Whipple HO Fuel economy?

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of MPG are y'all getting with a Whipple HO with the FRPP Tune and stock gears?

Thanks
Randy

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I'm getting 22-23mpg with 3.55 gears, 11 psi of boost, and Adam@ST's custom tune. Not sure what the stock frpp tune gets.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I ran some datalog runs at the strip and sent them to him. He made adjustments and I reloaded it in my car.

silverbull1tt

forum member
Reaction score
I got like 300 miles on a tank, all highway miles going to Adam's shop and back.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
I noticed a 2mpg drop in town, and a 2-3mpg drop on the freeway with 4.10s. (freeway = 75+) this is with a custom tune though, sorry I didn't read the entire post.

I'm not conserned with MPG though, I didn't buy the car to be economical :-D

Last edited:

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I noticed a 2mpg drop in town, and a 2-3mpg drop on the freeway with 4.10s. (freeway = 75+) this is with a custom tune though, sorry I didn't read the entire post.

I'm not conserned with MPG though, I didn't buy the car to be economical :-D

Thanks for all the replies. The question wasn't actually from me, it was from my brother. He was really just wanting to know about how much of a mileage drop he was going to take.

I lost 2 mpg when I went to 4:10's on the freeway at 75+. Not sure how much I lost when I put the turbo in. Haven't had time to really check it out. I know the tune needs some work, that is why I was asking about the mail order tune from Adam, he is a bit far for me to drive. It's about 1900 miles from here.

Thanks again
Randy

08GOGT

forum member
Reaction score
I would not expect much MPG loss since you really should be out of boost with stock gears. So that it should be running as if N/A until you start climbing on the RPMs. I'm pretty sure Whipples/KB's/Saleens have a bypass for just this reason. It more efficient to have the air bypass the blower since you don't need boost to cruise and it also lower AIT's.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
I would not expect much MPG loss since you really should be out of boost with stock gears. So that it should be running as if N/A until you start climbing on the RPMs. I'm pretty sure Whipples/KB's/Saleens have a bypass for just this reason. It more efficient to have the air bypass the blower since you don't need boost to cruise and it also lower AIT's.

It still has to spin that extra stuff around on the blower, I'm not sure if that's enough to account for the roughly 2mpg, or if it's just my foot (or my tuning, since I told my tuner MPG was not a concern). I'm guessing it's mostly my foot. With the extra power, I've noticed my foot got a little heavier :samuri: haha! or maybe the 4.10's negate the bypass valve a little bit.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back