Watts link or struts/springs??

gomb3

Reaction score
So only have little over a 1K budget and am looking at either Steeda Watts Link or Coilover Kit. Curious which setup will be more progressive towards slicing through the corners?

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
Considering you found a coilover kit for 1k, I'd go with the watts link (in regards to your question). Now with that said, IMO you're better off spending the money on some good shocks/struts, springs and cc plates.

Last edited:

gomb3

Reaction score
pretty much what I was leaning towards. Are the Koni yellows preferred only b/c they are adjustable and good for DD or that they are better than the STR.T's?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Both. They are a better damper than the STR.T, and they are adjustable, so you can soften for the street, and tighten them up for the track.

gomb3

Reaction score
ok good to know, next question any preference towards springs? was looking at the steeda sport

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda sport is a good way to go. Some feel that if you seriously track or race the car that you'll want more spring rate, but they'll be fine for spirited drives and light track/autocross duty

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda Sports are a great all around choice. Steeda Comp's are a better choice if you have or intend on running a blower/turbo. (because of the extra weight up front). That's the quick answer. There are a ton of questions/answers needed to make a detailed choice on suspension parts. Do a search and read a bunch about this topic. There is a lot of good information posted as this is a frequently asked question on this forum.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Steeda Sports are a great all around choice. Steeda Comp's are a better choice if you have or intend on running a blower/turbo. (because of the extra weight up front). That's the quick answer. There are a ton of questions/answers needed to make a detailed choice on suspension parts. Do a search and read a bunch about this topic. There is a lot of good information posted as this is a frequently asked question on this forum.

I would consider GT500's Steeda Sport springs if they have a blower. The springs are $100 cheaper than comps too.

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score
H&R race springs have a decent rate for hard driving duty, but are a little low for some...

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Just put Steeda Sports on my 2013 GT, and I am very pleased with them. They are great for a DD and IMHO, lowers the car just the right amount. FWIW, I'm running them along with Tokico D-Specs and GT500 strut mounts. So far it's been a great combo, and it doesn't break the bank.

That being said, I have had Eibach Pros (springs, dampers) on a couple of other Mustangs in the past, including my '07 GT/CS, and that was a great set up as well. That combo was a bit rougher on the street, but it was great for autocrossing though. And it also was very affordable.

I'd say for your budget, go with a good spring/strut/shock package. There are many good ones out there, and you'll get many different opinions. Also keep in mind that if you go lower than about 1.5" or so, you'll need to add in the cost of an adjustable rear panhard bar to center the axle housing under the chassis.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I have a Saleen Watts Link, it really helps the car feel more confident coming out of turns, it eliminates that squirly feeling in the rear. That said, if you still on stock Springs/Shocks you MUST do that first, suspension MOD #1. I had Steeda Sports on my Vert, they were great.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
There are some Steeda Sport springs for sale over at AFM in the classifieds for $150.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/pp-c...roduct=22825&title=steeda-sport-springs&cat=6

There also is some Steeda HD mounts for $200 from the same guy.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/pp-c...33&title=steeda-camber-plates-05mustang&cat=6

That's $350. That leaves $650 for whatever else you want. You could go for Koni STR-T's and have money for an alignment and still have money in your pocket. You could get Bilstein HD's and break even at $1000.

There's a million ways to spend money on these cars. You should spend your money addressing "issues" that you want to fix. The parts above would be "more progressive towards slicing through corners", but "progressive" in the sense that good tires would be in the picture of progression at some point and driver skill was not a factor.

Push car to limit---->increase limit----->push car to limit----->increase limit.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Don't get the Steeda or Fays Watts link in any case.

The coil overs will make a much larger difference in handling than the Watts link. $1000 for coil overs is a little too cheap unless you find some good used ones.