Vibration in wheel

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
Had this pop up not too long ago when turning the wheel right, I get a vibration coming through the wheel, as well as through the floor/frame of the car. It definitely coming from the right front tire/area, I have elimanted ball joints as an issue. The vibration would be similar to running over rumble strips on the shoulder of the road, the wheel will shake back and forth quickly. At certain speeds it will not occur and after a certain turning radius it will disappear, at this point I am possibly leading towards the endlinks, they are the only stock and original piece for the whole suspension. However before I go tossing money out the window; I thought I would gather other opinions.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
can u swap the fronts with something else.... just to 100% eliminate the right front wheel / tire. Or temp swap the two fronts.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Had this pop up not too long ago when turning the wheel right, I get a vibration coming through the wheel, as well as through the floor/frame of the car. It definitely coming from the right front tire/area, I have elimanted ball joints as an issue.

So you're getting vibration through the right front wheel when you steer to the right? Then it definitely isn't wheel bearings 'cause the problem would be worse when you load the right front wheel by turning to the left. Same if it was the ball joint so I suspect it might be a worn tie rod end at fault. Another possibility is that the tire could have uneven wear or a small bulge, or the wheel rim is warped by curb damage.
The anti-sway bar endlinks aren't part of the steering mechanism so it's doubtful they're at fault.

Last edited:

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
So you're getting vibration through the right front wheel when you steer to the right? Then it definitely isn't wheel bearings 'cause the problem would be worse when you load the right front wheel by turning to the left. Same if it was the ball joint so I suspect it might be a worn tie rod end at fault. Another possibility is that the tire could have uneven wear or a small bulge, or the wheel rim is warped by curb damage.
The anti-sway bar endlinks aren't part of the steering mechanism so it's doubtful they're at fault.

The vibration itself can be felt through both the steering as well as through the car itself. It's also possible for my bumpsteer to fail, however I have leaned away from that, as though seem to be more robust and should hold up much better than stock tie-rod ends.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
Havent even noticed it at a stand still, however it will start after turning the wheel to a certain point and if I turn it more it sometimes disappears. This vibration only seems to occur after 40mph

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That pretty much rules out a power steering issue in itself then. I would investigate the tie rod and try swapping front wheel around to see if follows a wheel etc.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
Swapped wheels/tires, still the same vibration, snapped a photo of the bump steer as well. I just don't know why though my mind keeps saying its the end link.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have hand a loose swaybar end link but it just made a popping noise never any vib. You could disconnect both end links and tuck them down and take it for a spin and see if its still does it.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Swapped wheels/tires, still the same vibration

I suggest you jack the front of the car up, support it on jackstands, and with the wheels off the ground, grab each one and see if there's any wobble either in the vertical or horizontal planes. Ask a buddy to look at the steering joints and bushings underneath while you're performing this exercise.
I'll be surprised if you don't find anything abnormal.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
Picture of the end link connection and the bumpsteer. I removed the endlinks, I couldn't get it to replicate the feeling for a while and then it happened a few times.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Stock wheels or aftermarket? If aftermarket, did you remove the brake disc retaining clips on the wheel studs? They will prevent the wheel from sitting flush against the brake disc and cause a wobble. The stock wheels have cutouts to accommodate the brake disc clips.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
I'm almost at the point of replacing everything, the shake causes the steering wheel to move left to right quickly and it will come and go.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I've usually found it was the tires.

My car vibrates like crazy at high speed, I just live with it. I think the wheels are bent from the terrible roads. At cruising speed it's fine, perfect.

J2L06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Might try lubing that bumpsteer joint with a big shot of WD40,
looks dry and if its binding while turning could cause vibration.

EDIT: Not a long term solution, just test to see if solves problem.

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Might try lubing that bumpsteer joint with a big shot of WD40,
looks dry and if its binding while turning could cause vibration.

Agree that joint does look dry, but doesn't it have a grease zerk so you can pump some grease into it? WD40 won't keep it lubed for long.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back