What power levels are the ecoboost engines capable of?

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
DI engines tend to carbon up the intake valve due to the PCV system dumping oil mist into the intake manifold and there not being a conventional injector spraying down the back side of the intake valve. VW (also Audi), Mazda (Mazdaspeed 3), and Chevrolet (Cobalt SS LNF motor) have issues with this from what I have seen. I've owned 2 of these three and it was a known issue. Hopefully Ford got the PCV system right on the ecoboost.

Which is why I have an ENORMOUS oil separator on my ST. It's about the size of a one liter bottle. And it took 5 damn hours to install.

JDM74

forum member
Reaction score
Well considering that there has been 2 different EB engines out since 2011+ and no issues reported, I'm pretty sure they figured it out...

Eh, that's not what I found when I did some searching. I'm not sold on DI just yet.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Eh, that's not what I found when I did some searching. I'm not sold on DI just yet.
There can be carbon buildup on the tops side of the intake valves on any DI engine right now. Ford's don't seem to be as bad as some of the other manufacturers. I'd like to see a factory system, sort of like DEF injection, but really more like meth injection that would engage every so many miles to clean the top side of the motor myself. The problem would be totally solved then.

Till then, just add plan on an extra maintenance step, add running a can on sea foam through the motor once a year prior to an oil change.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I know a lot of N54 BMW guys just have the intake ports on the head cleaned every 40k miles. And it does seem that meth would help the issue for them.

Prancing Pony

Reaction score
A Ford rep said the 2.3 liter Ecoboost will have at least 305 horsepower. I would suspect it will more than likely have 330 to 350 horsepower.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
As that would be great, but seems a little bit of a stretch. The 2.0 produces 252hp which comes out to 126hp/liter. That would make the 2.3 come out around 290hp. In order to hit 330 you'd have to squeeze almost 144hp/liter and 350 would take 152hp/liter. That is probably a lot to ask for a factory emissions legal tune that runs on a max of 91 octane.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
..... That is probably a lot to ask for a factory emissions legal tune that runs on a max of 91 octane.

That's the beauty of a turbo vehicle though. At idle and cruise I don't think the emission will change much if at all. It's only at WOT there would be a big change.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
That's the beauty of a turbo vehicle though. At idle and cruise I don't think the emission will change much if at all. It's only at WOT there would be a big change.
The issue is with the quality of the fuel that you are limited to in a factory tune. Crappy 91 octane is the best any manufacturer can tune for. It will only support so much cylinder pressure, ait, spark advance etc and you are talking about pushing up to 150hp/liter which is no small task. It has to do it in a 90% humidity day in death valley with 115 degree temps the same tune that supports freezing temps in the dead of winter on the east coast. This means TONS of cushion have to be present.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back