What have you done to your house today

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
That's cool looking. Here is the one I made out of some old barn wood.

10268463_10151998149176152_4869520533637830868_n.jpg

Yeah I remember seeing that. Very cool. I may take this one and make some kind of frame for it so I can hang it on the wall. That would make it much cooler IMO.

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
Yeah I remember seeing that. Very cool. I may take this one and make some kind of frame for it so I can hang it on the wall. That would make it much cooler IMO.

Oh yeah... Facebook. haha.

The frame on this one is pretty simple. 2x2 that the barn planks screw directly to. Then I used a french cleat to hang it on the wall. This is as much for decoration as it is anything else. The wife liked it so it stays. :)

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks jaye - yeah it's a rough on for sure -

So good news of the house (let's be positive) so house is over 3000 sq ft. Has a tandem 3 car garage - talked to owner into leaving his awesome work bench behind. Hard woods throughout over sized master - pretty much move in ready which is great.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Met our Closet Factory rep to finalize our closets, mud room, and laundry room. Pretty cool set ups. Also checked on the house. They were taping and mudding the drywall.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So as some of you know, my wife and I moved to Denver in the end of October. We had purchased a house that was being built, with the understanding that it would be completed late December/early January. Since my wife had taken a job here and needed to be here for work, and finding a place to stay for less than 3 months would be difficult, our friend offered to let us stay with him for the two or so months. Obviously, we insisted on paying him a reasonable rent for the area.

Well, when we found out that the house wouldn't be completed until the end of March, we figured it would be asking too much of our friend. Plus, he started dating this girl who is kind of a slob. She's really nice, she just doesn't pick up anything and has two dogs that are far from well behaved.

Anyway, after being scammed on a rental house, we found a really cool apartment complex that was willing to rent us a place for 3 months. I took delivery of the keys today, but will be out of town until Sunday.

Do you have any construction pics of your house? How big is it going to be?

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have any construction pics of your house? How big is it going to be?

It will come out to 3000, or 2997, if I remember correctly. It's a spec home, here's the actual model: http://www.brookfieldresidentialco.com/communities/midtown/models/residence-two-elevation-modern

That website has pictures of the model home in that floor plan, too.

Here's how it sat about a month ago. It actually looked like this yesterday too, but now the exterior surfaces are at least on the property.

I took these pictures Monday. On Wednesday they were taping and mudding.

Basement

Stairway

Kitchen

The view from the seating area off of our bedroom. I'm sure it will change quite a bit as the neighborhood develops.

I'm planning on posting more as the finishes start going in.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Tore down an old rabbit pen that was in the back yard messing up the view.

Before:

After:

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
I like the hand railings

Haha. Yeah, they're custom.

They didn't have one anchored for quite some time. I always seemed to forget and almost took a tumble a time or two.

The standard is a capped half wall instead of a rod and railing setup, but I didn't like how it closed the area off. I can't wait to see the real railing go in.

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
Had the home inspector out today, he said house looks good just a few Windows need replacing and some minor plumbing issues that need to be addressed but overall a good house. Nice I hear some good news for once

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Anybody know what size/type of beam I'd have to use as a header in a load-bearing wall for a 12-foot opening?

Currently the opening is about 8-9' and it has 2x8's above it I believe ... I don't think they're really strong enough, but I was told I might need to do laminate pieces with plywood sandwiched in-between, glued and screwed together ...

Anybody have any more info on this?

RedRide

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody know what size/type of beam I'd have to use as a header in a load-bearing wall for a 12-foot opening?

Currently the opening is about 8-9' and it has 2x8's above it I believe ... I don't think they're really strong enough, but I was told I might need to do laminate pieces with plywood sandwiched in-between, glued and screwed together ...

Anybody have any more info on this?

Typically for headers made of solid sawn lumber; 1" of board width per foot of run is to be used as header material, laminations with plywood and / or other boards depends on how and where they are used.

Fastening; 3 X 10d commons on 12'' center.

At 12' rough opening you also have to use double ( triple not a bad idea ) jack studs.

engineered lumber would be easier and less hassle. Could be LVL, Timberstrand, etc.

Last edited:

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Well guys my wife and I put in an offer this evening on a house we looked at. 2 hours later, they accepted our offer! If everything goes to plan we will be closing the 27th of February! Im super stoked for our first home!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back