Turbo Air To Water Intercooler OR How I gave Myself A Headache!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jeremy, you're seeing 10 rise in inlets at 18 psi?
Pump not coming on won't kill anything. Took me 3-5 pulls without my pump before the inlets rose 30 deg at 20psi. Some drag cars don't run pumps at all.

16psi didnt look this last time when I up'd the boost to 18. I have a 4.5" core bar and plate.

The blower type is not why a/w need heat exchangers though. It's because they are mounted in the intake,....so it's in the engine soaking up the heat which gets it hot, not really the air passin thru them.

While this is a factor as well, on a screw blower even when cruising and bypassing the air is still compressing in the blades and creating heat.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
4.5 is pretty thick. What are they when you add ice? ;) 10 deg is pretty damn impressive on 16 psi. Is it 18 or 24 long? dyno pull or 1/4 ?
Moving the air thru a bypass won't heat the air for that blower anymore than a centri with a bypass open. Bypassing relieves pressure, the pressure is what causes the heat. But even if it did make noticable heat, it would have to be hotter than the engine to put heat into the cooler. On average 180 engine temps, you definetly have hard into boost to see those blower outlet temps.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a good size but nothing crazy, fits nicely, any thicker and you would have to modify the bumper. I'm pretty happy with it for a $180 intercooler. On the dyno, iat sensor is in the maf still blow thru setup. Here are some pics.

Image09292012103126.jpg

20121004_161738.jpg

For a roots blower yes its not as bad, but for a twin screw blower no. The air is compressed in between the vanes on the screws so even when the bypass is open before the intercooler those scews are always compressing air and just soaking up that heat from the air compressing. I know I can romp on my car and come to idle and the turbo compressor cover will cool quickly, where a belt driven centri setups will just stay hot. Greg's ysi setup which I have done alot of work on just stays crazy hot even at idle as spinning much faster than a turbo. Temps are lower and recover much faster with a turbo.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back