Very Confused-PCV Valve breather or Catch Can

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am personaly not running a catch can yet, just breathers, found them at autozone. Spectra brand I believe. I also have a CFM oil fill breather thats baffled to keep oil from coming out. I routed the other filters away to keep things clean as they leak oil.

p_00069-13.jpg

p_00070-12.jpg

p_00072-10.jpg

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture by chance? And perhaps the part number for the little k&n filter?

Not of the can and I'm kind of far from my car to take one. :mad2: But here's one with two filters. The only difference is that instead of the passenger side filter, I installed the Stef's can on the CAI heatshield and ran a hose from the passenger side (in-lieu of the filter) behind the s/c to the can. Below is the list of parts for the set-up.

Also included a list of both breathers in-case you want to go that route vs. the catch can. Otherwise you only need the driver side breather and 5/8" vacuum cap.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STF-5115/

EAR-9892106ERL FEMALE 10 MALE 6 REDUCER 1

STF-5115 OIL SYS BRTHR/OVRFLO TNK 3X7 1

SUM-230606 S.S. HOSE -6 6FT 1

3/8" K&N Breather (Passenger side) 62-1320*
5/8" K&N Breather (Driver's side) 62-1340
3/8" Vacuum Cap 660-1698 NAPA
5/8" Vacuum Cap 660-1696 NAPA

Last edited:

cfr865

Reaction score
I have my catch can on the drivers side the pass. side is left as is. However my questions is do I need a pcv valve in the line from the cam cover to the catch can ? If so should the open side be towards the catch can or the cam cover? I have a pcv valve in line now with the open side towards the catch can, I've been looking at allot of set-ups but I don't see a pcv valve in place.

mrmonk7663

forum member
Reaction score
The Paxton comes with an online valve on the drivers side. I don't know y though. I'm eliminating it though and venting driver/pass sides to catch can with breather on top

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have my catch can on the drivers side the pass. side is left as is. However my questions is do I need a PVC valve in the line from the cam cover to the catch can ? If so should the open side be towards the catch can or the cam cover? I have a PVC valve in line now with the open side towards the catch can, I've been looking at allot of set-ups but I don't see a PVC valve in place.

This is the deal on why Vortech/Paxton puts a PVC in-line when you already have one in the driver side valve cover .

During test they found that the there was so much more sucking or positive vacuum that the intake manifold was looking like a lake of oil. The PVC valve in the valve cover was doing a great job of venting the crank case pressure but was allowing alot of oil to pass by it also ....so they put another PVC in-line to slow the oil vapors going back into the intake manifold while still letting enough crankcase pressure to go buy .

I have a catch can on my drive side and no extra PVC valve like most people have it set up and I'm runing a Noivi 2220 at 15 psi . But thats why my catch can fills up pretty quick because of the huge amount of positive vacuum but at the same time has the metal mesh filtering out 95% of the oil mist vapors ....other side of the hose is always pretty dry and the Tb is spotless.

cfr865

Reaction score
This is the deal on why Vortech/Paxton puts a PVC in-line when you already have one in the driver side valve cover .

During test they found that the there was so much more sucking or positive vacuum that the intake manifold was looking like a lake of oil. The PVC valve in the valve cover was doing a great job of venting the crank case pressure but was allowing alot of oil to pass by it also ....so they put another PVC in-line to slow the oil vapors going back into the intake manifold while still letting enough crankcase pressure to go buy .

I have a catch can on my drive side and no extra PVC valve like most people have it set up and I'm runing a Noivi 2220 at 15 psi . But thats why my catch can fills up pretty quick because of the huge amount of positive vacuum but at the same time has the metal mesh filtering out 95% of the oil mist vapors ....other side of the hose is always pretty dry and the Tb is spotless.

I hope I understand what you are saying, I have only one pcv valve that is in the line between the cam cover and the catch can.

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
I hope I understand what you are saying, I have only one pcv valve that is in the line between the cam cover and the catch can.

If you pull your valve cover off there is a pvc inside the cover ..if you have one in line you will have two of them .

Black Baby II

Black Baby II
Reaction score
I've ran a Stef's unit with great results before the Centri, gave it up due to it taking to up much room. Then went to breathers (both sides), worked well but nasty oil film everywhere.

Ultimately I ended up with the little JLT unit and it has allowed my to keep the addtional Paxton PCV intact. Everything is working great with this set up and it all fits well in the existing space.

100_2601.jpg

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you pull your valve cover off there is a pvc inside the cover ..if you have one in line you will have two of them .

no need to pull the cam cover....get a short hose and put it on the nipple of the drivers side cam cover....you can NOT blow into the crankcase. you can suck air out.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
why is it we see the oily mist out the pass side cover only? you'd think it would be on both sides?

The driver side with the pcv restricts flow more and only opens under boost/pressure. At idle it is closed completely and nothing comes out.

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The driver side with the pcv restricts flow more and only opens under boost/pressure. At idle it is closed completely and nothing comes out.

I have the new JLT oil separator and wondered why it wasnt catching much oil. so it will only catch oil at or near WOT...thanks!
but If I take my intake tube off I still see oil inside around the throttle body :( it wont pull oil in from the pass side too? under pressure/boost? Ihave the pass side connected like the factory does.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back