um, switch to twin turbos? What do you think?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think these twins can make more power than I have fuel system for. I have the GT 500 pumps
What can I do to get more from them...Wiring upgrade? What else. Wonder how much they will really support. It should be more on the T/T. I was at 90 duty cycle turning the Saleen to 500/500 through an auto.
Dual BAP for where you are headed. Do the wires too.

mwilkes

cheesewhiz
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...I see what I think is an oil pump on that car? (attached to the rear of the transmission) to pump the oil back to the pan....

Yes, that's an oil pump mounted to the transmission mount.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat with the fuel system Joe. I will wait and see how the numbers turn out before I try anything else with the fuel. I have done the wire upgrade and the only thing else to do is add the dual boost a pump and a bigger line going up front.

With the cost of this system I thought it was dumb not to go ahead and get the BB upgrade, the more I have researched BB turbo’s the happier I am with the decision.

Earl

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ditch the GT500 Pumps for Dual GT supercar pumps and upgrade the internal lines, and run dual feeds out of the pump housing and Y them into a single larger feed.

Thats what we are doing with mine!

GI Joe

Reaction score
Ditch the GT500 Pumps for Dual GT supercar pumps and upgrade the internal lines, and run dual feeds out of the pump housing and Y them into a single larger feed.
Josh I remember reading a post on that about a year ago I think. Is it a straight swap on the pumps..just swap them out within the same basket?
Is there a thread on this with further explanation?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ill be using PMP's Fuel system as well in my build

GI Joe

Reaction score
OK lets say we put these twins on the car...what would be the optimum size rear gears using the twin 57 mm with the quicker spooling ball bearing turbos.

GI Joe

Reaction score
also I'm still stuck on whether I need to put the T/T on or just a single. I guess there is such a thing as too much power. I dont need 800rwhp. I probably do need 650 to meet my goal of 9.90's.
Maybe the 76 single would be a better choice.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Joe if you will street drive the car you will be much better off with the twins. Mark can jump in here, as he has been there, with a single at those power levels you start running into inlet temp problems for a street driver.

For what you will be doing I think the perfect rear gear is 3.55 for the twins. I have 3.73 but will be running a 28 inch tire and I may go to 3.55, I’ll have to see how everything works out. The taller gear loads the turbo much better on launch and creates boost much faster.

Earl

Last edited:

GI Joe

Reaction score
Joe if you will street drive the car you will be much better of with the twins. Mark can jump in here, as he has been there, with a single at those power levels you start running into inlet temp problems for a street driver.

For what you will be doing I think the perfect rear gear is 3.55 for the twins. I have 3.73 but will be running a 28 inch tire and I may go to 3.55, I’ll have to see how everything works out. The taller gear loads the turbo much better on launch and creates boost much faster.

Earl

Well here is the deal on my tires...I have 28.8" tires for the street (yes 28.8") and 28" for the track. I have moderately ported heads and a 3200 stall on the converter.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
go twins theres more of a WOW factor whe nthe hood is popped

Greg@RET

Mad Torque Inc.
Reaction score
If you want to keep it a street car you cant go wrong with twins. My twin 57 kit spools up almost instantly when driving. Also pound for pound the twin kit will always make more power.

If its a race car a single will work fine, but you will need brakes and a 2 step if you want to compete.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well here is the deal on my tires...I have 28.8" tires for the street (yes 28.8") and 28" for the track. I have moderately ported heads and a 3200 stall on the converter.
Less of an issue with an auto, but still an issue if you are talking about 750+ tall tires are going to help your rear-end into the afterlife...

GI Joe

Reaction score
If you want to keep it a street car you cant go wrong with twins. My twin 57 kit spools up almost instantly when driving. Also pound for pound the twin kit will always make more power.

If its a race car a single will work fine, but you will need brakes and a 2 step if you want to compete.
Greg I have a question...thanks for your input. Not walking on Ryans thread ( the poster ) with all the questions because actually he and I are doing this together and talking frequently...so thanks for your input...Here's the question.
To run 9.90'2 I think I'll need another 100 hp from where I was. Lets say 150 to be safe depending on the power curves. So 650 rwhp. I need to make sure the fuel is there. We both have the GT500 pumps. Where do we go from there without re-inventing the wheel. We were thinking Ford GT pumps, the existing basket and dual driver moduls stay, increase the line size going forward and rails or is it even needed.
I know you run the dual BAP...been down that road afew years back. Whats the other options you like...if anything is even need at all.

GI Joe

Reaction score
Less of an issue with an auto, but still an issue if you are talking about 750+ tall tires are going to help your rear-end into the afterlife...

I think I have the rear end is covered...should be no problem.
The spyder shaft may not hold up though with the smaller U joints.

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
I honestly dont think you need twin's , Everyone in here seems to love the twins for spool up what ever. Unless you have a 1500 hp race car you dont need twins. A good converter with the proper stall will have you leave the hole like a rocket, you might need to tune it down.

My car drives great on the street , doesn't seem to have any issues for spooling, as a matter of fact it sort of helps on the street b/c I dont destroy the tires when nailing the gas.

Most of my friends have 8 and 7 sec cars , and there all single Turbo's they dont seem to complain about spool time.
In my honest opinion twins on a street car is just a bling thing.

You'll make the same power with a single .

Pete

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back