in itself). During the process I managed to smack the ABS sensor with a hammer and cracked it. Of course that was enough to damage it and after taking the car out for a run, I got the ABS light. Ordered a replacement from Rock Auto and it came quickly. Looked like a well made replacement with all the correct components. Put it in and it fit like a glove - but still had the alarm. Now what? I looked around on Youtube and forums to see if perhaps the ABS light needed to be manually reset somehow. Some said to disconnect the battery, short the terminals and the modules would be reset to factory conditions (and re-learn procedures would be required). Left it shorted overnight, tried it in the morning and the ABS light was still on. Took it to an Autoparts store to see if they could reset the ABS alarm with a scan tool - Nope - "those scan tools are too $$ for them to have and I should probably go to the dealer". Rats! I looked around on Youtube so see what else I could do and see others had some issues with replacement sensors. So I went to a wrecker and got a sensor from. I figured the sensor probably would be functional in the wrecked car. Got home, installed the salvaged sensor and it worked - ABS light went out! Success. So resetting the ABS light doesn't require a manual reset procedure.
Troubleshooting time! I used an ohmmeter to check the RA sensor and compared it to the salvaged one. The readings were reversed. The connector is polarity keyed. From the left to right pins, the reading was 15Mohms and 0 ohms on the right to left pins. The readings were reversed between the two sensors. Then I pulled the rubber grommet back from the connector end - 2 wires (black and white) and again - reversed between the sensors. I suspect that if I cut the 2 wires on the RA sensor, reversed them and re-soldered, the sensor would work. (I'll try that once I get a refund from RA if they don't want the sensor back).
Anyway - I'm posting this so if anyone else has an issue with replacement ABS sensors, rather than giving up and taking it to a shop to fix (more $$), you could try reversing the 2 wires. Also a good check if the replacement doesn't work - compare the wires with the defective sensor and see if the black and white wires match. A video I watched says his Ford sensors didn't work, but the Chinese ones did work. However the RA sensor I got was made in China but it didn't work. Seems like someone at some factory somewhere isn't following the assembly instructions very well and is reversing the connector wiring. In many places, after buying an electrical component, they won't refund if it doesn't work since it is an electrical part and plugging it in could fry it - so you'd be SOL and buying another could have the same issue. Reversing the wires would be worth a try in this case. I hope this helps someone.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Well for sure the Brembo ABS sensors are different then the standard sensors of at least the 2014 Mustang GT. It also looks like the convertible sensors are different. My take is the Brembos are different because of the 14 inch brakes in the front and standard brakes in the back. I replace my standard brakes with 2012/2014 GT 500's all the way around. The standard sensors work fine as the balance has not changed from standard.

IM8.JPG

Windstang

Reaction score
Confirmed! I took the Bad Rockauto sensor and reversed the wires (cut and soldered) and re-installed and it works. So if anyone else has concerns about a new sensor not working, use an ohm meter and compare the new to a working one (as per above) and try reversing the wires. Worked for me .- now I have a spare.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back