Updrading speakers question

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I've decided to give my car the dynomat treatment this spring when it gets out of hibernation and I figured as long as I'm in there might as well upgrade the stock speakers. I've got a 2005 convertible with the Shakker 500.

My question is about the door subs. I've read a few threads on the headaches around those subs and that the factory ohms vs aftermarket ohms etc. I do not plan to replace the head unit until later 2015 with the new one coming out from Parrot RNB6. I'd rather not add any additional amps and I don't plan to add an trunk subs either. So should I just leave the door subs alone or should I upgrade them too? If I get some good quality front and rear speakers will the door subs just bring the whole quality down unless they are also replaced?

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
If you get good speakers in the doors and rear deck lid you will notice how crappy the door subs are... There are many options out there but most will require some modification to the door panels. Kicker does make some shallow mount subs that would fit as do some other companies. if you can get 1 or 2 ohm speakers they will work fine with the stock head unit and will sound great with the new head unit. there are some good write-ups on here about system installs.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
honestly, once you upgrade the head unit, youll notice a huge difference. i upgraded the head unit and not the speakers and i think its fine

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Once you do upgrade the HU, it will sound alot better.

But if you are already there dynomating and want to upgrade the crappy OEM stuff...then do it.

There are a few companies now that make slim fit subwoofers to fit in the doors. Just remember that the OEM subs are dual 1ohm woofers. I know Kicker makes a slim dual 1ohm woofer as I have them in my doors.

The door subs are the only thing amplified in the Shaker 500, everything else is ran off the HU.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

BadHabit - do you have an item number on the kicker you used? I assume it was direct fit plug and play?

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
These are the ones I bought. You will need to cut the connector off the OEM sub and attach the wires to the new ones.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_69524_Kicker-40CompRT81-CWRT81.html

I originally had the Shelby/Kicker 8's in the doors, but they were only 4ohm SVC and didn't play well with the OEM amp.

Are you happy with them and the sound? It's $300 for a pair of those and just wondering if I'd be better off going with the Shelby's and then getting an amp to power them?

Also any recommendations on door speakers? I'd like to stay around $100 a pair and plan to replace the front and back ones.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
With the Shelby's, there was a lot of mid-bass missing from the music. Since I was not upgrading to a aftermarket amp for the subs, I found a set of kickers that work like the OEM ones and sound great.

I actually have the Shelby 8's in the boxes in my garage...I can sell them to you if you want. They will come with the grilles.

As far as replacement door speakers, I have the kickers and the sound great. Some have gone with infinites and been happy also. Get something that is 4ohm and a high sensitivity rating. Since these are run off the HU.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
With the Shelby's, there was a lot of mid-bass missing from the music. Since I was not upgrading to a aftermarket amp for the subs, I found a set of kickers that work like the OEM ones and sound great.

Thanks, I don't mind paying for the right ones if its worth the cost. Since you have had both you think the extra $150 was well worth it?

I have a new set of infinity's in the garage collecting dust.

Why did you remove them, did you go with something else?

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
You need to figure out if your going to put an aftermarket amp on the door subs. If not, then you can go the route I did.

If you are going to replace the OEM amp, than a 4ohm sub will work fine.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They are brand new in the box. I bought 5 sets a year ago, put 2 sets in my car, one set in the wifes, sold the other 2. Now just have the one set left as an extra. Doing some garage cleanout though.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just checked and they are JBL not Infinity. JBL 8662 to be exact. Just to be sure i checked my rear shelf in my car and they are JBL as well. Lol this whole time i thought they were infinity. Oh well they sound amazing.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Just checked and they are JBL not Infinity. JBL 8662 to be exact. Just to be sure i checked my rear shelf in my car and they are JBL as well. Lol this whole time i thought they were infinity. Oh well they sound amazing.

How much are you asking for them shipped?

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I think I found the answer to my question above. It looks like the shelby spacer is 1/2" wide but due to the cutouts that it has if you use 1/2" mdf that is not enough by 3/8' inch. So you can't use 1/2" mdf. Looks like 3/4" will be enough though.

The stock wiring harness has 4 wires and I'm assuming you are using all 4 of them with these speakers. Can you summarize how you wired it up?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back