What parts to "future proof" my little red vert?

Dumpy

Reaction score
Hey All
Need to think about parts availability for future as 06/V6 vert wants a future!
Let me know what parts you would get before they're obsolete please!

Info: 06 / V6 convertible, 18,000 kilometers, coolant & brake fluids changed.
thermostat changed to lower temp, krown oil sprayed & garaged A LOT!
water penetration almost impossible thanks to kind folks here (OCD)

Thanks for reading folks!

JimC

Reaction score
With the 2006 4.0 there is an issue with the plastic thermostat housing. It's not a question of will it fail, only when. When it fails it is often misdiagnosed as the water pump failing.

Get the aluminum housing and replace it with that. I believe you can find it on Amazon.

Dumpy

Reaction score
Fuel pumps, smart junction box, dash cluster...decent front seats.

Was hoping to avoid future SJM replacement with all the water leak fixes.(rubber drains removed, wiper cowl gaskets & gorilla tape over interior routing oval holes, sealant on exterior wire grommets)

Thanks

Samos3

Reaction score
Electrical components can deteriorate thru age and usage, not just water infiltration. Even someone just being clumsy.
I have a spare, brand new ecm for my 90 Safari van....just in case.

Samos3

Reaction score
If you want to 'stock up', consider buying low mileage OEM parts from owners that have upgraded or are parting out wrecked cars.
You don't necessarily have to buy new. My GT is at 210k. I have recently replaced the injectors, throttlebody, fuel rail, intake manifold, belt tensioner, coolant tank, power steering reservoir, and some of the pcv plastic lines with stuff that was an 8k mile take-off for a supercharger upgrade. All of it was near new in condition as it had been stored inside for 10-12 years.

I got all of it for less than the price of a set of refurbished injectors.
Bought an 8k mile OEM alternator and alternator cable from a forum member for the day when mine dies. Cost much less than an Autozone rebuild...even with shipping.

Whpony96

Reaction score
Multiple SJB's (Smart Junction Boxes). Specifically from the same year and equipment packages. Yes these can be programed, but if you find the exact same one you can avoid that added cost and a trip to the dealership. Also switch the fan over to a GT500 fan it has more blades and new motor design for less draw on the harness plug that tends to melt. Part Number is M-8C607-MSVT.

Picking up another OEM Leather wrapped steering wheel with the 3 aluminum trim pieces is a great idea as well.

And finally a power seat track for the driver side.

Last edited:
Back