Went from 3.15 to 3.73 rear gears in my 14 GT Automatic now 2nd gear seems to bog dow

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
As stated i had 3.73's installed in my 2014 GT Automatic and the car has gone from very aggressive acceleration in all gears to what seems to me a bog down in second...

First gear winds upto around 6,800 rpm then the drop in rpm between 1st to second is huge and thats when it appears to bog down-

I have a SCT X4 Tuner and it only came with 1 sct tune in it and i have already adjusted the axle setting from stock to 3.73-

Do i need to get a new tune perhaps with different shift points for the gear change?

Also i gutted out the cats does that require a adjustment in the tune?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance-

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You likely need a tune to adjust for the shift points.

Justin at VMP has done a lot of work refining his 5.0 auto tuning over the last two years and would likely be your best bet for a local dyno tune. He also tunes all of Gary Yeoman's race cars.

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
You likely need a tune to adjust for the shift points.

Justin at VMP has done a lot of work refining his 5.0 auto tuning over the last two years and would likely be your best bet for a local dyno tune. He also tunes all of Gary Yeoman's race cars.
I have heard of VMP before but Never knew they were local-
Thanks for the heads up i really appreciate it-

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is that there's a reason none of the fastest auto guys run any higher than a 3.27 in the rear.

4VFTW

Reaction score
you need a tune. I suggest Mike Rousch@midatlanticperformance or Shaun@AED.

5.Blow

Do you even lift?
Reaction score
I got 3.31's and love that 2nd gear pull from 60-85MPH. Mine shifts in Auto mode at 7300RPM.

Unless you got a Boss Mani, I wouldn't go over 3.55's in an auto. 1st gear is already short as is.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is that there's a reason none of the fastest auto guys run any higher than a 3.27 in the rear.

Actually Aaron Lail's car has 3.73 and runs in the 10.80s. Other than a set of headers, engine is stock down to the paper filter. He'd tell you the only reason that gear is in there though is due to running 1/8th mile the vast majority of the time, otherwise he'd take gear out.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Mike Rousch at MId Atlantic Performance can tune the 6R80 to perfection for the 3.73 / no cats combo.

Sent from SYNC in my '14 Mustang GT...

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
Mike Rousch at MId Atlantic Performance can tune the 6R80 to perfection for the 3.73 / no cats combo.

I plan on hooking up with Mike real soon....
Not sure if you have ever heard of a G-Tech Pro but i ran my car the other night after i put the Drag Radials on and what a Difference No wheel spin makes....12.37ET-
I will run the car at the track tomorrow and get a real time slip but it is usually +/- 1 tenth-

Attachments

• 12.37.jpg
    12.37.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 58

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
keeripes, I haven't seen one of those in YEARS. I actually have one around here somewhere. Good luck at the strip.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I plan on hooking up with Mike real soon....
Not sure if you have ever heard of a G-Tech Pro but i ran my car the other night after i put the Drag Radials on and what a Difference No wheel spin makes....12.37ET-
I will run the car at the track tomorrow and get a real time slip but it is usually +/- 1 tenth-

I used to have a G-Tech almost 20 years ago when they first came out. Fun to play with.

Drag radials make a ton of difference, so we're hoping for some good #'s from you after you get some track time!

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
I used to have a G-Tech almost 20 years ago when they first came out. Fun to play with.

Drag radials make a ton of difference, so we're hoping for some good #'s from you after you get some track time!
Made it to the track but was only able to make 1 pass....G-Tech showed 12.39 but the actual time slip was [email protected]'ve got some work to do-

Attachments

• burn out.jpg
    burn out.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 26
  • look.jpg
    look.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 21
  • gt1.jpg
    gt1.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 28
  • slipp1.jpg
    slipp1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 36

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Made it to the track but was only able to make 1 pass....G-Tech showed 12.39 but the actual time slip was [email protected]'ve got some work to do-

A good stall converter will drop your 60' times roughly 3 tenths and likely put your 1/4 mile ET's into the 11.90's. That should be your very next mod if your goal is to drive it daily and run consistently in the low 12's (or high 11's).

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
A good stall converter will drop your 60' times roughly 3 tenths and likely put your 1/4 mile ET's into the 11.90's. That should be your very next mod if your goal is to drive it daily and run consistently in the low 12's (or high 11's).

He's gonna need more then a converter to get into the 11's. He's not gonna pick up 6 tenths...

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the mph is a bit low for a 93R-tuned, X pipe car. My loaded MT 3.73 Brembo makes 115+ on the soft Procal 91 tune, otherwise stock motor, intake and exhaust. Perhaps I'm missing something?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the mph is a bit low for a 93R-tuned, X pipe car. My loaded MT 3.73 Brembo makes 115+ on the soft Procal 91 tune, otherwise stock motor, intake and exhaust. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Yea, you are manual he is auto. Manuals trap higher...he's right where it should be. You probably would be higher without that crappy Procal.

Last edited:

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
Not for nothing but i only got to make 1 pass...lol and i have the Stock Air Intake and Stock mufflers.... and the cats are gutted not a true O.R.X-Pipe-
But yes my next mod will be a converter and M.A.Tune-
Any converter suggestions for a daily driver?

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Not for nothing but i only got to make 1 pass...lol and i have the Stock Air Intake and Stock mufflers.... and the cats are gutted not a true O.R.X-Pipe-
But yes my next mod will be a converter and M.A.Tune-
Any converter suggestions for a daily driver?

Circle-D converter. 5C, or if you are daring like me, go for a 4E and have Chris at Circle-D set your stall to 4500-5000 rpm's. You want it to flash just a few hundred rpm's below your peak torque to get right up to the powerband.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back