Weatherstrip leaking 2007

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I have had the wet carpet issue, I know fairly common but the usual places were all good. I took the carpet out and spent a while pouring water on the car with no carpet in it. It turns out the plastic that holds the rubber seal for the window has a seal to the body. I removed the screws and pulled it off. And the great UAW workers must have been especially lazy the day they installed these. It was very poorly applied, missing big sections and bunched up in other places. Both sides as it turns out. I fixed the drivers side with new sealer and seams to be fixed. now I will do the passenger side. I'm going to replace the carpet because it has a musty smell now.
no carpet 1.jpeg weather strip 5.jpeg weather strip 4.jpeg weather strip 1.jpeg weather strip 2.jpeg

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I think this exact repair is on my shortlist right now.. thanks for the photos, shows me a bit what I’m in for.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I think this exact repair is on my shortlist right now.. thanks for the photos, shows me a bit what I’m in for.
it's not necessary to pull the carpet to fix the leak but my car was getting wet and staying wet for a while, it started to smell bad. I think if it dried out it might be okay...

GriffX

Reaction score
I thought that the weatherstrip get squeezed out with sunlight and the according temp change. I had a personal parking slot at my workplace, the side of dayli sunlight got squeezed out over some years, the other side not. Strange.....

DieHarder

Reaction score
Known problem with these cars. Plenty of threads on it and vids on Utube. Most any hardware store has 1" wide x 1/8" thick self stick (one side) foam tape for ~$10 that will work as a replacement. No need to buy the Ford OEM for $100/side.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Known problem with these cars. Plenty of threads on it and vids on Utube. Most any hardware store has 1" wide x 1/8" thick self stick (one side) foam tape for ~$10 that will work as a replacement. No need to buy the Ford OEM for $100/side.
I knew about the cowl drains plugging up and the grommets for the plastic cowl clips supposedly leaking but I didn't know about this seal. I googled it and like you said, many videos online about it. I thought I had discovered something! Anyway, I actually used black RTV sealer. I figured if the factory foam or rubber stuff shrinks or erodes away I wasn't going to mess with that any of that kind of stuff.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I thought that the weatherstrip get squeezed out with sunlight and the according temp change. I had a personal parking slot at my workplace, the side of dayli sunlight got squeezed out over some years, the other side not. Strange.....
I had thought it was just poorly applied but after watching several videos online and seeing they all look the same way, it must be that the stuff shrinks or just deteriorates over time. It might be that exposure to sun and weather makes it fail quicker. Anyway, it's a flaw that could rust floorboards and certainly stinks up the car!

Miker

Reaction score
I knew about the cowl drains plugging up and the grommets for the plastic cowl clips supposedly leaking but I didn't know about this seal. I googled it and like you said, many videos online about it. I thought I had discovered something! Anyway, I actually used black RTV sealer. I figured if the factory foam or rubber stuff shrinks or erodes away I wasn't going to mess with that any of that kind of stuff.
Black RTV? Hope you never have to take that apart again.

JC SSP

Reaction score
We should have a library with all these usual problems listed with these simple fixes/solutions.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
now that the leaks are all fixed (car sat for a couple weeks with no carpet) and it's staying dry, I bought new carpet. The old carpet smelled musty and was worn/faded. I used the 2012 carpet I had for a template because I prematurely threw out the 07 carpet before getting the new one. I don't like the aftermarket carpet as well as the factory stuff but it does look and smell better.
no carpet 1.jpeg
IMG_8797.jpeg
IMG_8798.jpeg
IMG_8799.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back