Turbo Saleen S281

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely get rid of those cats man. Im not turbo'd but from all the researching I've done on the subject I've saw several threads about cats getting blown out, clogging up and destroying the motor (even built motors).
I don't think your car will sound bad without them. There's actually a thread on here the rford, fuel and jodade posted some videos in of straight pipes/open down pipe on their turbo cars. It will give you a good idea of what it will sound like. Let me see if I can find it.

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah NO WAY would I think about running cats with FI! I've read to many threads over the past year that ended in a ton of extra $$$ being flushed down the toilet due to a clogged cat.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Don't even consider cats unless for emissions and only for 30seconds and thats if you plan on not going into boost at all while the cats are on there. I'm not sure if the cats will mess up your tune, but most likely the cats won't be turned on anyways and you'd fail emissions. I haven't looked into it too much because with my PowerHouse kit there really isn't a place for a cat now, because I have a QTP electric cutout on my car.

I have borla stingers and then the QTP when I want to hear the turbo whistle/track days. My car was louder with an O/R X & Stingers than it is now with just the Borla. The turbo muffles it a lot. Search jodadej on youtube and you'll find plenty of videos of my car running.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help guys, so should I just punch them out or get new pipes?

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Don't even consider cats unless for emissions and only for 30seconds and thats if you plan on not going into boost at all while the cats are on there. I'm not sure if the cats will mess up your tune, but most likely the cats won't be turned on anyways and you'd fail emissions. I haven't looked into it too much because with my PowerHouse kit there really isn't a place for a cat now, because I have a QTP electric cutout on my car.

I have borla stingers and then the QTP when I want to hear the turbo whistle/track days. My car was louder with an O/R X & Stingers than it is now with just the Borla. The turbo muffles it a lot. Search jodadej on youtube and you'll find plenty of videos of my car running.

Nice, I already saw your vids a while back, thanks! I'm hoping it sounds nice with my Saleen/magnaflow quad exit exhaust and a hpipe. I just need to decide if I'm going to gut them or replace them completely.

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
What did you have done to your car to beat stock RS3s, srt8 chargers, and ss camaros?

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Stock Saleen n/a stuff and c&l cai, bassani h pipe, Hurst shifter, custom TSS SCT tune, Nitto 555r Dr's, 3.73 gears and the driver mod, lol.Roush was a bone stock 09 model, SRT8 was my wife's 07, and the SS was a 2010 6spd, which is my brothers. My first time out at the track was a 13.22 with the stock slipping clutch, 1.82 short time.

keoni1984

Homicidal
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help guys, so should I just punch them out or get new pipes?

Man, cats can be pretty pricey. I would keep them in case you do need 'em (for emissions or inspection) and just get a new set of pipes. I don't have to do emissions or inspection where I live and I kept them anyway (for future moves, returning to stock, or whatever).

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Man, cats can be pretty pricey. I would keep them in case you do need 'em (for emissions or inspection) and just get a new set of pipes. I don't have to do emissions or inspection where I live and I kept them anyway (for future moves, returning to stock, or whatever).

Thats what I'm thinking, the cats came with the turbo kit, so I'm sure they wont be cheap to replace. I might just have new pipe fabbed up, my tuner says I should be ok to run the cats, that its usually not a problem unless the tune is way off which might clog the cats. Im leaning more on just replacing them with a o/r pipes.

keoni1984

Homicidal
Reaction score
Yeah, just replace them. The less restriction in your exhaust, the better. Faster spool time and more power to be had with the turbo.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, hopefully a month from now I'll bed reporting back with good news on my turbo install.

Keoni-nice ride!

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Oh and another thought, I'm assuming you have cats pre turbo. If your cat does decide to clog not only are you going to probably take your motor, but you'd take out your turbo as well. Big problem with the old 2.0 WRX having cat pre turbo.

One more thing, if you ever decide to do a WOT box for the track and flat foot shifting cats are def a no no. The 2-step is very bad news for the cat.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back