Vibration problem and WTF Is a Road Force Balance?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
and was i right?

Still haven't done the work yet. I am going to see if I can use a buddy's lift to get this done. It is going to sleet Tuesday, so I am not doing it in the driveway.

I'm just curious how they did a 4 wheel alignment since there is ZERO adjustment on the rear as far as caster, camber and toe. And I highly doubt they would be picking up lateral movement on the rear to adjust the panhard bar and they wouldn't be checking the rear for pinion angle.

I love it when places charge for 4 wheel alignments and only have 2 to align.

I have no idea what they think they did. I don't have any adjustable parts in the rear, they are all fixed. All the parts were made by FFRP to work together. So the theory is they are all in the correct location for proper wheel track and pinion angle at the new ride height.

The service writer said "we did a 4 wheel but only charged you for a 2 wheel". LOL

Last edited:

$teve

Reaction score
Assume new wheels are hub centric by themselves or with centering rings. If not this could be an issue.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Please post what you find out to be the problem!!! I have been following waiting for an answer since I suffer the same problem. (well not since my motor is blown) lol My car was purchased with aftermarket wheels on it from a dealership and has had the problem from day one. The clips have been removed, new rotors have been installed and everything in that area was cleaned and checked for burs or anything keeping it from sitting right. No answer yet. Anxiously awaiting your find on the situation and hopeing we have the same fix.

Shawn

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In my experience, road force balancing is more useful for off-road applications with large mud tires (that come VERY unbalanced out of the mold from day one).

B

Black Heart

I had this same problem... My cause was a broken steel belt in one of my front tires. Who would have thought?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
did you take the retaining clips/locks off the wheel studs before you installed the new rims?
the wheel wont be sitting flat and vibrating.

Well, you were right bro...it got up to 50 today, so I pulled the clips off. The vibration is completely gone.

I went from "Can't stand driving it" to "smooth as glass". Wednesday I am pulling the back clips too. Would have done it today, but I had to go run some places.

This site rocks :rock::rockon:Been to the dealer twice and they couldn't fix it.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys... :beer:

Spaz

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im glad to hear that was your problem!! My clips have been gone for some time so I guess I will just have to dig a little deeper for what my problem may be? (maybe I have a bent rim)

XtremeStang

forum member
Reaction score
I had a similar vibration too. What it turned out to be American Racing wheels (razor) needed hub rings to center the wheel, call your manufacturer and ask if you need rings. Hope this helps. Tip-- Buy spline lugs if have a tight fit, makes alot easier to line up hub!!

Too late!!
+1

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
louie.... are you following me?????

B

Black Heart

Is it those clips that come out of the caliper facing the wheel and curve back into the caliper? How do they come out?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I took them off the rear wheels too. It helped smooth the ride out and brought the noise level down.

I can't believe how such a light, thin, dime-size piece of metal can cause so much trouble...If I didn't see the end results with my own eyes, I would have never believed it.

B

Black Heart

Just yanked mine off...man those things are thin. I can't believe it was giving people problems lol.

zipperhead

Reaction score
This has been a good thread. I bought some SVT chrome gt wheels this past year and have had a difficult time gettting the vibration out. I will remove these clips this weekend.

On another note. Do any of the site sponsors have some decent chrome lug nuts? Ford racing says to use the OEM size and shape for these wheels but I would like some high chrome ones to aid my great looking wheels

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back