Whipple installed, couple questions

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have just finished installing my Whipple HO kit in my car and so far I'm really happy with it! Fired right up first try! I checked all the fluids and took it for a short spin around the block. I can already tell I'm going to really like it!! While I was at it I installed an AFR and boost gauges and painted my valve covers.

Install was pretty straight forward but the instructions were ok at best... few times I had to toss the instructions aside and figure it out on my own (called whipple once, very helpful there!) some of the wiring and IC plumbing was totally different than what I had in front of me... but I got everything sorted out and that's all that matters.

First question is how full do I fill my intercooler reservoir? Instructions just say fill it...

Second is it normal for the afr to go to 18.0-20.0 coasting down hill? Idle is 14.5-14.7 and wot is 11.5

Got a local guy here that runs a mustang shop, going to have him throw it on the dyno soon.

b76e98ab6eb2140f551fdf8c04f80399.jpg

07 Boss

Reaction score
Nice, you will love it. I did some changes to the install when I did mine. Found my own spot for the IC pump and reversed the flow to the actual inter-cooler in the manifold. I had a few other things going on that necessitated the changes but I think it's a little cleaner this way anyways.

I Don't know how well you can see it but the return from the inter-cooler is coming from the other side so it's more of a straight shot into the reservoir and got rid of the Z shaped hose. And then the inlet hose is half the length now because it is on the same side as the pump. also threw and elbow on the heater hose going to the crossover. That way the hose can run straight back instead of looping around. And I got rid of that fuel crossover line going over the SC. I hated that thing.

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
While doing my reservoir I used a mighty vac to pull a vacuum to get all the trapped air out. If not you may not get proper flow through the system causing hot spots.

07 Boss

Reaction score
While doing my reservoir I used a mighty vac to pull a vacuum to get all the trapped air out. If not you may not get proper flow through the system causing hot spots.

I just drove mine around the block and the air bled out by itself.

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yea just got back from lunch and after getting on it a few times I was giggling like a little kid! Just pulls and pulls now!!! 1st gear is useless but 2nd and 3rd are awesome!

I got all the air bubbles out and the IC pump is running smooth but how much coolant do I keep in the tank? There is no line to mark max capacity... doesn't help it's a black tank... I just filled it to about 1/2-3/4" from the cap...?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yea just got back from lunch and after getting on it a few times I was giggling like a little kid! Just pulls and pulls now!!! 1st gear is useless but 2nd and 3rd are awesome!

I got all the air bubbles out and the IC pump is running smooth but how much coolant do I keep in the tank? There is no line to mark max capacity... doesn't help it's a black tank... I just filled it to about 1/2-3/4" from the cap...?

Mine is full to the top. It doesn't get that hot so it's doesn't need much room for expansion like your engine cooling system. I don't run coolant in mine either,
water and Water Wetter is all I use.

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is full to the top. It doesn't get that hot so it's doesn't need much room for expansion like your engine cooling system. I don't run coolant in mine either,

water and Water Wetter is all I use.

Cool thanks, that's what I figured. I used a bottle of water wetter 3/4 gallon of 50/50 coolant and topped off with distilled water.

What fuel rails are you running? I like the look of that set up!

07 Boss

Reaction score
Aeromotive rails. they are a little pricey with their fittings but top quality. I plumbed it a little different with an individual line running to either side with no crossover.

I ran the main fuel line up by the driver's side strut tower and it splits from there. Moved the FRPS over to there and have my pressure gauge sensor there also with the boost gauge sensor split into the vacuum line there. It made wiring the 3 gauges (oil pressure sensor on that side of the engine too) easier and neater.

Lol, I cut my old alternator bracket in half and used it to mount the hardware to the strut tower.

I have a place down the street called House of Hose, great name for Vegas. Anyways, They put all of my lines together for me for pretty cheap as I hate effin with steel braided lines. I always end up bleeding.

Had to get a little creative with the passenger side as the heater hose was in the way. Couple of different fittings and I got her plumbed. Below is a pic of what I did there.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back