What type of Dyno?

jason0156

Kenne Bell Time
Reaction score
What dyno do you like better? Mustang Dyno or Dynojet?
We went to a dyno day and people where not happy with the numbers the mustang dyno was showing.:furious:

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Mustang Dyno's will almost always read 10-15% lower than a Dynojet. For high numbers you want to dyno on a Dynojet. Remember dynos are only a tool.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
A loaded dyno better simulates road conditions, either can be used very effectively for tuning the tuner just has to compensate for the type of dyno being used.

2oo5GT

That is hard to say. i've seen a car dyno one number on a mustang dyno and dyno higher on a dynojet, though rare, it can happen. The dynojet I go to will tell me 320rwhp but if i go to another dynojet it will say 330rwhp. All will tell you something different. Best thing to do is find one you like and stick to it and see how your mods are doing. Numbers are one thing, how you get down the track is another.

TGJ

forum member
Reaction score
For tuning, it is subjective. Some of the Dyno-jets have a load bearing mode which allows them to be like a Mustang-dyno. The problem with load bearing dyno's is that you can fudge the numbers. This is the best way to tune the car.

Dyno-jets in inertia mode cannot be fudged as easily and is considered the industry standard in North America. However tuning in inertia mode is not as accurate as a load bearing dyno.

If you can find a Dyno-jet that has both modes, that would be ideal. Tune in load bearing mode, and then make a money shot in the inertia mode. A Mustang-dyno would be the 2nd choice.

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience on a Dynapack dyno?? Any opinions? Reason being is that a local tuner that is known for doing good work just purchased one. This is my closest option...but theres something about taking my rear wheels off to do a dyno that doesnt see right...

wadman

forum member
Reaction score
I can tell you for sure that Mustang dynos are easy to alter the numbers. I had a turbo put on my car and the tuner gave me a chart off his Mustang dyno that said I was making 494rwtq. After everybody laughed me off the other forums I went to a Dynojet and put down 430rwtq. By the way Im only running 7lbs of boost. Im going for another run on a different dyno next week. But everyone says Mustangs will give you what ever you need.

SixtySix

ZonieBaloney
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like my butt dyno. Never needs calibration. If my butt is happy, I'm happy:thud:

2oo5GT

It's not hard to fudge with some dyno's, i hate when the mustang mags go to a certain shop/retailer for them to install a part they have and then dyno it, i'm never certain if they fudge with the numbers or not. I still think its wierd when some S197 stock gets dyno'd and is pushing 280+rwhp, how does a stock Mustang GT with 300HP only loose 20hp to parasitic lost that's only a 7% lost??? And mine stock dyno'd 262rwhp stock with 9500 miles on it?? It's either fudged or they don't know what they are doing or the dyno is not calibrated right.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
300bhp is the standard, every motor even if built with the exact same parts and the exact same tune will dyno a little differently. That is due to manufacturing tolerences. So it is very possible that a 3v 4.6 can dyno 280hp on a Dynojet, look at 03/04 Cobras they all dynoed 360-370 and were rated at 390, I've seen one car dyno over 380 with JUST a cat back exhaust.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back