Won't crank over...Check Charging System, here is what I've tried so far

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed my new engine, battery was low so I put it on a charger for a couple hrs, car started fine 3 times. Drove it around the neighborhood, seemed ok. Tried to restart it, it would not crank...Check Charging System... ---- ODO. Ok fine, car sat all winter, battery is 6 years old, bought a new battery. Hooked it up..."Check Charging System"

Additional info.
I do not seem to hear the fuel pump prime.
Voltage across the terminals for new battery is 12.5v
My code reader is unable to establish a connection.
The only wire that I know I did not reconnect was a big red one that went into a freeze plug.

I think this issue is some what common, but the solutions I've found by searching haven't worked.

1) checked every fuse with an ohmmeter in the engine compartment fuse box (BEC?) Here I discovered I had failed to tighten the fuse blocks fully. Thinking this would fix the problem, I tried to start without success.

2) check every fuse in the passenger fuse panel (SJB?) with an ohmmeter.

3) check the wires on the starter, still tight

4) check the ground connections at firewall, engine block, passenger side fender by the battery, all tight.

5) re-flash the ECM 4 times with my X-cal2

6) disconnect the battery for 30 minutes.

7) check the wires at the alternator

Now I'm posting here, hoping this is tech. I feel like there is a communication issue with the computer, but I don't know what else to check? Hopefully I have sufficiently searched and explained my issues such that this thread doesn't get closed or moved before someone can offer additional guidance.

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
I had same problem. Turned out to be the theft system. Try that and also the starter relay.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Do the radio, door locks, windows, etc. work? If so it is not a battery issue. You can try tapping the starter with a wood handle or rubber mallet while trying to start to see if it kicks over the starter solenoid. Double check the battery connections as well.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
I had same problem. Turned out to be the theft system. Try that and also the starter relay.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

So what did yu you do to fix it? I tried swapping all the relays around one at a time to no avail.

The dash read out also says DTE ODO DATA ERR. The only other weird electrical issues I have is that the fuse for the power seats has blown 3 times in the past year or so.

Last edited:

deebo05

forum member
Reaction score
if its pats related, have your tuner send you a file with pats disabled

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
is the red security light on the dash flashing?

BTW - this is a definitive example of what tech threads should be, it will not be moved or closed.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
Yes there is a red dash light with a car and a padlock. It flashes briefly every few seconds.

The key fob will lock, unlock, trunk release and sound the alarm.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Is that light flashing when you try to start it? It's normal for it to flash when the vehicle is off

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
The light goes out when I turn the key to the on position. I also tried my other key, no difference. Checked my clutch safety switch while I was at it. I can hear a click from what sounds like the SJB if that matters. I'll have to wait for the weekend to start taking it back apart.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC the padlock icon will flash quickly if its the PATS.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Even easier, check for power at the starter while someone else hits the key.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
Even easier, check for power at the starter while someone else hits the key.

The starter is fine, I arced the relay post to the positive and it turns. I checked voltage at the positive cable, 12.2v, I had someone turn the key to start and checked the relay wire at the starter no voltage, tried three times.

I have 12v at fuse 19 and 21 in the SJB. I can feel the fuel pump relay click when the key is turned on, but the pump does not prime.

No change in error messages. Any other ideas? How does one know if PCM is bad? I'm going to take the fuse box in the engine compartment back apart since that is something I touched.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Maybe it is something as simple as your neutral safety switch or clutch safety switch depending if your auto or stick. It's worth a try to investigate those.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
Well after double checking everything, I decided to re-flash the computer back to stock, and guess what...the fuel pump primed, the error message went away, and the car started on the first hit. I haven't tried yet tried putting the prior tune on it, but at least I have identified cause.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back