um, switch to twin turbos? What do you think?

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
I am thinking of trading my Saleen SC for twin 57's from Turbohorsepower. You guys have any opinions pro or con?

Last edited:

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Why twins , you can make the same power with a single . They make a nice Single Kit also.

Don't get me wrong the twins look awesome , but in my opinion its overkill more money more weight , more that something can give you a problem . Relocate battery , and fuse box with harnesses.
The single kit with a 76MM can get you to 900 hp what else do you need?

Pete

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think if you wanted to make big ass power and were going to go with a turbo setup ( especially a twin turbo setup ) and if you had the time to let the car go for a while...call Manny at HPP in Lewisville Texas. Wouldn't even consider anyone else. They have designed kits for Terminators that make 800+ on pump gas, and have been just itching for a S197. He knows his shit.
Go over to gawds gift to the internet and read through their Terminator forum and you will find plenty of Nutthuggers for HPP's turbo kits.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Go over to gawds gift to the internet and read through their Terminator forum and you will find plenty of Nutthuggers for HPP's turbo kits.

Now that's funny shit right there! Good advice though. Somebody better do it before I call Manny myself.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Now that's funny shit right there! Good advice though. Somebody better do it before I call Manny myself.

I am getting my new PCM on Friday and will be going up there to do a retweak on my tune an put it back to closed loop. Fukkit.. meet me up there.

In all seriousness, they do know their shit. The shop car is running 8.0X's in the quarter in a true 10.5 class, and here is the MM&FF article they did on his daily driver. The numbers are low.. since the aritcle it has gone through a couple of "changes" and now puts down around 1200
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0705_2003_mustang_cobra/index.html

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man, if I could afford twins I would to.

I saw a car just this last weekend at the track with a single turbo--but it took a long time to spool up at the line. Wouldn't twins spool up faster so you could race the car if you wanted? The car I saw was definitely fast, but he had to sit at the line a good 6 seconds before leaving.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
My research tells me that the twin 57's spool really quick (full spool by 3000rpm) and are extremely efficient. My car will always be 99.9% street and running pump gas. They should easily and effortlessly give me 600rwhp on my shitty 91 pump gas with minimal timing. It seems the twins can give big power on pump gas without alot of PSI or strain. I would need a monster blower with a fully custom intake setup to achieve even 525rwhp. I am looking for some real world input and that is the reason for the thread. If anyone, like you retfr8flyr can give me real world information, it would be appreciated. The COOL factor doesn't hurt either!

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I am getting my new PCM on Friday and will be going up there to do a retweak on my tune an put it back to closed loop. Fukkit.. meet me up there.

In all seriousness, they do know their shit. The shop car is running 8.0X's in the quarter in a true 10.5 class, and here is the MM&FF article they did on his daily driver. The numbers are low.. since the aritcle it has gone through a couple of "changes" and now puts down around 1200
I saw the car at Ennis last year. Talked to Manny about it for a few minutes. Damn thing is impressive. Wild Bill should have his twin turbo Mach I done shortly and it is coming out of that shop as well. Damn this is tempting.

svt boost

Dr. Boost
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My research tells me that the twin 57's spool really quick (full spool by 3000rpm) and are extremely efficient. My car will always be 99.9% street and running pump gas. They should easily and effortlessly give me 600rwhp on my shitty 91 pump gas with minimal timing. It seems the twins can give big power on pump gas without alot of PSI or strain. I would need a monster blower with a fully custom intake setup to achieve even 525rwhp. I am looking for some real world input and that is the reason for the thread. If anyone, like you retfr8flyr can give me real world information, it would be appreciated. The COOL factor doesn't hurt either!

umm...you could run a kenne bell 2.8H easily to 600rwhp...call Adam at ST Motorsports he can hook you up.

it is also possible to hit near those numbers with a saleen, but you need the new machined snout from Saleen, with the ported blower (ie smaller than a 2.95 pulley like on the Extreme). sure would be cheaper.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your reasoning is exactly why I went with Twins. Unfortunately my build has taking on a life of its own. I am unable to give you any real world information as I can’t seem get this thing finished. I don’t think you can go wrong with Jim’s kit for a street driver at the HP levels we are shooting for. I know Mark is happy with his KB and doesn’t think much of turbos for the street but I think this kit will give you exactly what you’re looking for. I also like not worrying about belts and the ability to just dial the boost up or down if I want more or less power.

Earl

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Idk... Just personal opinion here based on cars I have seen. But most aftermarket turbo anything usually has heat management problems along with a mess of plumbing to deal with, etc.

Can't a saleen get into the high 500 hp range without too much work? Not sure. But I would imagine JDM or someone would know

mwilkes

cheesewhiz
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I drove Fastlane's twin turbo mustang (the turbos mount where the cats are so no heat issues) and that thing rolls on power like it's got a roots supercharger. It was AMAZING! It was totally manageable on asphalt and wet roads, but when you got into the gas, the car pulled so hard. If you are in Houston (or close) I definitely recommend checking out their shop.

That's why I'm selling my single turbo kit which is still pretty good, but not like Fastlane's twin kit.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your reasoning is exactly why I went with Twins. Unfortunately my build has taking on a life of its own. I am unable to give you any real world information as I can’t seem get this thing finished. I don’t think you can go wrong with Jim’s kit for a street driver at the HP levels we are shooting for. I know Mark is happy with his KB and doesn’t think much of turbos for the street but I think this kit will give you exactly what you’re looking for. I also like not worrying about belts and the ability to just dial the boost up or down if I want more or less power.

Earl

For the record - I am only down on big singles with big power on the street. I have always said twins are the way to go for 600+ street power. Believe me, if I wasn't working with adam and Jim Bell, my car would be at Manny's right now.:leghump:

I really like HPP's and the ONLY thing that stopped me was they haven't done an S197 yet and I got tired of being a guinne pig. Many top cobra builders have admitted the S197 kicked their butt in tuning cause it's so different. If they already had an S197 done making hat kind of power - I'd probably have my car there now...:shock:

GI Joe

Reaction score
You know, actually twins with all their plumbing are still lighter than the Saleen...no more belts, no more tensioner issues, less fuel consumption at given hp level....right or wrong I made my deposit today.....! BOOM

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You know, actually twins with all their plumbing are still lighter than the Saleen...no more belts, no more tensioner issues, less fuel consumption at given hp level....right or wrong I made my deposit today.....! BOOM
Congrats Joe!! I think you'll love it. Did you get any upgrades?

Earl

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet bro! I'm gonna put my money down too. The 57 Garrett's come with a cartrige bearing though. I think I may have to spend the extra for the ball bearing upgrade.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just getting started with my build after numerous and very long delays on all fronts for parts (engine, rear, trans, turbos - you name it - I seem to have an asterisk by my file).

However, the reasons given for twin turbos so far mirror why I went with Jim's kit. I want loads of torque and lots of HP... I want to spool fast on the street with reasonable boost (10-12lbs), then I want to crank the boost at the track - (20+lbs eventually as fuel supply, MAF, spark blowout, traction, driver skill, etc... permit).

No belts, pretty light, boost scales nicely. I went with a slightly larger set of turbos and compensated with head work, cam work and a little stroke - so I hopefully should see similar or better spool characteristics as the 57 with a near stock setup as a result of significantly increased intake/exhaust flow.

Parts are all hear now, build is started, but first task is to clean out the garage this weekend...

Last edited:
Back