Upgrading the speakers with a Shaker 500

lambo killer

turbo in da butt
Reaction score
Is it true that when you upgrade your stock speakers to nicer ones that you won't get the full effect out of the aftermarket speaker because of the way the amp is wired to them? I read this on a forum....

"Thanks for reply...since post I found a shop that had just torn down a car with Shaker 500 system and he said: all speakers run through amp and crossovers built into amp so no way to capture full stereo signal for aftermarket crossover/components...so would not benefit from expensive aftermarket speakers. Would have to buy JL Audio device and another amp to hook between factory amp and aftermarket components. So, bottom line, would cost $750 -$1100 to install $300 pair of component speakers."

I bought new speakers for the rear deck because all of a sudden I heard a loud pop come from the back speakers and it seemed the rear passenger speaker blew so I bought new ones and the new speaker doesn't even work in that location. It just makes a buzzing noise like the stock one did and the driver side one works but is not loud at all. I literally have to turn my radio up almost to the max to hear anything decently out of all my speakers. WTF Anyone good with audio stuff help me!

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
the problem is the ohms from the amps...I inquired about swapping them previously and the main problem is due to the weird ohms ford uses vs. the normal aftermarket speaker ratings...the speakers would get quieter, and turning up the stereo volume in order to make up for it would lead to distortion. If you look on shelby's website, kicker makes a plug and play door speaker/subwoofer/amp setup that works with fords stuff...I just dont know if its sold individually

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You aren't going to get the full effect because most head units don't put out as much power as a stand-alone amp. Upgrading the factory units will still likely be a good improvement over stock, but you really need an amp to drive those speakers.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok but I just changed the rears out. The fronts is where I would run into problems right?

What do you mean by problems? If you are just changing the 2 way's in the upper part of the door then you do it the same way you changed the rears.

If you are talking about the door subs, then things will get complicated. Unless you know the specs of the factory amps, you'll need an external amp to power whatever you put down there.

What I meant earlier about not having enough power is that most aftermarket speakers are at least 50Wrms, whereas your typical head unit is only 20-25Wrms per channel. You just won't be driving the speakers well that way and could actually cause damage by underdriving them too much. You could get less powerful speakers, but then what would be the point of even changing out the stockers?

Just my .02.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back